Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
I like that one, Rockorod71. Very doable, especially with all those spare parts.

At the risk of having the wrath of the Sambanistas on me, I'd contribute $100 to the purchase. NOT a fund-me thing, but more of a Fund-You, since 67ctbug didn't start it.

Anyone else interested? With 20 of us, it will make up the difference between budget and selling price.
That's very generous of you, but I must say that the budget is less than 1500... my step mom said that but now we don't have that so I have to change it... my mom is actually interested in the '73 in MA. I would love to get a job somewhere, but I'm only 15 so I don't think they'd take me. I would really love to work on VWs.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 2:33 am    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

You have whole life ahead to do this, there's no rush.

Business ideas....

1. Open a garage in CT using only aftermarket parts...

The "NOS KILLS" garage..."your hobby is my lobby"

2 Start a thread on Samba threatening to create content on a trip,driving around the world changing people's lives , and solicit funds to NOT do that.

There are at least 150 fish here who will pay up on that angle
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

Business ideas....

2 Start a thread on Samba threatening to create content on a trip,driving around the world changing people's lives , and solicit funds to NOT do that.

Laughing Laughing Very Happy
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

Business ideas....

HAHAHA Laughing
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

Business ideas....

trust me...he doesn't have the budget for a bus...he sure wouldn't have the $$$ to open a shop in CT. I just paid BET and DMV fees...writing a 6K check for insurance now....

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

I resemble that statement.
TDCTDI wrote:
Dismissed? yes. Debunked? Not so much.

If you want to debunk it, I'll donate $500 to the purchase of a non-VW product to see how far you can get without the VW enthusiasts & The Samba communities to mooch off of.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

Hell if this doesn't scream "ROADTRIP TO THE HIDDEN SUN"
then what does?

ROCKOROD71 wrote:
I feel like this is the best deal you will find in New England:
https://hartford.craigslist.org/cto/6134476643.html
Could sell the mid and rear seats, or the whole camper interior to get back some money.
Its double your budget but sounds like what you are willing to take on and not a complete train wreck. Start collecting beer cans, rolling change, donating blood, mowing lawns, selling the old comic book collection (you know you aren't gonna ever read em again), etc etc.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

Interesting thoughts, everyone.

My story, since I was there recently enough to remember:
I started looking for a bus in 2008. College was more important to me, so I had a little tiny cash savings account (under a grand) that was my "one day bus fund." Since that couldn't buy me anything, I kept saving. The key here though, was that you have to save faster than the buses appreciate. There wasn't much market inflation between 2008-2010, so I was fine, but around 2011 prices were really starting to rise faster than I could save. I was about to drop $1200 on a rolling shell with no glass, all primered and sad, and blow 6k on paint/body/finishing, but I found an ad for a '69 ton top with no pictures, and the rest is history... (I think the stories about "the bus picking you" are an apologist way of abdicating responsibility for when it shits the bed on the turnpike, but that's just me.)

Point is, if your budget isn't increasing as fast as the cars are appreciating in value, you're either not saving enough, or you haven't been shopping long enough.

Robbie

Source: bought a 10k bus and spent 3k on it in the first year. No breakdowns, just age-related refreshing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

Put a 3000 dollar bus in this kids hands and in 3 years you will have a 300 dollar parts bus.
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.
blue72beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

I'd just like to add, there's nothing wrong with putting a rustbucket back together..... as long as you enjoy that. Some people actually do like to wrench and weld on cars. Hell, you learn some valuable skills in the process. You don't get good at welding by buying a rust free bus.

It's just that most would rather drive their bus than wrenching. And to do that, yes, you have to pay to play.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

lil-jinx wrote:
Put a 3000 dollar bus in this kids hands and in 3 years you will have a 300 dollar parts bus.

Wow Evil or Very Mad really!?!? Have you seen what I've done to my bug... I'm not gonna drive it to the ground. I actually care about my car and maybe bus... I'm not gonna let it rust into the ground.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

Quote:

This bus has been in a garage for 10 plus yrs, it was running when parked.

It really says that...
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Quote:

This bus has been in a garage for 10 plus yrs, it was running when parked.

It really says that...

And it loves to be pop started and leaks oil...
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
lil-jinx wrote:

Wow Evil or Very Mad really!?!? Have you seen what I've done to my bug... I'm not gonna drive it to the ground. I actually care about my car and maybe bus... I'm not gonna let it rust into the ground.

Eh, take it with a grain of salt. Most of us old farts only complain because of the mistakes we have made and seen. Its a never ending cycle here and in life generally. Older fellas complain to the young, just as it was done to us, as you will do when you get older. Human nature is every bit about repeating itself over and over and over and..............

I myself collected shit box T3's for years. Went through about 30-35 of them. Some I parted, some I flipped, some I drove. By doing that, as with many of the fine folks here on the samba, you learn a thing or two and kick yourself time and again for he dumb things you did.

Its that experience where "the kid is doomed" attitude comes from. And not to mention that easily, 1 out of 20 people - young and old that engage in a bus with no-to moderate skills will succeed. The dream being bigger than the ambition and wallet. Only the fit survive and the spectators only pray that the canvas is not destroyed during the learning process. Because last time I checked, they went making these anymore. Wink

Speaking of repetition, here I go again with the never ending thread stopping words of ball smashing in a vice wisdom Rolling Eyes

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
lil-jinx wrote:

yes. in the body section you fudged up your pans/heater channels and none of your bolt holes line up.

it's all a learning process. as notch said, only the fit will survive. if you step back and listen to us, it will become clear. if you are of that 'punk kid that never wants to listen' mentality, us old farts will be sure to slam you for stupid decisions for all eternity (internet parenting)

we don't want you to fail...believe me. I don't want to see you fail....BUT if you bailed on the 71 you sold it seems to me when the going gets tough you will bag ass and sell again.

if you start with something good, it will keep your spirits up...trust me.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
67ctbug wrote:
lil-jinx wrote:

yes. in the body section you fudged up your pans/heater channels and none of your bolt holes line up.
we don't want you to fail...believe me. I don't want to see you fail....BUT if you bailed on the 71 you sold it seems to me when the going gets tough you will bag ass and sell again.
if you start with something good, it will keep your spirits up...trust me.

The pans and heater channels were only messed up because I was using a flux cored welder that was from HF. I didn't really bail on the '71...I listened to my stepfather that has only bought to sell. He made me believe that it was unrestorable even though I wanted to fix it. My spirits will stay up anyway... I'll have a bus Very Happy
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

I hope you prove me wrong,I am not trying to kill the dream.what made me say what I said is that you are in too big of a rush to get good results,you buy good parts and then rush to get them welded in,after market parts are not plug and play,even the guy that do this often have to fit,check refit recheck many times to get good results.
You can't blame your results on your tools even a cheap second rate welder will give decent results if you work with in their limitation.[It's the poor craftsman that blames their tool]lot of truth in that old saying.You were welding outside, flux core is often better outside then gas,the wind blows the gas away.
I think your bug body is not sitting properly because you did not have the tunnel sitting flat, the napoleon hat was not on the same plane as the rear support,causing a twist in the pan.
Turn your efforts toward the 67 bug, build it into something you can be proud of,take it on your driving test when you go for your licence,the tester will be so amazed you could run a red light and he would not even see it.
Many years ago when I started working in a truck shop,the old guys would say,first you get good then you get fast.
I wish you Good Luck;Nelson

PS; As far as I am concerned the 67 was the last really nice bug.
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

lil-jinx wrote:
too big of a rush to get good results,you buy good parts and then rush to get them welded in,after market parts are not plug and play,even the guy that do this often have to fit,check refit recheck many times to get good results.
I do check my parts before I weld them...I haven't posted photos, but I put the inner wheelhouse in the bug and it came out almost perfect. The only problem is I haven't completely ground the welds down yet.
You can't blame your results on your tools even a cheap second rate welder will give decent results if you work with in their limitation.[It's the poor craftsman that blames their tool]lot of truth in that old saying.You were welding outside, flux core is often better outside then gas,the wind blows the gas away.The welder was faulty from the start...It was one of their refurbished ones and only had high and low heat settings.
I think your bug body is not sitting properly because you did not have the tunnel sitting flat, the napoleon hat was not on the same plane as the rear support,causing a twist in the pan. I don't understand...The tunnel wasn't sitting flat? The Napoleon hat was patched not completely replaced. The problem is the Firewall was welded too high by my stepdad that was doing the welding from December to August. He doesn't really know how to weld that well.
Turn your efforts toward the 67 bug, build it into something you can be proud of,take it on your driving test when you go for your licence,the tester will be so amazed you could run a red light and he would not even see it. My efforts are going toward the bug, the bus is a secondary project really...
Many years ago when I started working in a truck shop,the old guys would say,first you get good then you get fast.
I wish you Good Luck;Nelson
Thank you
Very true, all the rest are nice, but don't have that look.

'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

lil-jinx wrote:

I'll be sure to waive as I blow past you on all the off-camber turns that the late models just eat for breakfast… Laughing

Robbie

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Seen My '71 Bus? Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
lil-jinx wrote:

Don't worry about the grumpsters. No need to defend

Just be patient, there's no rush.

Now, get off my lawn, punk.

😇
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Page 4 of 22

Jump to: