Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Exhaust options camper special engine
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GermanLookT2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust options camper special engine Reply with quote

I have a turbothomas header and had a custom wraparound dual muffler setup similar to the ahnendorp style. Theres still quite a bit of resonance and I have been debating losing the muffers and replacing with a whole new VS setup. Recently I have been thinking to weld in a used 993/996 single right side muffler (like a hideaway) and preserve the merged header since it is stainless and equal length piping. Im not convinced the single muffler options are quiet enough. but figuring a 993/996 n/a puts out 300hp and uses 2 mufflers and is fairly quiet...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust options camper special engine Reply with quote

Bleyseng wrote:
Took the stock muffler I was running off as I finally installed the repaired SS setup. CHT's were down a good 15-20 degrees running at 70 mph on a run upto Mt Vernon Sunday.

Looking to order the SS empi muffler I guess for a long term solution. My S&S exhaust is rusty as hell and repaired.

Any pics Bley?

Mine has held up well since 1988. I annually hit it with some sand paper, inhibitor and VHT paint. Certainly better than the current offerings these days.
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Dual 40mm IDF Webers - LM-2 - 47.5 idles/125 mains/190 air corr./F11 tubes/28mm Vents - Float height 10.45mm/Drop 32mm
Bosch SVDA w/Pertronix module (7.5 initial 28 total @ 3400rpm)
Bosch W8CC plugs
Pertronix Flamethrower 40K coil
S&S 4-1 w/Walker QP 17862
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
dawie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust options camper special engine Reply with quote

If resonance/droning sound is an issue... add a few feet more length of tubing after the last muffler. Extend to have outlet on the other side.
Seeing that you already have good volume inside the mufflers, this extra length will tune the resonance to a lower, less irritating, frequency.
Easy to test... Just temporary add some length and listen.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust options camper special engine Reply with quote

dawie wrote:
If resonance/droning sound is an issue... add a few feet more length of tubing after the last muffler. Extend to have outlet on the other side.
Seeing that you already have good volume inside the mufflers, this extra length will tune the resonance to a lower, less irritating, frequency.
Easy to test... Just temporary add some length and listen.

More tube? It already looks disemboweled Laughing

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DougB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust options camper special engine Reply with quote

Hello all,

OK, I've driven with the stainless EMPI header exhaust for a week or so now and can report some results. Remember that I was more recently running the stock muffler, and before that the VS muffler with the dual outlets (the only one that was available from them when I bought it, though I know they have the single outlet one now). Also, I had oxygen sensors installed in all of them, connected to my PLX Devices AFR meter.

So what do I think of the stainless EMPI header exhaust after a week? I really like it! I had the plain steel version of this exhaust when I received my CS from Jake, and it was decent (a little louder than this one) but after a few months a hole blew in the side of the muffler can.

Compared to the stock exhaust, here's what I notice with this one:

- about the same AFR readings (typically between 12.3 and 12.Cool
- maybe a 5% reduction in CHT readings
- a little louder than the stock muffler but still closer to stock than to the VS, which was too loud at highway speed for me
- I feel like there's more torque...for example, during my afternoon commute there's this hill, and with the stock muffler I'd take it in 4th but you can feel the power draining...but with the new muffler, the power is more sustained
- I feel like I don't have the throttle depressed as much at certain times as I did with the stock muffler

Cons:
- interferes with my Jamie Miller receiver hitch, which I had to remove while I modify it
- the tailpipe interfered with my bumper overriders, so I had to move them inward

All in all I'm happy with the purchase. I think I'm done swapping exhausts for the time being.
'41 Zundapp KS600
'55 Puch SGS250
A very, very understanding wife
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust options camper special engine Reply with quote

DougB wrote:

All in all I'm happy with the purchase. I think I'm done swapping exhausts for the time being.

I hope so, you have three now and the VS is a pricey piece of wall art Laughing

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DougB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust options camper special engine Reply with quote

Amen! There was a local guy who PM'd me about the VS, but he never responded. I still don't have as many spare mufflers as you have Essens or tents, though Wink
'41 Zundapp KS600
'55 Puch SGS250
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust options camper special engine Reply with quote

DougB wrote:
Amen! There was a local guy who PM'd me about the VS, but he never responded. I still don't have as many spare mufflers as you have Essens or tents, though Wink

and neither of you have a single classified ad posted. hoarders!
DougB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust options camper special engine Reply with quote

LOL, yeah, there's that Wink I did have some ads but they expired. I'd be happy to sell the VS to anyone, but really don't want to ship it.
'41 Zundapp KS600
'55 Puch SGS250
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust options camper special engine Reply with quote

DougB wrote:

And Eberspachers, distributors, air pumps, hazet assistents.....

I am a hoarder, well kinda. When it all matures or I find another shinny thing I sell.

I have two Essens on deck and a middle seat that should go up this weekend Wink

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust options camper special engine Reply with quote

Nice to hear! Thank you for the review.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: