Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Single port thermostat rod vs dual port thermostat rod
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 6:35 am    Post subject: Single port thermostat rod vs dual port thermostat rod Reply with quote

After doing some research, I have determined that the rod between the thermostat & the air deflection flaps is different between the single port & the dual port doghouse style. My single port Bus engine didn't have the rod or thermostat & bracket, I have these pieces from a doghouse style shroud, can anyone confirm this?

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Single port thermostat rod vs dual port thermostat rod Reply with quote

211 119 163A is the PN# for the 68, I don't have a 71+ parts book so I can't tell you if the DP rod is the same in VW's opinion, to my eye there's no visible difference IIRC.

The link bar across the front between flap assemblies is different for sure.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Single port thermostat rod vs dual port thermostat rod Reply with quote

http://www.jerseylooker.com/FicheDump/EarlyBaywindow/EarlyBay-1.html

middle of the page for the diagram

flaps, t stat, rod are the same. the doghouse rod that links them is not

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Single port thermostat rod vs dual port thermostat rod Reply with quote

Thanks Skills & Busdaddy, now I just have to straighten the one that I have Evil or Very Mad

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Single port thermostat rod vs dual port thermostat rod Reply with quote

And if you want the preheated air function of 68-70, the right flap is different. If you don't need the cable style preheat, any right flap will work. Make sure you get the small under-cylinder deflector square installed with the slot facing the correct orientation. I forget which way that is, but Bentley shows it well, and it's borderline impossible to install the mechanism if it's installed incorrectly.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Single port thermostat rod vs dual port thermostat rod Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Thanks Skills & Busdaddy, now I just have to straighten the one that I have Evil or Very Mad

it's NOT 100% straight. it has a kick out at the bottom to center it to the t-stat

I will try and find a pic

from hazetguy

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

it will look like the one on the right.

and hazetguy can kiss my sweaty taint for stealing his pic Razz

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history

Last edited by skills@eurocarsplus on Thu May 18, 2017 9:16 am; edited 1 time in total
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Single port thermostat rod vs dual port thermostat rod Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
And if you want the preheated air function of 68-70, the right flap is different. If you don't need the cable style preheat, any right flap will work. Make sure you get the small under-cylinder deflector square installed with the slot facing the correct orientation. I forget which way that is, but Bentley shows it well, and it's borderline impossible to install the mechanism if it's installed incorrectly.

Robbie

Thanks Robbie. Yes I do have the proper flap assembly & plan on using it, and the deflector is still in place. I've still got the sheath to air cleaner, ill have to make a cable unless I can find one.

hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Single port thermostat rod vs dual port thermostat rod Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
flaps are the same. t

yes and no.i'm pretty sure the actual flap housings are the same.
on a single port, the cross bar connects directly to the arms of the flaps.
the doghouse style has an additional bracket where the cross bar attaches, so that the cross bar can clear all the extra junk on the front of a doghouse shroud.

single port:
gallery pic from sb001

doghouse:
gallery pic from Danwvw

gallery pic from mnussbau
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Single port thermostat rod vs dual port thermostat rod Reply with quote

it will look like the one on the right.

no, it won't. fresh air thermostat rods are longer and don't have the pinched crimp at the top, and are held to the flap with a push-nut.
no hate to you skillz, YOU GAVE ME CREDIT FOR A PIC OF MINE THAT YOU USED AND DIDN'T STEAL IT OR POST IT AS YOURS, unlike one of the MODERATORS of this forum. Twisted Evil

it will look like the one on the left in this gallery pic from clara

aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Single port thermostat rod vs dual port thermostat rod Reply with quote

This thread is timely for me. I'm building a new longblock for my 1971 and want to install a working flap assembly. I already have a jumble of parts but may decide to just purchase a complete assembly since I really have never screwed with this stuff before. I want it to be correct.

Robbie, I'm confused on that small under cylinder deflector you're talking about. Is that the usually missing sheet metal blocker deal that most new heads don't have?
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Single port thermostat rod vs dual port thermostat rod Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
I'm confused on that small under cylinder deflector you're talking about. Is that the usually missing sheet metal blocker deal that most new heads don't have?

original heads had these deflectors underneath, in the area where the t-stat rod passes through. i thought someone reproduced them, but i'm not sure.

gallery pic from jimhens714

you can see it installed in this pic from Letterman7 (not the one the arrow is pointing to).

Last edited by hazetguy on Thu May 18, 2017 9:33 am; edited 1 time in total
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Single port thermostat rod vs dual port thermostat rod Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:
blaa blaa blaa

I said it will look like the one on the right in terms of the bends. I did mean the bends going thru the head.

fuck flaps. throw a radiator in that bitch

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Single port thermostat rod vs dual port thermostat rod Reply with quote

Yes, I was speaking of these guys.

Gallery photo from JimHens

One on each head. Left side has to go on before sled tin, which goes on before the left heat exchanger. Right side can go on in situ. I still can't recall which way the slot goes, but I think it points towards the driver's seat.

They are a serious kindness to your exhaust valves.
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ry-dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Single port thermostat rod vs dual port thermostat rod Reply with quote

That cylinder tin piece is available through awesome powder coat.. Seems their website isn't working at the moment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Single port thermostat rod vs dual port thermostat rod Reply with quote

The one that I have was attached to the fan shroud & was either bent when a PO removed the shroud or at some point in storage/moving.

It's had a pretty rough life though, I might have to get some rod & bend another up & tap the lower end.
Here it is after straightening it out.

Last edited by TDCTDI on Thu May 18, 2017 10:44 am; edited 2 times in total
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Single port thermostat rod vs dual port thermostat rod Reply with quote

It was VERY common for a PO to bend these things up!

Almost any first-timer would yank and yank wondering why the fan shroud was not coming off.

It's still a mystery to me what the actual bends were supposed to look like.. Confused

What’s That Noise?!?
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Single port thermostat rod vs dual port thermostat rod Reply with quote

My heads are L3 from Aircooled.net. I have no idea if they have the deflectors or not.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Single port thermostat rod vs dual port thermostat rod Reply with quote

fuck flaps. throw a radiator in that bitch

I thought it would be nice to take one back to original for once, if it doesn't cooperate, it's totally getting the 1.8t I've got sitting on the floor stuffed in it. Twisted Evil

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Single port thermostat rod vs dual port thermostat rod Reply with quote

When I find bent rods like that I look very carefully at the C shaped thing on the flap the rod attaches to, if its been stretched the fulcrum changes and the flaps may not open fully.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Single port thermostat rod vs dual port thermostat rod Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:

i would NOT use that rod. the threads are trashed and that's a very easy way to destroy the thermostat fitting.
sheesh, are you going to farmington this weekend? let me know, i could bring you a good one.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: