Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Any mechanics in Oakland California?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pineapplejellybeans
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:52 pm    Post subject: Any mechanics in Oakland California? Reply with quote

Hi! I've just moved to Oakland and have been searching for a reliable mechanic that I can keep going back to that knows 71 busses really well. Does anyone know of any?

I do really like Buslab, but they are pretty pricey. I'm mostly looking for someone who could do general check ups every few months or so and other minor work. (would prefer going to a shop, but open to folks that are reliable and have time for repairwork from time to time.)

(also looking for shop recommendations that are affordable to do minor bodywork repair, mainly got a bunch of leaks that need fixing. I've gotten gnarly black mold twice already, had to rip out the flooring twice.

please send an email to [email protected] if you are my magick oakland bus mechanic please. Smile

Thank you berry mucho! Smile
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Any mechanics in Oakland California? Reply with quote

I've had some work done on my Baywindow at Precision People's Auto a few years ago. Nice mellow peeps and reasonable too.
http://precisionpeoplescarrepair.com/home.html

Just a regular guy
static
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Any mechanics in Oakland California? Reply with quote

Many, many years ago, I had Precision People's Car Repair do something or other to my 1970 Westy (which I got rid of well over 20 years ago),
When they were finished doing the work, the mechanic parked the bus out on the street, about a block away, but neglected to lock the sliding door.

My precious under-dash Pioneer 500 Supertuner cassette deck was swiped.
(Under-dash cassette deck? Well, I did say that it was a long time ago)

I sued them in Small Claims Court and won. They appealed.
At the next court date, the Judge admonished them for having no new argument, and ruled in my favor.

I got my $130 check shortly thereafter.

(Old Berkeley codger fun fact: Precision People's was owned by Evan Meyer, the guy who I sued. Over in Albany, there was/is a good shop called Dan Meyer Auto Care that is owned by Dana Meyer, Evan Meyer's brother. Though they do not service aircooled, their shop truck used to be a 1971 crew cab.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pantone149
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Any mechanics in Oakland California? Reply with quote

I realize the geography here, but consider Sonoma Volkswagen Repair in Glen Ellen. Gary and Tim are some of the best around, open Saturday, closed Monday.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Any mechanics in Oakland California? Reply with quote

I drove up to Oakland and bought an engine block from Chris Morrice. He sells a lot of parts. I do not know if he does mechanic work, but he may be able to give you a shop recommendation. He is in Oakland, near Fruitvale.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=19586
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vova
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Any mechanics in Oakland California? Reply with quote

Not Oakland but Josh at JP automotive is redwood city is really good.
https://www.facebook.com/Bay-Area-VW-Owners-1464253410267781/
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 3:00 am    Post subject: Re: Any mechanics in Oakland California? Reply with quote

static wrote:
Many, many years ago, I had Precision People's Car Repair do something or other to my 1970 Westy (which I got rid of well over 20 years ago),
When they were finished doing the work, the mechanic parked the bus out on the street, about a block away, but neglected to lock the sliding door.

At the next court date, the Judge admonished them for having no new argument, and ruled in my favor.

(Old Berkeley codger fun fact: Precision People's was owned by Evan Meyer, the guy who I sued. Over in Albany, there was/is a good shop called Dan Meyer Auto Care that is owned by Dana Meyer, Evan Meyer's brother. Though they do not service aircooled, their shop truck used to be a 1971 crew cab.)

What's coincidence! I had the same deck installed by these guys for$ 300 about the same time! Still works great!
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Any mechanics in Oakland California? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
static wrote:

What's coincidence! I had the same deck installed by these guys for$ 300 about the same time! Still works great!
Small world Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
pineapplejellybeans
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Any mechanics in Oakland California? Reply with quote

thanks for all the suggestions!
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Any mechanics in Oakland California? Reply with quote

Why don't you pay someone knowledgeable to teach you the basic and routine maintenance? Razz

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Any mechanics in Oakland California? Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Why don't you pay someone knowledgeable to teach you the basic and routine maintenance? Razz

Robbie

Do you know someone who does this? I knew a guy once but he was always too busy with Lego...
static
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Any mechanics in Oakland California? Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:

Robbie

Amskeptic!
http://www.itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewforum.php?f=76
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Any mechanics in Oakland California? Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:

Robbie

Huh sounds like a decent business model.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: