Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
If you are using long bolts to bolt all the way through the bracket & frame rail, be sure to use a piece of pipe as a sleeve to avoid crushing the frame rail

The pipe sleeve would only help if I made the frame hole bigger to accommodate it in order to disperse the load over a large area, which I do not want to do. I'll be using the same bolts that I took out to put back in.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

What about mounting the engine, then attaching the brackets so that you know they are in the perfect position?
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

ccpalmer wrote:
What about mounting the engine, then attaching the brackets so that you know they are in the perfect position?

That thought crossed my mind as well. My thought was if I know the angle, I can get it close enough then make minor adjustments (if needed) when I get to the shop to weld it in. And I'm still waiting on a couple small pieces before putting in the engine, and mounting the brackets was something I could do without those last few pieces.

Do you think I should wait and line it up then drill? ... it seems like a safer bet...

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:

Do you think I should wait and line it up then drill? ... it seems like a safer bet...

A little more work, but that's what I'd do.
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

I'm waiting on an order from the bus depot and a scrap yard. In the mean time I did set my odometer for the new engine. It took a while.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

His new heart is in place, still needs plumbed. But I'm done for the night, this weekend Im hoping to be moving under her own power again.

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Things have been happening. I got my oil filter mounted, I got my engine hanger bolted in (I know, not great but I have to be able to get the bus to the shop to weld them in.), I got the engine wired up (still need to clean up my wiring a little), I got my accelerator cable hooked up (but the rear engine seal is pushing down on it causing fast idle, and probably other issues I don't know about yet), I got my fuel lines all plumbed, Changed my break in oil to Valvoline VR1 10W-30 racing oil (3.5qts after building oil pressure and refilling), and I got her running first try. Thank you David Satterly for putting together a nice engine. Time will tell overall quality, but she started up nice and easy even after sitting for 3 weeks. I couldn't be happier as of now! A quick video for everyone:

Link

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

This is the background on my phone.

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

I've gotten a bit more done. I've adjusted my passenger side brakes (not yet tested), put in my engine seal and valance (which fought me the entire way... 😠, put back in my old shifter because the new one was too long and wouldn't let me into reverse...😠 but, I'll be going out on the road after putting my bumper on,

airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Excellent, welcome back to the Type1 Club!!

I think you'll enjoy it, and you'll enjoy it even more once you get the proper air cleaner in there with the preheat pipe for your silly "weather."

Missing that Vanilla Java Porter…………

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 4:00 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Hey Spike, You going to Yipsi?
I'll be set up in the swap meet again, stop in and we can swap lie's Laughing
I think I have a stock air filter setup for u, come check it out, thanks,Madmike
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Awesome! Just in time for Bus driving weather!
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

madmike wrote:
Hey Spike, You going to Yipsi?
I'll be set up in the swap meet again, stop in and we can swap lie's Laughing
I think I have a stock air filter setup for u, come check it out, thanks,Madmike

lol, I'll start storing up some lies in the ol' noggin. I will be there, It's what I am working towards.

Do you usually do pretty well selling parts at this swap meet? I'm debating if it will be worth paying the exta money to be a vender.

And CC: Yup Yup! can't wait. It is killing me that I didn't get to test drive it last night. I have a feeling I have more brake adjustments to do, but I'll be driving in no time.

I have tie rods, ball joints, the rest of my exhaust, and a few other odds and ends coming in the mail at the end of this week or early next week. So I'll at least be putting on Tie Rods next week. Hopefully ill get to take some time off from work to get more done.

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Excellent, welcome back to the Type1 Club!!

I think you'll enjoy it, and you'll enjoy it even more once you get the proper air cleaner in there with the preheat pipe for your silly "weather."

Missing that Vanilla Java Porter…………

MMMMmmmm VJP... don't worry Robbie, I'll have one for you tomorrow night. Seeing that it still isn't above 60 here... Mad

And I don't have a stand in my bus anymore, thanks to my PO's excellent modification skills. I'll look into the stock air cleaner setup, though it is pretty low on my list of things to do right now.

madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 3:34 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Hey Spike, I usually do ok 'swappin' ,,at least pay for the trip Wink
Hopefully Laughing I just drove my bus to Alpena an back with the new steering gear box ,,, and my shoulders aren't as sore Cool
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 3:34 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Hopefully Laughing I just drove my bus to Alpena an back with the new steering gear box ,,, and my shoulders aren't as sore Cool
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

madmike wrote:

Awesome, if I had what you're selling I'd profit for sure then. Too bad all I have is a type 4 engine minus the heater boxes and cylinders... hmm... maybe.

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Welp, I am stuck currently because every time I brake, the engine slowly loses rpm and dies. Starting back up is a little rough too. I have to turn it over for a while. I've only driven 30 miles since I put the engine in. I checked the float, it seems good and I have gas in it when I stopped. I haven't done a valve job or any new tuning. And I don't see any obvious electrical mishaps. Hmm... this might be a AAA situation. I'm only 8 miles from home. Anyways it is still good because I'm driving again! The bumper and muffler are on and everything is buttoned back up. Here are some pictures.

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

I drove home. I think my carb mainly just needed a rebuild. Have a kit on order, imams I spent tonight cleaning the carb. It is nice and shinny.
Berrymans worked well. And I can continue to use it for future cleaning. I suggest it.

Dirty parts:

Clean parts:

Is the "cut" in the larger tube there supposed to be there? It seems to go pretty deep.

ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:

Is the "cut" in the larger tube there supposed to be there? It seems to go pretty deep.

No, it's not.

Your Bus has no power brakes, correct?

Tim at Volkzbitz is the guy for carb rebuilds.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 30

Jump to: