Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com
 
Any mechanics in Oakland California?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Print View
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
pineapplejellybeans
Samba Member


Joined: May 13, 2012
Posts: 2
Location: long beach, california
pineapplejellybeans is offline 

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:52 pm    Post subject: Any mechanics in Oakland California? Reply with quote

Hi! I've just moved to Oakland and have been searching for a reliable mechanic that I can keep going back to that knows 71 busses really well. Does anyone know of any?

I do really like Buslab, but they are pretty pricey. I'm mostly looking for someone who could do general check ups every few months or so and other minor work. (would prefer going to a shop, but open to folks that are reliable and have time for repairwork from time to time.)

(also looking for shop recommendations that are affordable to do minor bodywork repair, mainly got a bunch of leaks that need fixing. I've gotten gnarly black mold twice already, had to rip out the flooring twice.

please send an email to [email protected] if you are my magick oakland bus mechanic please. Smile

Thank you berry mucho! Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Classifieds Feedback
otiswesty
Samba Member


Joined: November 21, 2006
Posts: 1218
Location: Portland
otiswesty is offline 

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Any mechanics in Oakland California? Reply with quote

I've had some work done on my Baywindow at Precision People's Auto a few years ago. Nice mellow peeps and reasonable too.
http://precisionpeoplescarrepair.com/home.html
_________________
1989 Syncro Westfalia
1978 Sage Green P22 Westfalia
Mercedes Gwagens
Just a regular guy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
static
Samba Member


Joined: March 22, 2002
Posts: 1695
Location: Mons Veneris, CA
static is offline 

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Any mechanics in Oakland California? Reply with quote

Many, many years ago, I had Precision People's Car Repair do something or other to my 1970 Westy (which I got rid of well over 20 years ago),
When they were finished doing the work, the mechanic parked the bus out on the street, about a block away, but neglected to lock the sliding door.

My precious under-dash Pioneer 500 Supertuner cassette deck was swiped.
(Under-dash cassette deck? Well, I did say that it was a long time ago)

I sued them in Small Claims Court and won. They appealed.
At the next court date, the Judge admonished them for having no new argument, and ruled in my favor.

I got my $130 check shortly thereafter.

(Old Berkeley codger fun fact: Precision People's was owned by Evan Meyer, the guy who I sued. Over in Albany, there was/is a good shop called Dan Meyer Auto Care that is owned by Dana Meyer, Evan Meyer's brother. Though they do not service aircooled, their shop truck used to be a 1971 crew cab.)
_________________
Like VW campers? Join us!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2362239654/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pantone149
Samba Member


Joined: August 19, 2004
Posts: 935
Location: Monterey
pantone149 is offline 

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Any mechanics in Oakland California? Reply with quote

I realize the geography here, but consider Sonoma Volkswagen Repair in Glen Ellen. Gary and Tim are some of the best around, open Saturday, closed Monday.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wasted youth
Samba Member


Joined: July 06, 2012
Posts: 3781
Location: California's Hot and Smoggy Central Valley
Wasted youth is offline 

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Any mechanics in Oakland California? Reply with quote

I drove up to Oakland and bought an engine block from Chris Morrice. He sells a lot of parts. I do not know if he does mechanic work, but he may be able to give you a shop recommendation. He is in Oakland, near Fruitvale.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=19586
_________________
1968 Double Cab truck, 1973 Auto trans bus, 1978 Auto trans Sunroof bus with A/C and a 1987 Auto trans Westfalia.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vova
Samba Member


Joined: April 09, 2015
Posts: 267
Location: Los Gatos CA
Vova is offline 

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Any mechanics in Oakland California? Reply with quote

Not Oakland but Josh at JP automotive is redwood city is really good.
_________________
1978 Westfalia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=663529&highlight=vova
Bay Area VW owners on Face Book
https://www.facebook.com/Bay-Area-VW-Owners-1464253410267781/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member


Joined: October 05, 2014
Posts: 6372
Location: NYC/Upstate/ROW
Abscate is offline 

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 3:00 am    Post subject: Re: Any mechanics in Oakland California? Reply with quote

static wrote:
Many, many years ago, I had Precision People's Car Repair do something or other to my 1970 Westy (which I got rid of well over 20 years ago),
When they were finished doing the work, the mechanic parked the bus out on the street, about a block away, but neglected to lock the sliding door.

My precious under-dash Pioneer 500 Supertuner cassette deck was swiped.
(Under-dash cassette deck? Well, I did say that it was a long time ago)

I sued them in Small Claims Court and won. They appealed.
At the next court date, the Judge admonished them for having no new argument, and ruled in my favor.

I got my $130 check shortly thereafter.

(Old Berkeley codger fun fact: Precision People's was owned by Evan Meyer, the guy who I sued. Over in Albany, there was/is a good shop called Dan Meyer Auto Care that is owned by Dana Meyer, Evan Meyer's brother. Though they do not service aircooled, their shop truck used to be a 1971 crew cab.)


What's coincidence! I had the same deck installed by these guys for$ 300 about the same time! Still works great!
_________________
.ssS!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TomWesty
Samba Member


Joined: November 23, 2007
Posts: 2309
Location: Wyoming,USA
TomWesty is offline 

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Any mechanics in Oakland California? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
static wrote:
Many, many years ago, I had Precision People's Car Repair do something or other to my 1970 Westy (which I got rid of well over 20 years ago),
When they were finished doing the work, the mechanic parked the bus out on the street, about a block away, but neglected to lock the sliding door.

My precious under-dash Pioneer 500 Supertuner cassette deck was swiped.
(Under-dash cassette deck? Well, I did say that it was a long time ago)

I sued them in Small Claims Court and won. They appealed.
At the next court date, the Judge admonished them for having no new argument, and ruled in my favor.

I got my $130 check shortly thereafter.

(Old Berkeley codger fun fact: Precision People's was owned by Evan Meyer, the guy who I sued. Over in Albany, there was/is a good shop called Dan Meyer Auto Care that is owned by Dana Meyer, Evan Meyer's brother. Though they do not service aircooled, their shop truck used to be a 1971 crew cab.)


What's coincidence! I had the same deck installed by these guys for$ 300 about the same time! Still works great!
Small world Laughing
_________________
If you haven't bled on them, you haven't worked on them.
Visit: www.tomcoryell.com and check out my music!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
pineapplejellybeans
Samba Member


Joined: May 13, 2012
Posts: 2
Location: long beach, california
pineapplejellybeans is offline 

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Any mechanics in Oakland California? Reply with quote

thanks for all the suggestions!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Classifieds Feedback
asiab3
Samba Member


Joined: April 04, 2012
Posts: 8022
Location: San Diego
asiab3 is offline 

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Any mechanics in Oakland California? Reply with quote

Why don't you pay someone knowledgeable to teach you the basic and routine maintenance? Razz

Robbie
_________________
Three rules of troubleshooting:
1. Do the easiest thing first.
2. Don't rely on the guy before you. He was not able to fix the problem.
3. 90% of problems are between the driver's seat and the steering wheel.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member


Joined: October 05, 2014
Posts: 6372
Location: NYC/Upstate/ROW
Abscate is offline 

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Any mechanics in Oakland California? Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Why don't you pay someone knowledgeable to teach you the basic and routine maintenance? Razz

Robbie


Do you know someone who does this? I knew a guy once but he was always too busy with Lego...
_________________
.ssS!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
static
Samba Member


Joined: March 22, 2002
Posts: 1695
Location: Mons Veneris, CA
static is offline 

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Any mechanics in Oakland California? Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Why don't you pay someone knowledgeable to teach you the basic and routine maintenance? Razz

Robbie


Amskeptic!
http://www.itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewforum.php?f=76
_________________
Like VW campers? Join us!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2362239654/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Member


Joined: May 28, 2012
Posts: 7446
Location: 33.158016, -117.350598
Brian is offline 

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Any mechanics in Oakland California? Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Why don't you pay someone knowledgeable to teach you the basic and routine maintenance? Razz

Robbie


Huh sounds like a decent business model.
_________________
'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug

RTFM
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

About | Help! | Advertise | Donate | Premium Membership | Privacy/Terms of Use | Contact Us | Site Map
Copyright © 1996-2016, Everett Barnes. All Rights Reserved.
Not affiliated with or sponsored by Volkswagen of America | Forum powered by phpBB