Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My champagne getaway
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rusty busty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: My champagne getaway Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Dude thats a seriously nice score. Buff it and enjoy. Cool

Thanks man. That's the general plan Cool
sethpat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: My champagne getaway Reply with quote

Yeah, that thing is cool. Hows the rust? it looks super clean

Hoping to get my bus done next month, planning on visiting some friends in Van. I'll have to get in touch so we can cruise
rusty busty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: My champagne getaway Reply with quote

Rust isn't bad. Just in the rockers a bit. Jacking points, outriggers, battery trays are all fairly solid. I'm not sure I'll be cruising in a month but hopefully.
rusty busty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: My champagne getaway Reply with quote

Busy day
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Gas tank is garbage. So is the sender. Rolling Eyes

Seems the top of the transmission also makes a good home.

vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: My champagne getaway Reply with quote

The top of the gas tank rusted? Did the rats get up there too?

Gross!

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rusty busty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: My champagne getaway Reply with quote

Actually the only evidence of rodents I've seen so far is on the transmission. Thankfully no signs inside or in the engine bay Smile

I'm not sure why the top of the tank rusted. I do know that it's 3/4 full of varnish and sludge and it won't drain from the bottom due to sludge. I'm going to get a pump to drain it so it's lighter before I pull it out. What a mess!

Not a complete surprise though. When I first went to see the bus before buying it the whole ass end reeked of varnish. Now I know why. The sender didn't require tools to remove it was so rusted.

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: My champagne getaway Reply with quote

Maybe the PO liked to put STP and all kinds of additives to the gas, creating a witches brew? Shocked

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rusty busty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: My champagne getaway Reply with quote

My thinking is that maybe there was a leak when it was parked 15 or 20 years ago. Maybe from the vent lines or around the sender. In the summer when it got hot some gas evaporated. At night when it cooled down the fuel vapour condensed on to the top of the tank. As it condensed it also drew moisture from the air which rusted the top of the tank. Question
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: My champagne getaway Reply with quote

rusty busty wrote:
My thinking is that maybe there was a leak when it was parked 15 or 20 years ago. Maybe from the vent lines or around the sender. In the summer when it got hot some gas evaporated. At night when it cooled down the fuel vapour condensed on to the top of the tank. As it condensed it also drew moisture from the air which rusted the top of the tank. Question

Or the grumpy tin foil hat wearing neighbor would come out at night, pull the motor, pull the fire wall, pull the tank. Fill it with molasses and sugar, put muric acid all over it, put all the stuff back in the bus like it never happened. Did this process several times over three months - all under the cover of night Twisted Evil

All because the PO let his dog shit on this guys lawn all the time. Laughing

Think

All I can say is its a weird one. Razz

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rusty busty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: My champagne getaway Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
rusty busty wrote:

Or the grumpy tin foil hat wearing neighbor would come out at night, pull the motor, pull the fire wall, pull the tank. Fill it with molasses and sugar, put muric acid all over it, put all the stuff back in the bus like it never happened. Did this process several times over three months - all under the cover of night Twisted Evil

All because the PO let his dog shit on this guys lawn all the time. Laughing

Think

All I can say is its a weird one. Razz

Mystery solved Surprised
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: My champagne getaway Reply with quote

Shaggin' Wagen.
Without. A. Doubt.
Nice score dude.
Looks like you're having fun, keep it up.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: My champagne getaway Reply with quote

When I bought my 1977 CE-1 most of the cushioning material from the all seats was missing. I knew mice had been all through the bus and headliner for a long time, but I did not discover where their nests were until I removed the bottom heater ducting tubes... and pulled the gas tank. Along with it being packed all around with seat cushioning material, the added mouse piss made for some rust problems as well. (But not on the top of the tank)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rusty busty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: My champagne getaway Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
When I bought my 1977 CE-1 most of the cushioning material from the all seats was missing. I knew mice had been all through the bus and headliner for a long time, but I did not discover where their nests were until I removed the bottom heater ducting tubes... and pulled the gas tank. Along with it being packed all around with seat cushioning material, the added mouse piss made for some rust problems as well. (But not on the top of the tank)

Wow! I'm glad that's not what I found in my tank area. Shocked
It's pretty clean around my tank. I'll get some pics next time I go to my shop, but the corrosion is concentrated around the sender and then there's 2 lines of corrosion in a drip pattern right below the vent lines. Something was definitely dripping from the vent lines and corroding the tank.

I have another tank. I was thinking of getting it powder coated. I want to keep this bus a long time and I'd rather not have to mess with the tank again.

SamboSamba22 wrote:
Shaggin' Wagen.
Without. A. Doubt.
Nice score dude.
Looks like you're having fun, keep it up.

Buckets of fun Wink

Ya. Sitting a year and a half my ass.
Rodmullet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: My champagne getaway Reply with quote

That is one cool bus. Hope you keep it as original as possible. Love the funky 70s style.

Rod
rusty busty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: My champagne getaway Reply with quote

Definitely want to keep it as stock as possible. The wood paneling is crumbling in places but I want to replace it with something similar.
I'm really happy with how original it seems. The seal on the firewall was perfect and probably hadn't been open since Germany.
The engine still has what I'm assuming is a production number on the tin. Engine 429 of the day?

The only "hack" that I've seen so far is the egr is disconnected.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: My champagne getaway Reply with quote

My engine had those painted numbers on the tin in a few places, too. Numbers varied. Someone here once explained it, but I have since forgotten what was said
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: My champagne getaway Reply with quote

I had a gas tank almost exactly like yours in my 77 sage green westy. It sat since 1995 after PO ran the motor with low oil and seized the crank. It looked like 50 burnt steaks inside and the sender looked exactly like yours.

The skunky gas that was still a fluid was some of the worst stuff ever. If I'd have had any previous experience with it I'd have not spilt a drop. Stunk up my whole garage to the point I had to literally chase down every singe arrant drip I got on the floor to get decent smelling air back.
rusty busty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: My champagne getaway Reply with quote

It really is rank! I got a few drops on my gloves. I wiped it off with a rag right away but later I was driving my work truck and I had to pull over to throw out the gloves. Even with the windows open I couldn't be in the same vehicle as the gloves.
MorkC68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: My champagne getaway Reply with quote

fantastic bus fella, enjoyed reading about it!

Good luck with rebuilding it Smile
- 180W Solar System

My blog: https://twolatebays.wordpress.com/
rusty busty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: My champagne getaway Reply with quote

MorkC68 wrote:
fantastic bus fella, enjoyed reading about it!

Good luck with rebuilding it Smile

Thanks! I'm just getting started. I only brought it home a week ago today Cool

No time to work on it today. Just time for a couple of last pics of the worst gas tank in history. Finally out of the bus. I'm disposing of it tomorrow.

Inside Twisted Evil

I've heard that if you're parking a car for a long time you should leave the gas tank full. That might be bad advise if it's being parked for a really really long time. Who plans to park a vehicle for 20 years though.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: