Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Another guy putting a T3 and Tesla together.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sTeeve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Another guy putting a T3 and Tesla together. Reply with quote

Link

IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Another guy putting a T3 and Tesla together. Reply with quote

Wow, what a tease! I was watching and it was taking forever so I skipped ahead and amazed they spent so much time on a video without driving it yet.

Amazing project - truly. I have watched, driven and been a part of vehicle prototypes for a long time and find that most people cannot appreciate the amount of work and time it takes to convert X to Y on something as complex as a vehicle. That is a piece of work. I hope someone posts the update when they are driving it.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Another guy putting a T3 and Tesla together. Reply with quote

flomulgator wrote:
Hate to say it BlueBus but recharging a Tesla now takes about 15 minutes at a supercharger stop, which are usually located at a convenient freeway stop burger joint.
Trying to charge a depleted battery by solar on the wrong side of Death Valley is still a unsolved problem, but Tesla recognized major route range/refill time as a major hurdle and have put a huge amount of effort into successfully making it a non-issue.

hate to say but 15 minutes is still too long for a recharge, and recharge stations are few and far between. hardly a non issue, specially if your on the wrong side of death valley. no thanks Ill keep my gasoline engine, now if only I did not have to subsidize this electric car crap, then it would reallly be a non issue... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
HackAl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Another guy putting a T3 and Tesla together. Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
Flomulgator,

Ask someone you know to show you the demographics of their hybrids vs the rest of their car range for confirmation. The very richest and best educated buyers.

Doug

Volkswagen plans to ‘leapfrog’ Tesla in electric car race (May be behind paywall for some).

“Anything Tesla can do, we can surpass,” declared Herbert Diess, head of the VW brand at its Wolfsburg headquarters. Moreover, he said, what Tesla will achieve in the premium market, VW will achieve in the volume market. “We are confident that in this new world we will become a market leader,” he added.

http://jalopnik.com/volkswagen-is-planning-a-cheap-all-electric-assault-to-1794412686

Ever consider temporarily trading your van? Join the list.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sTeeve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Another guy putting a T3 and Tesla together. Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
Wow, what a tease! I was watching and it was taking forever so I skipped ahead and amazed they spent so much time on a video without driving it yet.

Amazing project - truly. I have watched, driven and been a part of vehicle prototypes for a long time and find that most people cannot appreciate the amount of work and time it takes to convert X to Y on something as complex as a vehicle. That is a piece of work. I hope someone posts the update when they are driving it.

Yes, amazing. The work that Bill has done in adapting the Tesla drivetrain to the Vanagon chassis is a marvel to behold. Not to mention the wiring and electronics. I am insanely jealous! The man does phenomenal work!

DC fast charging doesn't yet exist in the DIY conversion world; however, EVTV is working on a kit, and others are, as well. That will be a huge step forward.
Battery technology has finally arrived, and EV road trips non-Tesla style are already happening (ask me how I know!).

There's a couple who have been traveling around North America in their Model X towing a camping trailer .

Seems to me a perfect match: EVRV plugs-in at RV park, charges EV battery + runs all necessary electrical items like microwave, fridge, toaster, lights, pumps, yadayada. Next morning, EV battery is full, EVRV can move on. Or not. Stay and enjoy the pool and the campfire! Boondocking is a different kettle of fish, sure, but... Smile

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc165Q7JW2_4fofx7VaRL7w
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Another guy putting a T3 and Tesla together. Reply with quote

I have an idea!
Let's discuss transplanting a Tesla Drivetrain into a Vanagon!? Just like the OP started the thread.

Not the merits of or horrors of the electric vehicle.......

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Another guy putting a T3 and Tesla together. Reply with quote

HackAl wrote:

“Anything Tesla can do, we can surpass,” declared Herbert Diess, head of the VW brand at its Wolfsburg headquarters.

http://jalopnik.com/volkswagen-is-planning-a-cheap-all-electric-assault-to-1794412686

So why didn't they do just that? I'm glad they are doing this, but why waste all the engineering genius on cheating the smog tester when they could have done something really good?

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HackAl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Another guy putting a T3 and Tesla together. Reply with quote

Exactly. The "leapfrog" is a much needed distraction from the scandal that lets VW recast itself as an environmental champion.

I was intrigued by the electric bus concept VW recently unveiled but I can't help think it lacks imagination. The Telsa brand, at least for some, represents innovation and persistence against the grain. Mr. Diess' smug comments only serve to reinforce that. It's not enough to say you can do something "better". Do something new and extraordinary. That's why the bus is so iconic in first place.

Nice to know that American ingenuity is alive and well. VW might learn a thing or two meeting with shops like the one featured in the video and asking some questions. Good public relations anyway.

(Sorry Dave. I know nothing about actually transplanting drivetrains but do like this topic. Maybe split it?)

Ever consider temporarily trading your van? Join the list.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Another guy putting a T3 and Tesla together. Reply with quote

HackAl wrote:
Exactly. The "leapfrog" is a much needed distraction from the scandal that lets VW recast itself as an environmental champion.

....well said. Very easy to distract people in today's world. There's so much information coming in. If what you're publishing contains elements they want to hear - they'll believe the industry-tainted propaganda attached. It's easy for an entertainment company to make up news that people like, and tailor it to the clients wishes. All it takes is money to pay for the production. Perhaps it has always been easy. It can be done blatantly by an entertainment company that has a news outlet. Nobody really cares if their news comes from an entertainment company if it's what they want to hear.

Sodo wrote:
Wonder if you can program a torque limitation to ~150 ft-lbs. With 317 ft lbs you could destroy all the bearings in a single romp. Especially with such torque at low RPM.

Additionally, we are often guilty of inattention. Embarassed I finally watched the video and learned that this Tesla motor power is not passing thru a VW transaxle; this project uses the Tesla 'axle'. This DOKA can romp! However the 'little' VW axles are used, which could wear quickly. but as the builder explained the owner can replace the VW axles easily.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Another guy putting a T3 and Tesla together. Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
I have an idea!
Let's discuss transplanting a Tesla Drivetrain into a Vanagon!? Just like the OP started the thread.

Not the merits of or horrors of the electric vehicle.......

Dave

This guy did it..

Link

Link

There is a drive train on ebay with 25 miles for $10k btw
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Another guy putting a T3 and Tesla together. Reply with quote

I just saw a video on FB where he is spinning tires at take off Cool Cool
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Another guy putting a T3 and Tesla together. Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:
I just saw a video on FB where he is spinning tires at take off Cool Cool

He does that in the first video above!!
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Another guy putting a T3 and Tesla together. Reply with quote

what state is he in ??

plates almost look like Wash., but the text is not long enuff
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Another guy putting a T3 and Tesla together. Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
what state is he in ??

plates almost look like Wash., but the text is not long enuff

Looks like they are in Missouri.
http://evtv.me

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
MayorMcCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Another guy putting a T3 and Tesla together. Reply with quote

The Stretchla project was put on hiatus years ago due to parts not being available but looks like he's back at it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSm0-jjZRQs
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Another guy putting a T3 and Tesla together. Reply with quote

spinning tires is all find and dandy, very green, But what is the range and recharge time for this van? how many kwhrs are required for a full charge from dead?

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Another guy putting a T3 and Tesla together. Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
spinning tires is all find and dandy, very green, But what is the range and recharge time for this van? how many kwhrs are required for a full charge from dead?

I believe it gets an equivalent mileage of 3 dead cats/mile. Laughing

I really like this video of the Tesla Model X, skip to about 3:30 to watch it race a "super car". Wouldn't want to put that torque through my Syncro tranny!

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Head+to+Head+...ORM=VRDGAR

-d
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Another guy putting a T3 and Tesla together. Reply with quote

raoul mitgong wrote:
bluebus86 wrote:

I believe it gets an equivalent mileage of 3 dead cats/mile. Laughing

I really like this video of the Tesla Model X, skip to about 3:30 to watch it race a "super car". Wouldn't want to put that torque through my Syncro tranny!

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Head+to+Head+...ORM=VRDGAR

-d

Whats the carbon paw print of three cats??? (12 paws equate to how many charcoal brickettes?)

anyway, important info is needed, range, recharge time and electric consumed, all primary concerns when doing an electric comversion for many folks.

raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Another guy putting a T3 and Tesla together. Reply with quote

Bluebuss,

Since it is Tesla parts, start here.
https://www.tesla.com/models

Scroll down, you can get range, cost, and recharge time estimates as you change variables. Likely not a 1:1 with aerodynamics and whatever changes they did to the stock equipment. Not listed in cats/mile unfortunately.

-d
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Another guy putting a T3 and Tesla together. Reply with quote

raoul mitgong wrote:
Bluebuss,

Since it is Tesla parts, start here.
https://www.tesla.com/models

Scroll down, you can get range, cost, and recharge time estimates as you change variables. Likely not a 1:1 with aerodynamics and whatever changes they did to the stock equipment. Not listed in cats/mile unfortunately.

-d

Yeah, but thats like estimating the mpg and range of a type IV vanagon, by reading the applicable values for a type IV 411 or 914.

Id like to know how this electric van does for range, kwhr for recharge, and charge time.

Spinning tires are not impressing me, lots of folks can build a toy car that can do that. I sure hope them tires where made from a zero carbon paw print, soy based rubber,

Good data on range and recharge time, and power used on the elctric vanagon is what is needed.

PS Rendered cat fat on the rear tires will really make them smoke during a burn out, carbon neutral too.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: