Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Tire Sticky FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 174, 175, 176 ... 196, 197, 198  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
77_Bus_Girl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

crushie wrote:

The very best deal I could find was at one of my local ford dealers in edmonton of all things. 
I bought the general grabbers. And I hunted everywhere. 
5 for a little over 600. No install or balance though. If your savy you could do that.. 

That is a pretty good deal! (by Canadian standards... why do we get taken to the cleaners with tires?)

I did find these - free delivery -
https://pmctire.com/en/westlake-sc328-185r14-102-100q-8-d-65-psi.tire
which are the same as the ones at German Supply (but cheaper especially with free delivery...)

They also have these ones:
https://pmctire.com/en/goodride-westlake-sc301-185r14-102-100q-102-d-8.tire

is that one suitable also? Just wondering the difference...

I realized yesterday I have 195s on the bus, not sure if I should go back to 185...
crushie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

77_Bus_Girl wrote:
crushie wrote:

The very best deal I could find was at one of my local ford dealers in edmonton of all things. 
I bought the general grabbers. And I hunted everywhere. 
5 for a little over 600. No install or balance though. If your savy you could do that.. 

That is a pretty good deal! (by Canadian standards... why do we get taken to the cleaners with tires?)

I did find these - free delivery -
https://pmctire.com/en/westlake-sc328-185r14-102-100q-8-d-65-psi.tire
which are the same as the ones at German Supply (but cheaper especially with free delivery...)

They also have these ones:
https://pmctire.com/en/goodride-westlake-sc301-185r14-102-100q-102-d-8.tire

is that one suitable also? Just wondering the difference...

I realized yesterday I have 195s on the bus, not sure if I should go back to 185...

Check on the load range, I think you found a couple great options there. 
The general grabbers have a higher load range, but try and find a site that deal and explain those load range ratings so you know your at the minimum at the very least for what is required for your bus and understand the concept.

After all, is it worth risking your life to save a couple bucks? 
The contact portion of a tire with the road is pretty small so you want the best tire you can afford, 
My two cents.
77_Bus_Girl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

crushie wrote:

The general grabbers have a higher load range, but try and find a site that deal and explain those load range ratings so you know your at the minimum at the very least for what is required for your bus and understand the concept.

The contact portion of a tire with the road is pretty small so you want the best tire you can afford, 
My two cents.

They are both listed as Dimensions: 185 / / R 14 / 100Q... from what I can tell the load range is the 100Q part? Which, according to this:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=35

is 1764 lbs? I think I read it needs to be at least 1580? Or am I completely out to lunch? I've never bought tires before...

Wait, are they both winter tires? What does the Q mean? That above website suggests that means they are Studless & Studdable Winter Tires?
crushie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

77_Bus_Girl wrote:
crushie wrote:

My two cents.

They are both listed as Dimensions: 185 / / R 14 / 100Q... from what I can tell the load range is the 100Q part? Which, according to this:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=35

is 1764 lbs? I think I read it needs to be at least 1580? Or am I completely out to lunch? I've never bought tires before...

Wait, are they both winter tires? What does the Q mean? That above website suggests that means they are Studless & Studdable Winter Tires?

Try this link on tires, should help.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=55

Your link dealt with passenger tires, not light truck tires.
And you bring up a good point, you need to decide if your running your bus all year round which might entail winter driving conditions which will effect what tire you buy.

Last edited by crushie on Mon May 15, 2017 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

No you are correct and are doing OK.

The 185R14 is the stock size, with plenty of load capacity and sidewall strength and will work well for your 091 transaxle in your hilly climbs.

The Q means that they are pretty "grippy" and will also work well in a snow/ice condition, although you are not likely to get 50K miles on them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
77_Bus_Girl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

I don't drive him in the winter. We are strictly a May-October romance.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Me to, but the "stickiness" of grippy tires really pays off.

By the way I am a big fan of the Burgess Shale up there you know. I will be up there in the Yoho National Park in a few years. I have been wanting to go there for years.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
77_Bus_Girl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:
Me to, but the "stickiness" of grippy tires really pays off.

By the way I am a big fan of the Burgess Shale up there you know. I will be up there in the Yoho National Park in a few years. I have been wanting to go there for years.

Hmm. I may have to pull the trigger on these. My current tires are so old and worn.

Yoho is stunning - I may try to get there this summer en route to Idaho. The Kootenays are amazing too if you're 'in the area'.
D/A/N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 3:22 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Anyone have any experience with these "Lionhart" tires? From what little research I did, they're China made for the light truck and camper market. About $100 cheaper than the other brands for a set of 4 but obviously tires aren't something take risks on:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-NEW-Lionhart-LH-HTS-195R...mp;vxp=mtr
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

My dad always told me to invest in good tires, good brakes, and good lights. Everything else is negotiable.

It was good advice then and it still is.
static
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

In my opinion, pretty much all radial, reinforced, properly rated tires available today are more than good enough for our needs.

Our buses are not race cars. They do not participate in weekend SCCA autocross races. They rarely go over 65 mph.

And yes, they're made in China (just like the computer that you're using right now) where commercial minivans with our tire size rule the roads.

(Let me save you some trouble. Just below this post is where the next poster states "Oh, but I love my Hankook RA08 tires." and the next person says "But you could have saved money if you bought them on eBay" and the next person says "No, you really mean the RA18s!" and the next person says "I prefer the meaty look of the AT Grabber tires..")
77_Bus_Girl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

hmm What about the Triangle TR645? The local shop here says they are on of the better of the Chinese brands. $112 plus $25 install per. (CAD)
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

obnoxiousblue wrote:
Anyone familiar with the Yokohama Y356?

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=...mpare1=yes

I have a set of these on my 67' kombi in 195/75 14". I was previously running passenger car tires which were really sketchy (my first bus, didn't read up about tires). The Yokohama Y356's made a massive difference in handling, and the spare fits nicely in the walkthru spare tire well. I recommend them!
gleason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Ok, here's my scene. 74 bay with 2.5" WW dropped spindles on the front. Rear is stock height. Looking at putting these tires on. 205/70-15 http://www.busdepot.com/e2057015 as they have a good price and are close to stock size. I want to run them on 3.5"
backspace https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C32-GB1B rims. Hate to order everything and find out I have rubbing on the sides or the fenderwells. Anybody have any experience or idea's on this Randy in Maine, what you think??
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 3:47 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

That is a pretty good tire for pretty cheap money.

I think they should fit in the rear. Let us know.
gleason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

I guess I'm a little more concerned with the front as the bus does have the 2.5" drop. Currently have about 3- 4" between tire and arch and by looking at this, 24.93 (633.1) vs 26.3 (668) 1.37 (34.9) 5.5% I will gain only about 5/8"on top/bottom or about 1.4" total. Hopefully won't have rubbing when I put my 270 # in it! Very Happy What is that offset compared to the original on. I'm assuming that's why the rear is more concern. These BRM's have a 3 3/4" offset which I'm assuming is worse for my case? https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC-C10-6628 I think the Gasburners have the least offset and I really don't want to go to a 17" wheel/tire. I know it's not a Westy so the sidewall isn't as critical, but I want it to be stable on the highway. Thanks for the input.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Really no difference between a Westy and a transporter when it comes to tires.
gleason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

I just notice that Cip1 has a note on some of their wheels that camper may need to check the weight/class of the tires on their vehicles when going with custom wheels. I sent you a message on another matter too Randy!
mainstreetprod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

RE: Chinese tires, I've had a lot of bad products from China but so far tires isn't one of them. I've run Kumho tires on my daily drivers for years and had no issues. Their plants are in China and South Korea.
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

I'll soon be buying new 14" tires for my '69 camper. I have M+S rated rear tires. Most of my driving is highway to ski destinations. I've often driven on/in the snow. At one time I had some very aggressive tires on the front that wore themselves out on the highway. I'm wondering what tread I want on the tires I'll be buying. I'll probably try and get the same as the present rear tires. That might prevent harmonics and would make flat tires and a spare much simpler. I do want a tire that is easy on the arms and shoulders when turning. My Vanagon with power steering has made me a spoiled child.

Aloha
tp
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 174, 175, 176 ... 196, 197, 198  Next
Jump to:
Page 175 of 198

Jump to: