Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1979 Transporter - "Wheatbread"
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: First bus - 1979 Transporter Reply with quote

riverside66 wrote:
This is the first time I've disassembled any engine, so I don't really know what I'm seeing here (as far as condition is concerned) other than it looks like it needs a good cleaning!

I'll be pulling the hydraulic lifters shortly, and then possibly the oil pump, but then the teardown will stop until I get my vw yoke for my stand.

What do you guys think? Anything stand out to you? Any signs of damage I should be concerned with?

I'm fairly new to engine tear down too, but it looks better than mine. I'd say clean her up and slap her back together (assuming she was running well before the tear down).
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
riverside66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: First bus - 1979 Transporter Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:

I'm fairly new to engine tear down too, but it looks better than mine. I'd say clean her up and slap her back together (assuming she was running well before the tear down).

Thanks Spike, good to know!
riverside66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: First bus - 1979 Transporter Reply with quote

Lifters are out. Following Tom Wilson's book, I used an egg crate to keep track of where they came out of, then I also labeled each one in the photo itself.

Some of the lifters have almost no concave. Others have a slight concave. I did my best to highlight the surface of the lifters in the photos using lighting, but it was tough to get really clear shots since the surface details are so subtle.

What do you think? Is this wear enough to warrant replacing?

I drew this simple diagram to correspond with my lifter labels on the egg crate:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by riverside66 on Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
riverside66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: First bus - 1979 Transporter Reply with quote

And here's the oil pump. This thing was a BEAR to get out! I removed the 4 nuts that secure the pump to the case, and removed the 3 nuts on the left side of the case as well. Prying (gently) with screwdrivers wasn't getting anywhere, so I ended up using a thin crowbar, placing one end of the bar under the pump "wing", then tapping lightly on the other end with a hammer. Each few mm, I'd switch sides. This worked the best and left relatively no scarring on the case or pump.

Looks pretty good to me.

I just realized that I forgot to check for scoring under the 2 gears. I'll get to that later.
riverside66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 Transporter - "Wheatbread Reply with quote

Lazy Saturday update. Picked up some citrus degreaser at Wal-Mart and gave the oil pump a good scrubbing. Mmmmm, clean parts...

riverside66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1979 Transporter - "Wheatbread" Reply with quote

Simple aesthetics update:

A couple of months back or so I noticed that I was missing one of the seat belt receptacles for the middle bench seat. I finally found a single one for sale on ebay at a decent price and picked it up. It was nice having all seat belts in place, but it kind of bugged me that the 'Press' button was very faded when all of my other belt buttons are bright orange. I know... Rolling Eyes

Well long story short, I found a couple of sellers (again, on ebay) who make orange Press stickers for these seat belts!

Check it out!

Before:

After:

Not bad huh!? It's the little things.

Oh, and if you happen to be looking for a middle seat belt receptacle, it's part no. 221 857 721 A
riverside66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1979 Transporter - "Wheatbread" Reply with quote

Finally split the case and got a chance to take a look at the inside of this engine.

Looks like there was a bit of metal flaking (?) on one of the cam bearings. Regardless, the cam is trash, as it's got noticeable wear on the lobes.

riverside66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1979 Transporter - "Wheatbread" Reply with quote

Shots of the case:

riverside66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1979 Transporter - "Wheatbread" Reply with quote

Main bearings:

Crank. Rod side clearance is in spec. 3 were .007, and 1 was .010:

Gears look good to me:

riverside66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1979 Transporter - "Wheatbread" Reply with quote

What I know so far:

Camshaft: The cam lobes had wear that I could feel, so the cam is trash. The #2 cam bearing had some interesting metal flaking going on, but there isn't any loose metal in the case (not that I've found yet anyway).

The crankcase: Journals have some streaking, but all dowels were present, so I don't think the bearings were spinning (is that right?). In Tom Wilson's book, he mentions streaking is normal. Does the streaking in my case journals look normal?

The crankshaft: The distributor gear and cam gear look pretty good to me. No chips/chunks missing that I can see. The journal under the #1 and #2 main bearings also have some streaking, but no feel-able grooves worn in them (haven't seen or felt under the #3). I haven't removed the rods yet. I did check the side end play of the rods, and all were .007 except for one which was .010.

At this point, I'm not completely sure what to do. Here's what I think I should do (at a minimum):

-Have the crank cleaned and polished
-Have the case cleaned and inspected
-Drill and tap the oil galleys in the case
-Have the Rods cleaned, new rod bearings
-Have the mass balanced

Few questions I have:

How can I tell if my crank (and it's bearings) are good to go, or if they need work (and bearings replaced)? Is there a way I can measure them at this point?

Is my list above complete?

I am planning on picking up new Mahle pistons and cylinders soon. When it comes to balancing, do those need to be present and balanced with the crank and rods?

Thanks in advance!
riverside66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1979 Transporter - "Wheatbread" Reply with quote

The "Things I can do for free" update...

Cut my original 'C' cam gear off the cam. I'll be re-using this.

Removed the rods.

1st stage cleaning: Pressure washed the engine. This was a seriously messy job! I think I had about 3 layers of dirt and oil on all areas where my skin wasn't covered. Shocked
Next stage, off to the shop for a deeper cleaning

riverside66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1979 Transporter - "Wheatbread" Reply with quote

Leaning heavily towards picking a set of these up. Anyone have any experience with them? Good/bad?

http://type4store.com/products/connecting-rods/h-beam-5160-24-pin-20-rj.html
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1979 Transporter - "Wheatbread" Reply with quote

riverside66 wrote:
Leaning heavily towards picking a set of these up. Anyone have any experience with them? Good/bad?

http://type4store.com/products/connecting-rods/h-beam-5160-24-pin-20-rj.html

I have not, though the performance / engine / transmission forum guys would have lots of info on them I bet.

by the look of that cam bearing it is a good thing you didn't listen to me and broke into it anyways. Happy Cleaning!
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
riverside66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1979 Transporter - "Wheatbread" Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:

by the look of that cam bearing it is a good thing you didn't listen to me and broke into it anyways. Happy Cleaning!

Haha, right?! My wife asked me (more than once if I recall correctly) "If it was running before you pulled it, why are you tearing it apart?" I showed her the cam bearing, and the wear on the lobes. Legit question, legit answer.
riverside66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1979 Transporter - "Wheatbread" Reply with quote

Story so far: Originally, I removed my bus's engine to address an oil leak in the clutch area which was causing the clutch to chatter. With the engine out, I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to inspect and access the condition of this engine. My goal, ultimately, is for this bus to be my daily. I sold my previous daily to reduce outgoing expenses and to make more budget room for the expense of the bus. My wife still has her daily and so we've adjusted to life with one working car.

I'm pretty detail oriented, and like to keep track of what I plan/spend, so I've got two Excel sheets going: One for tracking what has been spent, and one for planning out the build/what will be or may be spent. My goal, aside from building a stock, long lasting engine, is to try to keep the budget at around 4k.

In planning, I'm slowly but surely starting to move past that budget, so I'd like to get some feedback from the community here concerning this build plan. What items are truly justifiable in their expense, and which might be ok to not have the top-of-the-line? Many of you guys in this forum have built/rebuilt Type 4's before, so any feedback you can provide on what you did, or would do differently, would be appreciated.

Here are the biggest items on the plan as it currently stands:
HAM Heads: $1,520.00
-An alternative, is having my heads rebuilt by Headflow Masters: $900.00
-Both are very well known and reputable builders
-That's a $600ish difference. Is $300 more per head justifiable for a stock rebuild?

Aircooled.Net: CB Performance Dual IDF Weber Carburetors, plus power brake tap (with carb service): $914.95

Aircooled.Net: Web Cam Type 4 Camshaft, 73/86 Grind (with Web Cam Solid Lifters): $339.95

Aircooled.Net: Heavy Duty Aluminum Pushrods, Type 4, for Solid Lifters: $139.95

Type4Store: Chromoly H-Beam Connecting Rods $299.95 (ARP bolts included)
-I still have my stock rods, but I damaged one of the rod bolts when removing one of the rods. When rods are reconditioned, are the bolts replaced? I haven't been able to find that out yet, so I just started pricing out sets of already reconditioned rods. The H beam rods are lighter, and in the grand scheme of things, not THAT much more than a set of 4 reconditioned stock rods.

Type4Store: HD Rocker Shafts (set of 4): $90.00

Awesome Powdercoat: 85-90 Thermostat and cable: $139.00

New Mahle P&C's are on the way, already purchased. No machine work has been done to anything yet.

Thoughts?
stwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1979 Transporter - "Wheatbread" Reply with quote

Just wanted to mention, the detail on your engine rebuild along with the pictures are very helpful. I'll be referring to them when I'm working on my engine this fall.

Wish I could be more helpful on your item breakdown but I'll leave that to the experts.
riverside66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1979 Transporter - "Wheatbread" Reply with quote

stwesty wrote:
Just wanted to mention, the detail on your engine rebuild along with the pictures are very helpful. I'll be referring to them when I'm working on my engine this fall.

This is exactly why I continue with the updates, so thank you for the comment letting me know. Smile

Hit me up whenever you start your rebuild! I'll definitely be more than happy to share in what I've learned (successes and mistakes).

As an FYI to you (and anyone else who can benefit from this thread) my go-to resources are:

-Jake Raby's Bug-Me Vol. 8

-Tom Wilson's 'How to rebuild your Volkswagen engine'

-Bentley shop manual

-Clatter's 'Cheap Junk 1971 Build' page:
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&am...279bee2518

-Richard Atwell's page:
http://www.ratwell.com/
riverside66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 Transporter - "Wheatbread" Reply with quote

In the lulls between the engine build, I try to keep busy/motivated by working on other areas of the bus that need some attention.

One such area was the front grille:

The area around the grill had a decent amount of rust, a lot of it due to the caulking around the grille from the PO. Not really sure why you'd caulk that area up when the grille itself is open air, but whatever.

Spent some time wire wheeling the caulking and rust away, which revealed multiple rust holes (none bigger then 1") on the underside of the top edge (where you can still see the caulking in the photo above). De-greased the metal, then patched that up with a little bit of Bondo glass, and used a sander to re-shape the edge as best I could. Took a trip to Lowes with the grille itself and had them paint match it for some semi-gloss exterior paint (I know, I've become "that guy"). Well, the paint doesn't match, but it's a band-aid fix anyway until I can afford a proper respray (for the whole bus).

It ain't pretty, but it's better than it was! Very Happy

bruehoyt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 Transporter - "Wheatbread" Reply with quote

nice bus. great pics - especially of engine rebuild.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
riverside66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 Transporter - "Wheatbread" Reply with quote

bruehoyt wrote:
nice bus. great pics - especially of engine rebuild.

Thanks bruehoyt!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: