Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

002 Trans Rebuild Time Questions
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jacoby1007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: 002 Trans Rebuild Time Questions Reply with quote

So after reviewing lots last night I am sticking with my original 002 trans and getting it rebuilt by Rancho. I have been trying to research the below and make sure I make the smartest move. I don't think I will have much more power down the road and will stick with my 1700 for a while.

-Stay with the same setup in the trans?
-Change my ratio?
-It was recommended I do the below, will my engine struggle?

002 5.38 ring and pinion with .82 4th.
Change the 5.38 to a 4.57 and your motor with thank you.
See below, 4.57 r/p stock gears, 26" tall tire.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

jacoby1007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 002 Trans Rebuild Time Questions Reply with quote

Update to my own post, I got some PMs and feel it will be best to keep it all stock. 002 trans with factory gearing.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 002 Trans Rebuild Time Questions Reply with quote

That is really a sweet combo though. That engine just winds like there is no tomorrow.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jacoby1007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 002 Trans Rebuild Time Questions Reply with quote

The setup they are recommending? Even with my size engine? I am still on the fence but if I don't get any good feedback I will stick stock. Would hate to do it one way and find out later that was the better of setups.

Speak now or forever hold your peace! Laughing
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 002 Trans Rebuild Time Questions Reply with quote

I'm also down with the stock gearing of the 002. I run a stock '73 one and it pulls hills/mtns like a monster!
’65 Deluxe Build
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 002 Trans Rebuild Time Questions Reply with quote

If you want to go with longer gearing, buy two 27x8.5R14's for the back and see how you like the power. Much easier and cheaper to reverse a tire change than a gear change.

FWIW, I am presently running a slightly modified 002 with my 1800 and 27x8.5R14's and am happy enough with the results.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: