Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wide-band O2 gauge??
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:14 pm    Post subject: Wide-band O2 gauge?? Reply with quote

anybody added one of these to their vanagon?

e.g. Innovate or other meters?
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Wide-band O2 gauge ?? Reply with quote

I added the innovate wide band/boost controller. I did this to make sure I don't lean out under boost. The innovate dsg"?" is very busy it's constantly changing/reading under acceleration and deceleration it stables at stochiometric or between 14.3-14.7 at cruise speed.

The ability to monitor your engine through gauges is piece of mind over the dummy lights.
chachi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Wide-band O2 gauge?? Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=661518
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Wide-band O2 gauge ?? Reply with quote

thx, but this thread is about the gauges and which are best, not their use in hacks
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Wide-band O2 gauge ?? Reply with quote

I wanted a simple small 3 digit ratio LED but research showed that nobody makes one. They all fit in large round holes, which I don’t like because of my Vanagon’s dashboard. If anyone knows of such a thing let me know.
ohhorob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Wide-band O2 gauge?? Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
anybody added one of these to their vanagon?

e.g. Innovate or other meters?

Yep. I installed an LC-2.

Added an SSI-4 to measure other things (RPM, Injector duty, AFM, TempII)

They daisy chain on a serial connection into a small arduino project that logs to microSD card, and displays those things in realtime (well, every ~81 milliseconds).

It needs a bunch of work to make it driver-friendly, but for now I'm just debugging the data, trying to better understand the raw data before putting a user interface on it.
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Wide-band O2 gauge?? Reply with quote

I had a super cheap gauge from these guys when they first started: http://www.14point7.com/ Looks like some of the small boxes are unavailable at the moment though. Might be worth an email?
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Wide-band O2 gauge?? Reply with quote

I've also heard people complain that the Innovate units are low quality ("junk" was the term used).

any thoughts on that?
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: Wide-band O2 gauge?? Reply with quote

Not on my vanagon, but we use an Innovate on our Mustang chassis dyno for graphing mixture during pulls. I also use an Innovate on my race car as an input for the standalone system. Both have been fine. These are external units. I know Innovate is making all in one gauges now. We have installed one, but I suppose getting everything into a gauge foot print might not yield the same quality project.

It is less critical if you only want something to monitor. When you depend on it as an input, you'd want it to be the best quality.

As far as the Innovate as well as modern standalone systems. Grounds are critical. It is no longer a case of a ground is a ground. Most problems can be traced to poor ground problems.
chachi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Wide-band O2 gauge?? Reply with quote

yeah the innovate widebands get pretty bad reviews for longevity. anyone had one crap out?
OrganicMechanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Wide-band O2 gauge?? Reply with quote

Zietronix is the best bang for the buck, I have used them for years on my race bike as well as my daily driver...

click here to check out Bus Luv

for the love of all rear engine VW busses...bagged to beat, rusted to restored, we luv them all...

tell your friends and share the luv...
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Wide-band O2 gauge ?? Reply with quote

Gnarlodious wrote:
I wanted a simple small 3 digit ratio LED but research showed that nobody makes one. They all fit in large round holes, which I don’t like because of my Vanagon’s dashboard. If anyone knows of such a thing let me know.

gage cans can be used, no cutting, drilling etc. my gage pods are on top of dash lower corner drivers side of windshield.

the van cafe ecu monitor has an O2 sensor monitor, that will give you an idea on how the fuel mixture is, plus it has other neat monitoring functions. its in a big box, but the display is tiny, and maybe possibly installed in a smaller package.

good luck

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Wide-band O2 gauge?? Reply with quote

My innovate guage is holding up just fine. I love watching it bounce around. I also have the small 0-1v meter on my dash as documented by someone else here years ago. Now I just need to add the LED monitor for my knock sensor output.
chachi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Wide-band O2 gauge?? Reply with quote

there is also this, although the zietronix seems a little cheaper:
http://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/2926.htm
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Wide-band O2 gauge?? Reply with quote

I used the innovate wide band to dial in my AFM when I was running my 2.0 AC it was interesting to work with. I found that once my leaks (intake and exhaust) were repaired the monitor was actually quite calm ( relative to the action when leaks were present).
I no longer use mine now that I'm running a Subaru engine w OBD2. I'll bet u can find a cheap one in the classies tomorrow morning Wink

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
Inlet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Wide-band O2 gauge?? Reply with quote

I got the AEM UEGO because AEM makes excellent fuel management for race/tuner cars. I don't actually use it daily as its too distracting. I use it for trouble shooting and maintenance inspections.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: