Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

tossing your WTB ad in here to help this thread help you. not everyone will goto the ad.

67ctbug wrote:
[WTB] 1968-1979 Bus/Camper Price: 1500
Hi! I'm looking for a bus for my dad! It Needs to be in running condition and needs to have a solid frame. He had one in high school, a 1974 in Yosemite/Bali yellow, and now that he has two children (me 15, and sister 1 1/2) he wasn't able to keep it. He loved it so much and I really want to find him one again. It doesn't matter what year as long as it has a good frame and runs. I would love to have it by August, because we are planning a road trip to South Carolina to see the eclipse. Also if you have any leads on one tell me, I'm all ears! The ultimate one would be a '74 in the Yosemite/Bali yellow. I'd really love to find one for him, he loved it a ton! You can email me with the one in the description or PM me

What Skillz said X's3 it's best to readjust your expectations now so you don't come out disappointed and miss your goals (the eclipse).
you will NOT find a ~$2k bus that'll drive from CT to SC and back in August heat.
and if you do, we've a few VWs from NY camping at Myrtle Beach State park that weekend august 19-20 drop by or drop me a PM.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

Not in Ct but a pretty good deal, even runs and still had the middle seat.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2051385
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Cavilry6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

Sheesh. The crushers of dreams! Haha. I get what y'all are trying to do, but there's something to be said for a bit of tact.

No, you won't easily find a good running, decent condition bus for $1500. But you never know...I got a perfect runner, complete Westy interior, with some body damage but a good frame for $4k...and that is in Silicon Valley prices...

I commend you for what you're after for your pops. I did a similar thing with a $1000 motorcycle a few years back and it was a great project for us.

Keep your ear to the ground, take people's forum advice with a grain of salt, and save up money while you keep looking. Because if you can balloon that $1,500 to a bit more, you might be able to find something to "get you in."

But...so you know, you will be spending another 5-10k to get it right.

[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate2-32802.png]Click to view image[/URL]
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

Cavilry6 wrote:
Sheesh. The crushers of dreams! Haha. I get what y'all are trying to do, but there's something to be said for a bit of tact..

what? how was anything said by others or myself not "tactful"? I mean really, I could have said something way more colorful.....but that is the truth....

sitting here and telling the o/p there is a glut of running, driving campers for 1800 isn't going to help him. man, I just can't believe how butthurt people get for telling the truth told to them.

if he was looking to buy now, fix later than yes, his budget may be possible, but the budget/time line just isn't going to happen unless somehow he gets the score of the century...possible? sure. likely? not so much.

furthermore if he did find a 1500 bus on the west coast, it's 1K to get it here....damned if you do, damned if you don't.......

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Cavilry6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Cavilry6 wrote:
Sheesh. The crushers of dreams! Haha. I get what y'all are trying to do, but there's something to be said for a bit of tact..

what? how was anything said by others or myself not "tactful"? I mean really, I could have said something way more colorful.....but that is the truth....

Sorry, I wasn't directing that at you. More the comments such as: "let go"

Your reply was informative and reasonable, no problems there. But telling a 15 year old to simply "let go" is a big time bummer. And I respect what this kid is trying to do.

[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate2-32802.png]Click to view image[/URL]
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

I'm not hurt by your guys' comments, the "let go" was a bit of a shock though. That price in the WTB ad is actually higher than we have now. A car accident and some other things does that. I know how much a bus goes for now too. My step mom asked me what I thought a runner could be had for and I said $3000-$5000, but she said to put $1500. My mom wants one now too so I figure if I get this long term project and get it at least running and safe, we'll all be happy. We can all have a bus that is at least safe and slowly get it back to perfect.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

if the family is behind you, the sky is the limit and it's nice to have their support. just DO NOT settle on a bus...the right one will find you and will take time.

keep looking. it will happen when the time is right

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

Skills, did you see the '77 on Craigslist? What do you think?
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
I dont think it's a runner...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I think it'll be cheap though.

I thought I had seen that Bus recentley.......

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Those Buses are TOAST !! That is why they are still there, they are Parts buses at best, I looked at them a few months ago, not worth my time to dig them out, just saying......

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

If you're shopping, here's one in Vermont I found recently.

https://vermont.craigslist.org/cto/6084615744.html

New cargo floor, but it needs some pretty good work everywhere else, and I'm not convinced you won't tear up the nice new floor doing all of that.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

The price of the '72 really depends on how the photos look. It does look rough though. I saw that '74 it's too much, when I say budget went down, I mean it went down to like less than 1000. I found a '77 for a 1000.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

cmonSTART wrote:

New cargo floor, but it needs some pretty good work everywhere else, and I'm not convinced you won't tear up the nice new floor doing all of that.

Hey, did you go look at that Bus ?? I was wondering how rough the rust was, the owner seems like he is new to Buses ?

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

Just got pictures of that bus, it's a '73 with no engine. If it's cheap enough I think i'll dig it out.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

crukab wrote:
cmonSTART wrote:

Hey, did you go look at that Bus ?? I was wondering how rough the rust was, the owner seems like he is new to Buses ?

No, just watched the ad for a bit. There's rust in the rockers visible in the photos and he has a new set of inner sills sitting inside the bus visible in one photo. That one is going to need a lot of rust repair.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
Skills, did you see the '77 on Craigslist? What do you think?

no I didn't

if it's from a guy named rich and/or it's in new haven run. another flipper, but he is a turd flipper.

if crukab says it's junk, it's junk. I trust his opinion on this. as he points out, if they were good, they wouldn't be there.

you need to STOP being in a hurry. otherwise you will buy more junk, waste more money and be right back to square one.....the buses you posted look like 3-500 parts buses.

cream always rises to the top. don't just keep looking at these low end buses....even in the 1500 range, 95% of them are over priced parts buses posted by sellers targeting guys like you

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

I looked at the ad for the '77 and it doesn't even have a dash. Everything in my range is a "parts" bus. If its cheap enough I could really care less. I'm not in a real hurry, just looking around and checking out what new ones pop up. I've got a ton of time to take a piece of junk bus and make it nice. I asked the guy in Mass. what he wants for it and am waiting for a response. I know its a HUGE project, but I could really care less. Skills, you know what my last bus looked like...
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

oy.....

well you can lead a horse to water, but you can't force him to drink. trust me, rust repair is NOT fun, or cheap. again, that 1000.00 bus will cost you years to make it to that 5-8K bus.

trying to save you from the same mistakes I made....I bought my first bus at 11....I have been down this road. but whatever. once you walk backwards a few times, you'll get it.....best of luck

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
oy.....

well you can lead a horse to water, but you can't force him to drink. trust me, rust repair is NOT fun, or cheap. again, that 1000.00 bus will cost you years to make it to that 5-8K bus.

trying to save you from the same mistakes I made....I bought my first bus at 11....I have been down this road. but whatever. once you walk backwards a few times, you'll get it.....best of luck

I doubt he'll want a $1000 for it. I love rust repair the fitting of the metal and welding is fun to me...maybe just me. Eh, we'll see what he says...
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

Hate to throw a spanner in the works, but here goes,you have being looking for a bus with a $1500 budget for a long time,with no increase in budget,If you can,t save a few bucks every month to increase the budget ,how do you plan on repairing a rusted bus,parts are not cheap,even if you make your own panels,you still need tools and supplies.
If you still have you bug work away on it,have some fun with it and hone your skills,try to stash a few bucks away each month until the right bus project comes along.
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

All the money goes to the bug Laughing The bus is really a non priority I just keep an eye out for deals. The plan for fixing a rusted out bus is, to get a repair panel or two every few months and make some of my own.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 22

Jump to: