Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

are these in stock stateside? I bought a bunch from CIP when they had the legit OE ones, but I need a couple more

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

Got my two from Custom and Commercial today. Ordered on Monday, arrived on Thursday via DHL. Not bad.

Looks like the total charged to my card was $83.56 including shipping.

They do seem to be pretty good. Very firm but a little flexible. I was only able to get it to bend a little bit, and for that pic I had to first put pressure on it with my right thumb to get it to bend what it did. I wouldn't call that a taco.

Not OEM, but seemingly very good repros.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

Don't forget that these couplers have to be evaluated for electrical resistance if they're going to be used
in an early bay, because lack of said resistance can cause the horn to go off inappropriately. This has occurred
even with "Genuine VW" couplers that have been used in recent years.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:

fuck....I was hoping for the OEM ones again....

great, yet another crucial part the will keep these off the road...or kill someone Rolling Eyes

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

Certainly some of them are dangerous. But I think the good ones should be fine.

But I would have purchased OEM ones if they were available anywhere. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

They are still out there. You just have to know where to look. 2 pages ago I told those that wanted original German VW where to find them. Apparently some people payed attention because I just checked their site and they are all gone. These do not fall into the rare category of T2B parts like a PCV valve. I am willing to bet their are still a bunch of these out there. You just have to look hard for them.
static
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:

No, I am convinced that the ones from C&C are OEM.

It's just that the "VW" logo has been sanded off (because otherwise the VW lawyers would get pissed)

See the top part of the disc? See where something has been sanded off?

vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

Please see the pic I posted. The markings are different (A part number and manufacturer logo.) And they say on their site it is not OEM.

They must have had OEM but run out. They said it was made in Germany and good quality. Mine do indeed seem to be nice and tough.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
BUGSTUFF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

I purchased 2 of these. They arrived today and seem to be pretty solid. Shipping was discounted because I bought 2.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201787113196?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Northeast IL VW Association - www.nivaclub.org
www.facebook.com/nivaclub
Volkswagen Club of America - www.vwclub.org
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

What's the distance across the diagonal on these puppies? Could you fab one from a hockey puck?
static
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

Custom & Commercial now says that they have produced new repros.
https://www.customandcommercial.com/vw-baywindow/b...68-79_673/
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

That's a good find, static. Dancing Thanks for sharing it.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

Could make one from a truck mudflap,made from reinforced rubber.BUT if it failed and caused an accident ........
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

If i had one in hand fo take some measurements from.....like durometer of rubber and exact thickness and flex......they should be quite easy to make.

Right off the bat you can buy super high strength 50-55 durometer synthetic rubber (same hardness as tires and the average suspension bushing) reinforced witu cast in glass fiber cloth. It has a layer of fiber every 1/4" of thickness. The 1/2 rubber has two layers of glass fiber.
Water jet cut it and tubular punch the holes.....should be stronger than stock. 2500 psi tensile strength

The next cloth type down is about 1500 psi and uses a different fiber every 1/8" of thickness.
These are just the easy ones to get at Mcmaster. Other sites have even more advanced layer types. Ray
Patrick Metsker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

I too find myself in the market for a quality coupling disc.
I'll probably use the customandcommercial link provided,
Any thoughts on this one?
http://www.bus-ok.de/Steering-Column-Coupling-OEM
BusterBrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

Patrick Metsker wrote:

That looks to be the real deal. After trying a knock off a few years back (the start of this thread), I had a look at it recently, and notice it's not aging well. Will be replacing it soon with an OG one I found awhile back.

Moderator note: Notice part number, picture of wrong part.
Tcash

Life is short. Can I have some of yours?
static
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

Patrick Metsker wrote:

Good find! If I hadn't already found one (and paid more than the one from Bus-OK), I would buy that one.

And if I had a Baywindow bus that had never had that part swapped, I would buy one and just stash it away.
(Seriously; you're gonna need one sooner or later and stuff has a way of becoming inobtanium after awhile.)
ChipWrecked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
Got my two from Custom and Commercial today. Ordered on Monday, arrived on Thursday via DHL. Not bad.

Looks like the total charged to my card was $83.56 including shipping.

They do seem to be pretty good. Very firm but a little flexible. I was only able to get it to bend a little bit, and for that pic I had to first put pressure on it with my right thumb to get it to bend what it did. I wouldn't call that a taco.

If these are the "Kafer" brand, I think they are far from ideal. I bought one a few years back and compared to my OEM, and it was far more flexible. Just to bring to your attention, isn't' this the type that Madmax had fail?

riverside66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

Seller Notch1500 on ebay has some OEM SGF couplers left:

In this listing here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/201787113196?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

And here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-OEM-Bay-window-van-stee...SwA3dYf18j

More info on SGF: https://www.sgf.de/en/sgf-sueddeutsche-gelenkschei...pling.html
BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

riverside66 wrote:
Seller Notch1500 on ebay has some OEM SGF couplers leftl

Good find! Just ordered a couple. About $75 USD for 2 shipped.

Earl Grey
'87 GoWesty 2.2 Westfalia

Marsha Mellow
'00 Eurovan VR6 Full Camper
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Page 8 of 31

Jump to: