Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bus for film use
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mainstreetprod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Bus for film use Reply with quote

As mentioned in a post a few weeks back, I'm and indy filmmaker and purchased this bus a couple of months back for use in a period film I'm making. I decided to go removable rather than painting over a perfectly good paint job, so used vinyl graphics for the "hippy van" look, than car wax and a broom to age to give it some "patina". The back of the bus is untouched except for the graphics, so it can appear as a different bus in a scene that takes place in the Virgin Islands.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus for film use Reply with quote

Nice to know what Benz caps fit on the rims. Have a hard time believing someone painting a bus like that is gonna pony up for those hub caps. Is there a tie off in the film, like they came off their grandmother's car? Or flat out stolen from the villan?
mainstreetprod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus for film use Reply with quote

my59 wrote:
Nice to know what Benz caps fit on the rims. Have a hard time believing someone painting a bus like that is gonna pony up for those hub caps. Is there a tie off in the film, like they came off their grandmother's car? Or flat out stolen from the villan?

They are on there for now because I had them hanging on the garage wall and wanted to know if they fit. May take them off when we start shooting and go with the rusty bare rims- or put back on the white JC Whitney "german" wheel covers the bus came with.

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus for film use Reply with quote

Rust rims and get the clearly wiped on marks off that wax job. Art takes some time.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus for film use Reply with quote

You sure those are crap JC Whitney hub caps? From here they look very much like the accessory hub caps that were available in the late '70s from VW.

... If they are and you only have two and would be interested in selling, I'd be interested in buying, as I only have two!

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Bus for film use Reply with quote

That bus looks too new for a "hippy van" and the aging doesn't look convicing at all. Sorry.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Bus for film use Reply with quote

I agree the wax just don't sit right,little fine tuning and it could look great colored wax might help..Great job saving the paint! Nice bus.
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Bus for film use Reply with quote

lil-jinx wrote:
I agree the wax just don't sit right,little fine tuning and it could look great colored wax might help..Great job saving the paint! Nice bus.
We already know too much to suspend disbelief.... Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
mainstreetprod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus for film use Reply with quote

TomWesty wrote:
lil-jinx wrote:
We already know too much to suspend disbelief.... Cool

I agree it doesn't look as convincing as I would like. Now I need all the armchair quarterbacks to come up with a better way to age it. I originally did the driver's door with red rubbing compound, and liked the way it turned out better. But I misplaced the compound and did the rest with car wax. Here's the driver's side:
mainstreetprod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus for film use Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
You sure those are crap JC Whitney hub caps? From here they look very much like the accessory hub caps that were available in the late '70s from VW.

... If they are and you only have two and would be interested in selling, I'd be interested in buying, as I only have two!

I saw them once in an ad and thought the seller was wrong about them being from VW, because they are so lightweight. But they do have a "Wolfsburg" emblem in the middle. I'll take your word for it. Have all four though so will probably sell them with the bus after the film is done.
rusty busty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus for film use Reply with quote

It needs more dirt/rust. Especially around the bottom. That bumper is waaaay too clean. Can you find an old dented rusty bumper to put on for filming?
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus for film use Reply with quote

By using this bus, in the time period that you have suggested, it's going to have to be a continuation of the "Back to the Future" series or you're going to lose all credibility. Faux-aging a vehicle that's 10-15 years newer than your timeline is going to catch you a bunch of hell.

In addition to incorrect model, you have a vehicle that is not a factory color & the two tone is wrong in several areas.

I'm not trying to be an ass, but you seem to believe that everyone who might see your film are going to be ignorant of this or able to overlook it, which they might, if your film is supposed to be a cinematic spoof of Woodstock.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.

Last edited by TDCTDI on Sat May 20, 2017 8:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus for film use Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
By using this bus, in the time period that you have suggested, it's going to have to be a continuation of the "Back to the Future" series or you're going to lose all credibility. Faux-aging a vehicle that's 10-15 years newer than your timeline is going to catch you a bunch of hell.

He never said the time period. By the looks of what he's trying to do, maybe the mid '90s or early 2000s. But I agree with everyone, it needs more weathering around the bottom and those bumpers need to be aged or get bad ones to put on.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus for film use Reply with quote

In another post, it was mentioned that the film was at/about Woodstock.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus for film use Reply with quote

Oh, then the bus is too new, but I don't think the majority of people know that. It wouldn't be that bad already though anyway because it's a bay window.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus for film use Reply with quote

If you still insist on ruining your credibility by using this bus,try Plastidip. You can paint the bus with it, it's already going to be a flat/satin finish, you can faux finish over the top of it & peel it off when you're done or need to change colors to give the appearance of "multiple" cars.
https://www.dipyourcar.com

mainstreetprod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Bus for film use Reply with quote

The movie takes place in the late 60's. It's not aimed at VW enthusiasts or even car guys- it's a chick click, a story of the wives and girlfriends of the servicemen who went to Vietnam. Every low budget indy film has to make choices as to where to put their money, we chose to hire professional actors and crew which adds up to a lot. I'm relying on the kindness of local car club people to bring their cars, with the exception of the bus and my '66 Tbird. Naturally 8 out of 10 old cars these days has modern wheels and tires, so I'm dealing with positioning them so we only see the front or rear, and putting the few original cars out front. I've been a car guy since the age of 12 and it would drive me insane to see modern wheels and tires in a period film.

That being said, even having owned 3 VW bugs and a notchback before I turned 18, I was unaware of the exact year the bus body style changed or the differences between an early and late bay. The same was true of people I talked to at a local cruise in. I'm pretty sure that outside of the Samba our bay window bus won't take anyone out of the story.
fes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Bus for film use Reply with quote

If it's late 60's period,you need a split window..No hippy could afford a brand new bay window (1968) for $2100+ and then turn around and paint psychedelic crap all over it and installing dingo balls on it before loading up for Yasgur's farm..
But as you said,It's not geared for VW people,and splits are hard to come by,so just paint a big "V" on the nose and call it a day Brick wall
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Bus for film use Reply with quote

Incorrect details like this are a sure way to take viewers out of the story before it even gets started.

I've worked on everything from low budget scifi channel stuff to 150+ million dollar budget pictures. I've seen a lot of picture cars ... 3 or 4 identically rusted and aged vehicles waiting for their turn in front of the camera. It always amazed me the amount of work that went into prepping a vehicle for camera. That's why I leave the art department stuff to the art department. But I also grew up during the period you are trying to depict and I know what doesn't look right. If the bus is such an integral part of the story the details have to be right.

With the amount of "patina" you are trying to depict, the windows and upper part of the vehicle are too clean. Another suggestion ... the graphics should look hand painted, irregular. But, that still doesn't change the fact the vehicle itself is just too new. Every time I see a bay window with a "hippy" paint job it makes me cringe.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
mainstreetprod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus for film use Reply with quote

Unfortunately, in this case the art department is me. As far as being a major part of the story, it's not really. hippy boyfriend drives up in it and they are later seen camping in it, but that's it. Lost the Benz hubcaps, and made another attempt at patina, using black car wax. Unfortunately, the photos are'nt representing very well what it actually looks like (a lot less glossy)

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: