Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hood doesn't "pop"
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
deafen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Hood doesn't "pop" Reply with quote

Ever since I bought it back in 2003, the hood release on my '74 is, for lack of a better word, weak. In order to open the hood, I need to pull the release cable with my left hand and manually lift the hood with my right. After that, I can walk around to the front and undo the safety latch like normal.

This didn't bother me until I went to see another '74 that I was thinking about buying last weekend. On that one, a light pull on the release cable and the hood popped open (up to the safety latch) on its own. Now it's bugging me, and I want to figure out how to fix it.

The only spring I can see in the parts fiche is part of the safety latch (called "hood lock, upper part, front", and I have this spring.

Any ideas? Just slather the mechanism in silicone lube? Disassemble and replace the spring?
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Hood doesn't "pop" Reply with quote

Yes, you need to go down to your hardware store and buy a smaller spring and install it in the latch mechanism so that now you have two springs (like dual valve springs one inner and one outer). That hood is heavy!
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Hood doesn't "pop" Reply with quote

First lower the two rubber stops on each front corner to give the more tension. See if that helps. You can adjust the upper latch by loosening the nut at the spring and with a big screw driver move the latch pin with the spring around it . Try the stops first. Last make sure the upper latch is going into the lower latch on center. If this is not centered you can adjust by loosening the 2 bolts, 10 mm wrench and adjust.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Hood doesn't "pop" Reply with quote

Have the same problem...never gave it much thought either, but now I have a couple of "fixes" to try. Thanks for bringing it up!!! Very Happy
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Hood doesn't "pop" Reply with quote

So what do you do if you can't get the hood open? Be ready to take the bolts out that hold the windshield frame to hood so you can wiggle it around if needed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
partsman914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Hood doesn't "pop" Reply with quote

I had this problem too...took off the upper latch and realized the previous owner had modified the pin by adding an extra nut to try and add tension to the spring....I was wandering around the local junkyard and found a 944...opened the hood and found the same upper latch that we have. Bought it for $5 and put it on the car (the spring was far stiffer than the one from my car)..problem solved.
deafen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Hood doesn't "pop" Reply with quote

Mine has a stack of washers in the spring. It's clearly just not that springy anymore. Thing Shop has the spring and post for $9 plus shipping. But I'd rather go OE, because I don't always trust aftermarket.

$25 seems reasonable. Heck, maybe I'll even get one with the Porsche part number and class it up a little!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PORSCHE-944-951-TURBO-924S...mp;vxp=mtr
deafen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Hood doesn't "pop" Reply with quote

Yup, I got one with the Porsche part number ... makes me feel special!

Put it in yesterday, and after much adjusting, got it to latch properly. It still doesn't pop when I pull the release cable, but it does release it to the point where I can just pull the cable instead of having to put upward pressure on the hood while I pull it. I can just pull the cable, then walk around to the front and gently lift it up to get to the safety catch.

Given the other gremlins I'm chasing right now, I'll take it.
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Hood doesn't "pop" Reply with quote

Set your rubber stops so you need to push down slighty to close.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Hood doesn't "pop" Reply with quote

I have always just stood next to the hood with the fingers of my one hand in the crack between the hood and the body while reaching inside the cab with the other hand and pulling on the latch cable.
partsman914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Hood doesn't "pop" Reply with quote

After I put the one I found in the junk yard in, I did as Ron suggests and adjusted the two rubber feet....I have to push down slightly on the hood to close it, but it does now "pop"...just a bit, but you take the wins where you find them.
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Hood doesn't "pop" Reply with quote

That's the way it is supposed to work.
deafen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Hood doesn't "pop" Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
I have always just stood next to the hood with the fingers of my one hand in the crack between the hood and the body while reaching inside the cab with the other hand and pulling on the latch cable.

That's what I had to do before. For some reason, that particular little weirdness has always bugged the crap out of me. Thus why I dropped $25 on a new latch. Cheap therapy.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: