Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Another Casualty From the Body Shop - Brake Reservoir?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cavilry6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: Another Casualty From the Body Shop - Brake Reservoir? Reply with quote

Hey all!

Sorry...it's me again. I am trying to identify another part that appears to have been broken by the body shop. I BELIEVE it is the upper fluid reservoir from the master cylinder, but I can't find anything that looks the same on the various usual-suspect online stores. Can someone confirm what part the body shop broke from the photo, and ideally direct me to a replacement?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate2-32802.png]Click to view image[/URL]
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Another Casualty From the Body Shop - Brake Reservoir? Reply with quote

that be 68 only, and rare as rocking horse shit. good used only IF you can find one

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Another Casualty From the Body Shop - Brake Reservoir? Reply with quote

Might just want to replace it with a later style one, if you cant find a 68 only reservoir. You'll have to re-mount it somehow, but it may save you a lot of headache down the road.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Another Casualty From the Body Shop - Brake Reservoir? Reply with quote

I saw new 68 only reservoirs on CIP a couple months ago, someone is making them now.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Another Casualty From the Body Shop - Brake Reservoir? Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
I saw new 68 only reservoirs on CIP a couple months ago, someone is making them now.

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-211-611-313-E

Link

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Another Casualty From the Body Shop - Brake Reservoir? Reply with quote

wow...better buy a few. I had no idea these were being made. so, any time anyone complains about parts....hows that for a 1 year only deal? can't be too many 68's still alive

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Cavilry6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Another Casualty From the Body Shop - Brake Reservoir? Reply with quote

Shocked I love you all so much. Haha

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Another Casualty From the Body Shop - Brake Reservoir? Reply with quote

I just ordered one for mine too. They were out of stock last week. So much for registering for their "back in stock" notifications.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
djdh68dlux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Another Casualty From the Body Shop - Brake Reservoir? Reply with quote

WOW, didn't know anybody was making these. My original is intact, but I handle it CAREFULLY anytime I have to mess with it. Gonna have to order a few.

Looking for a VW club in Southern California? Check out Inland Valley Volkswagens: www.ivvw.org
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Casualty From the Body Shop - Brake Reservoir? Reply with quote

If you get all, and I do mean ALL, of the brake fluid off that you can plastic weld or glue that back together too.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Casualty From the Body Shop - Brake Reservoir? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
If you get all, and I do mean ALL, of the brake fluid off that you can plastic weld or glue that back together too.

Looks like the threads for the lid departed years ago and the whole thing is super brittle and crumbly.
I JB welded one years ago and it did hold up fine, until I put DOT4 in it, seems JB weld doesn't like that too much.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Casualty From the Body Shop - Brake Reservoir? Reply with quote

WOOHOOO!! My CIP1 1968 only brake reservoir showed up today.

And it come with all the precision quality that we've all come to expect from "Made in China" aftermarket parts Evil or Very Mad

GUARANFUKINTEED to not fit & leak profusely!

To get it to work, I carefully trimmed away the excess flashing with a small knife, then after getting the ID as round & centered as I could, I carefully reamed the opening out with a NEW, sharp 9/16" drill bit BY HAND!
After that, I removed the seal from the tube & carefully inserted it into the reservoir outlet & then pushed it down onto the tube. No sign of it leaking yet.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Cavilry6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Casualty From the Body Shop - Brake Reservoir? Reply with quote

Oh man! My comes in today...that is no bueno...

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Another Casualty From the Body Shop - Brake Reservoir? Reply with quote

CIP1 sent me an email requesting a review of this part, I sent them one explaining that while it looked like the part, it doesn't work without modification, they haven't posted my review, I doubt they will.

jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Casualty From the Body Shop - Brake Reservoir? Reply with quote

Well, consider yourself damned lucky that you got something to work with and turn into a usable part.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Casualty From the Body Shop - Brake Reservoir? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
CIP1 sent me an email requesting a review of this part, I sent them one explaining that while it looked like the part, it doesn't work without modification, they haven't posted my review, I doubt they will.

LOL, can't wait to see that happen.

Слава Україні!
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Casualty From the Body Shop - Brake Reservoir? Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
Well, consider yourself damned lucky that you got something to work with and turn into a usable part.

You're right, it works much better than just the tube, it's all a matter of perspective. And for $25 it was a much better deal than the used one for $100.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Casualty From the Body Shop - Brake Reservoir? Reply with quote

For those who aren't bent on originality and dont want to F' around with shitty Chinese parts there are workable options as well: http://www.wilwood.com/MasterCylinders/MasterCylinderProdAcc.aspx?itemno=260-10500

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: