Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My champagne getaway
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rusty busty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: My champagne getaway Reply with quote

Well I blew my wad on a champagne getaway.

Laughing

It looks like it's been taken care of, and may not have that many miles on it. The interior is in ok shape. The front seats are original to the camper conversion and they're in good shape lots of spring to them. Not too beat down and no rips. The laminate wood inside is crumbling though. It's got brand new tires with 0 miles on them. Also has newish dansk heat exchangers. Looks like the heating system is complete including a bn6 underneath.

It hasn't run in a couple of years. 2 of the wheels were stuck but became unstuck by pulling the bus forward then backwards. The only working brake is the parking brake. The pedal just goes to the floor. The gas is old and smells like varnish. The only rust is in the rockers and bottom of the dogleg. Looks good underneath. Jacking points, outriggers, battery trays aren't bad. I'll start by cleaning it up a bit, then tackle the brakes and fuel system. Then see if she'll start. Needs a windshield seal and the seal around those triangle windows in the penthouse.
My plan is to get it running then I can fix the rest of it as I drive it around. Cool
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by rusty busty on Tue May 16, 2017 3:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: My champagne getaway Reply with quote

Champagne tastes on a Bus budget. Laughing

Sadly, the two aren't so far apart anymore. Crying or Very sad

Looks good, watch out for those low clearances... & crosswinds.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
rusty busty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: My champagne getaway Reply with quote

Thanks!

I've found that this hobby can still be affordable with a bit of patients and luck. And also being quick to jump on a deal when it comes up. In the past few months I've scored some amazing deals on parts. I think I paid a fair price for this bus too, but I had to be quick. 2 people were going to come across from the island the next day to see it if I didn't buy it.
static
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: My champagne getaway Reply with quote

rusty busty wrote:
I've found that this hobby can still be affordable with a bit of patients and luck.

Which is why only Doctors can afford buses nowadays.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rusty busty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: My champagne getaway Reply with quote

static wrote:
rusty busty wrote:
I've found that this hobby can still be affordable with a bit of patients and luck.

Which is why only Doctors can afford buses nowadays.

Patience might help too Laughing
Damn autocorrect
Magion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: My champagne getaway Reply with quote

Congrats! I noticed the ad on craigslist. I thought it was pretty sweet deal
curtp07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: My champagne getaway Reply with quote

Pick up any wad left from the blow...cause you're gonna need it Smile

Nice bus and good luck! Slow and steady...still $$$
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: My champagne getaway Reply with quote

Kick ass! Cool Good gawd, man! That is SOOOO seventies! Can't say I've ever seen anything like that. You will get a lot of interest and thumbs up for many years, no doubt.

Where is the mini disco ball going to hang? Very Happy Did it come with hookers and blow?

I really enojoyed my CE-1 fuel injected engine while I had it and still regret selling it.

Don't get in a hurry and try to get it running right of the bat. The fuel injection system is intolerant of shortcuts. TAKE YOUR TIME learning the fuel injection system, and you will come to learn it is a well-designed plan and will serve you for years. But you must respect each and every part... like someone here said: The L-jet is like a symphony; each player depends on the other to make beautiful music.

So you can't cheat it and have faulty connections, small vacuum leaks, untested parts, assumptions or cut corners.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rusty busty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: My champagne getaway Reply with quote

Martaskukla wrote:
Congrats! I noticed the ad on craigslist. I thought it was pretty sweet deal

Thanks! I almost missed it. It was posted in the rv section and didn't have the key words I usually search for; "vw bus" or "westfalia" in the ad.

@curtp07
I plan to sell my 73 westy and collection of early-late bay parts and westy stuff. That should give me a head start.

@Wasted youth
It seems to be a provide your own hookers and blow kind of situation. The disco ball will either hang from the rear view mirror, or it'll hang dead center in the bus just so I whack my head on it when I'm least expecting it. I will miss the forehead lacerations that the westy interior provided though. Embarassed
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: My champagne getaway Reply with quote

I see it has the 70 amp alt so does it have a BN6 gas heater since its a Canandian bus?
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rusty busty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: My champagne getaway Reply with quote

Bleyseng wrote:
I see it has the 70 amp alt so does it have a BN6 gas heater since its a Canandian bus?

Yes sir bn6 underneath. That's what the extra exhaust pipe is for just foreword of the driver's side rear tire.

I will no longer need to scrape the ice from the inside of the windshield Cool
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: My champagne getaway Reply with quote

Man oh man.. That baby is a 70's time warp for sure. It's fun (or terrifying) to look back 40 years ago and realize how bad our taste was in all things 70's. Clothes, hair styles, paint schemes, etc.. At least a lot of the music was good!

You just need to slap in some fleetwood Mac in the 8 track and boggie on down the road. Laughing

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
zabo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: My champagne getaway Reply with quote

love the top on that- is there space for a bed up there like the adventurewagens?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rusty busty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: My champagne getaway Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Man oh man.. That baby is a 70's time warp for sure. It's fun (or terrifying) to look back 40 years ago and realize how bad our taste was in all things 70's. Clothes, hair styles, paint schemes, etc.. At least a lot of the music was good!

You just need to slap in some fleetwood Mac in the 8 track and boggie on down the road. Laughing

I think I'll need to grow out my sideburns to rock this bus properly Surprised
rusty busty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: My champagne getaway Reply with quote

zabo wrote:
love the top on that- is there space for a bed up there like the adventurewagens?

Yup looks like there's enough room for a bed. I hope to figure it all out pretty soon.
rusty busty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: My champagne getaway Reply with quote

So it looks like someone played a trick on me. They took all the gasoline out and replaced it with varnish Evil or Very Mad

Seriously though. Generally how long does it take for gas to turn into this stuff? I removed the lines from the fuel tank and nothing came out. I had to poke at it with a wire quite a bit to get this much liquid out. I'd like to get an idea of how long it's been sitting. PO said a year and a half but he gave me a receipt for the tires that was over 2 years old and they haven't been driven on. Rolling Eyes

All the paperwork and reciepts in the glove box date from 88 to 93.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: My champagne getaway Reply with quote

rusty busty wrote:
Bleyseng wrote:

Yes sir bn6 underneath. That's what the extra exhaust pipe is for just foreword of the driver's side rear tire.

I will no longer need to scrape the ice from the inside of the windshield Cool

Sweet! Take off eh! Nice score with the BA6 then Wink

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: My champagne getaway Reply with quote

To get to that consistency, at least 15-20 years from my experience.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
rusty busty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: My champagne getaway Reply with quote

@notchboy
Well I had to go and buy a whole new bus after I sold the heater from my last one to you. Smile

@TDCTDI
Sweet! Well not sweet that I have a gas tank full of gunk. But it seems like it may be a low km bus. The front seats are very firm and not beat down at all. When I first sat in it the foam in the seat was all crackly and old sounding like it hadn't been sat in in years. In 88 the odometer was at 51000. It's at 64000 now. Could be 164000km but I don't think it has 264000km

Unfortunately it seems like it's been repainted though. Just the brown on the bottom not the "red" on top.

Awening works! Needs a good clean and 2 of the bolts to hold the legs out are rusted but shouldn't be hard to fix.

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: My champagne getaway Reply with quote

Dude thats a seriously nice score. Buff it and enjoy. Cool

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: