Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Painting Stripping Question
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
surfbus23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Painting Stripping Question Reply with quote

So, I'm busy making a mess of my bus. Since, I'm not in a neighborhood that would permit me to try sandblasting the bus, I decided I'd try the chemical method. I picked up a gallon to Rustoleum Aircraft Remover.

I think I'm having success, but I'm curious why the color of the metal in areas where the aircraft remover stripped away the paint is different than where it has been mechanically removed? Or it the stripper actually leaving behind some sort of primer that can't be stripped? This stuff was bought in CA if that makes any difference.

Here is a picture of an area that I revealed while stripping. Notice the close up where it has shiny metal and a transition to this darker color.

Thanks for any help!

K

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Painting Stripping Question Reply with quote

That is the mill scale or pickling of the original steel panel prior to being pressed. As a metal guy, this is what I like to have delivered to me instead of blasted steel.

Notice where the rust starts? This is one of the reasons I never blast the exterior of a Bus. Once the bus is stripped, it would be a good idea to wash it with a phosphoric acid based metal conditioner to prevent further rust.
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Painting Stripping Question Reply with quote

Bulli Klinik wrote:
That is the mill scale or pickling of the original steel panel prior to being pressed. As a metal guy, this is what I like to have delivered to me instead of blasted steel.

Notice where the rust starts? This is one of the reasons I never blast the exterior of a Bus. Once the bus is stripped, it would be a good idea to wash it with a phosphoric acid based metal conditioner to prevent further rust.

I see it as teeth marks from a 60 grit pad giving the steel teeth to grip the cheap body filler

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
surfbus23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Painting Stripping Question Reply with quote

Hah. I think he's talking about the different colored steel that hasn't been abused by 60-grit sand paper.

So yeah. I wonder what the steel for the bus was originally treated with.

I was originally going to do phosphoric acid followed by two coats of Master Series. I guess since this steal is already pickled I would only benefit from using the phosphoric acid on any areas that were mechanically exposed or had rust.

Anyone have any tips for chemical stripping and getting the areas that have small curved shapes, etc. My putty knife doesn't do will on anything that isn't a nice wide flat surface.
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Painting Stripping Question Reply with quote

I like to use a different brand. Klean Strip Aircraft Paint Remover. It's expensive, but less expensive than my time.

Score the surface with a razor blade then apply the stripper. Cover it with plastic sheeting and let it do it's work. I Use a wire brush on stubborn areas. If you have very stubborn areas and you are not working on a flat surface of the body, use a torch with a oxygenated flame to burn the paint off..carefully. Wave the flame back and forth just until the coating sparkles and burns then brush it off with a stiff wire brush. This also works well with undercoating and in the window channels, etc...

The factory washed the bodies in phosphoric acid prior to dipping in primer. I personally use OSPHO, but there are other brands which do the same thing.
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Painting Stripping Question Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with Master Series, but if it's anything like POR, I wouldn't bother. A good coating of epoxy primer on a bare metal surface which has been etched with phosphoric acid and washed with a quality wax and grease remover is the best that you could hope for as a base for your finish.

Find an automotive paint supplier in your area and ask their advice or better yet, go the manufacturers cut sheets on their paint systems and go by the book. They pay engineers to figure this shit out...

Good luck!
Colorado Springs
surfbus23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Painting Stripping Question Reply with quote

Totally going to try the bag trick for some of these parts i'm having a harder time with.
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Painting Stripping Question Reply with quote

What is your plan,why do you want the paint removed?
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Painting Stripping Question Reply with quote

surfbus23 wrote:
Totally going to try the bag trick for some of these parts i'm having a harder time with.

Don't forget to score the paint. It helps a lot.

Colorado Springs
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: