Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

that's the float bowl vent,, want me to throw in an old carb for parts for ya?
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

I'd love to send it to volkbitz, but I need it for Sunday. I tried pinching that tube together a bit, no luck. I'm wondering if I could use heat to warp it together. I just have to manage to not warp it further apart. If I can't get it together, I'll just run it as is, it was previously running fine so it must not effect it that bad and I don't think that is what was causing my stalling issue. I don't see how that would develop so rapidly.

Madmike: nah, I'll just run it for now. I don't think that is my issue.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scrivyscriv Premium Member
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

I would suggest repairing that impact tube pretty quickly. I won't try to guess how much it impairs fuel delivery but it's got to have a pretty negative "impact" pardon the pun. You need pressure on your float bowl.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

scrivyscriv wrote:
I would suggest repairing that impact tube pretty quickly. I won't try to guess how much it impairs fuel delivery but it's got to have a pretty negative "impact" pardon the pun. You need pressure on your float bowl.

K, i'll make sure to give it some attention tonight. I can just pull that tube out, right? Then I'll be free to work on it with more space and use heat etc as needed.

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

That tube is integral to the fuel level/mixture not-sucking.

Baja bugs and race bugs, (and I in upstate NY,) will add a 2" piece of fuel line to that pipe to "raise" the effective level of the vent. That way, during hard bumps, braking, and cornering, fuel won't slosh out of the bowl into the intake and flood the engine. It can allegedly improve hot starts too, by giving the fuel an extra inch or two of expansion before it floods into the intake.

If your pipe is cracked, its very likely leaking fuel into the intake and causing all your carb issues. Get a piece of fuel line cut to the angle of the base, and make it an inch longer. Kinda like this, but make sure it covers the whole tube.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Then when you can have a new pipe pressed in, you'll be good to go. I really don't think you want to drive without the tube properly in place.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Alright. If I were to remove the tube and bend it back together then do a little soldering of that crack? is there an issue with solder and gas? I don't really see why there would be. Or will the carb get so hot that it would melt the solder? ... that seems like a brake a crow bar in a sandbox... Anyways, anyone see anything wrong with soldering after I close it up the best that I can then I'll just push it back in?

airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Go for it. It's toast as it is now anyway. The carb doesn't get very hot; the venturi effect keeps it cool whenever air passes through it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Go for it. It's toast as it is now anyway. The carb doesn't get very hot; the venturi effect keeps it cool whenever air passes through it.

Valid point. Alright.

MadMax: I guess you can bring that parts carb if you want. I really only need this one part that I know of (although I'll know more in a few hours, if I end up needing more.) I really don't want a full carb laying around. I already I have a pair of Baby Webers just hanging out, I don't plan on using them either.

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

I think it looks pretty Dang good, if I don't say so myself. Thank you for the tip guys.

And a nice clean carb.

I'm still deciding if I'm going to do a valve job and put the carb back on tonight or tomorrow. I should probably do it tonight, I'll see.

madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Who's Max? Laughing glad u got it, I'll bring the carb anyhow,,,MadMike
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

madmike wrote:
Who's Max? Laughing glad u got it, I'll bring the carb anyhow,,,MadMike

Sounds good. Do you need any type 4 parts? I have a parts engine, with a decent amount of good parts. Never had a catastrophic failure either.

Although I took the valve cover off my 3-4 side and was met with a surprise today.

Doesn't seem to be any long term damage. The pushed is straight, no damage to the rocker that I can see, the valve might be a little binged, but I can't feel it so I plan on rocking (pun intended) unless David wants to change it out. I'll let him decide though.

So that explains why I was having my issues. Hopefully David see the pictures and looks at the assembly and agrees it is good to run, I'd like to be at the show on Sunday, with my bus.

And a video of the effects of the carnage,not sure who needs it, but I think it allows people to see it better.

Link

madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

good old stock crap,lol, it happens Laughing never cared for type IV's Rolling Eyes
I'll be drivin the bus down 250+ miles Shocked Laughing all backroads
staying off I-75 gonna take 6 hours Laughing ..33 to 76 to 15 then Telegraph all the way to the 'Level Pebble' aka Flat Rock,LOL going to take a friend to dinner,, Madmike
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Alright guys, I'm still having problems... I have my rockers straightened out, valves adjusted, I have the carb rebuilt. 2.5 turns out on both the speed screw and mixture screw. It is still hard to start. Once it starts, (choke fully on), it idles at 2k rpm. I let if warm up fully and it go to let it off the choke even a little, and the second it drops below 1800rpm it just wants to die, and is slow to respond to throttle. I have tried increasing the speed screw, and I have tried to increase my mixture screw to no avail.

Any Thoughts? I've thought vacuum leak, and my friend suggested that it may be ignition. I'm looking for suggestions on where to start.

Edit: I also pulled the fuel filter and replaced it. It was squeeky clean though.

madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Fine a small mirror
look down throat of carb see if the accil pump pisses Wink
choke may not be needed?
check point gap?
ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

I'd say a vacuum leak or it's time for a Volkzbitz carb.
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

If he adjusts my slider I'll give him a carb,, Wink
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

the dudes who designed and built your car wrote:
Do not try to warm the engine up by letting it idle with the vehicle stationary - drive off immediately.

Try this before troubleshooting a potential non-issue.

Robbie
ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

What camshaft are you running in your 1776? And what jets in your carb?
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

ccpalmer wrote:
What camshaft are you running in your 1776? And what jets in your carb?

I wasn't able to read the jets, I'm assuming the stock jets for a 34pict3. As for the cam, I have to verify, but I believe it's a 110.

Robbie: I did. Even after getting it all the way home 8miles of city driving it was only getting worse. And I can't currently let it hit the idle cam (I think that is what it is called. The lowest lobe, where the choke is completely off.) without dying.. although it is getting better. I got it to idle at 1200, but that was without it being on the idle cam.

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

I should explain what I did. Lol I pulled plug wires, found cracks. Replaced then with used good ones from my type 4. I check point gap. Set to .016. I set timing the best I could. Somewhere around 5* BTDC. The distributor was tough getting in because the oring was tight, but moved freely once in. I think I'm just running rich which is why when I close my throttle that little more it dies and is hard to start, just flooded a little.

My distributor is something not listed in my Bentley though. Here's pictures of it. And pictures of the cracked plug wires. I only kept 1.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Page 14 of 30

Jump to: