Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Beetle may get the axe.
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject: Beetle may get the axe. Reply with quote

Any thoughts on this article today in MotorTrend regarding giving the Beetle and Scirocco the axe but phase out will keep the convertible Beetle? Say it is so.Crying or Very sad

http://www.motortrend.com/news/volkswagen-beetle-scirocco-may-get-axe/

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle may get the axe. Reply with quote

The beetle.....while a decent reliable car with mostly Golf/Jetta under pinnings.....is just a variant of those other two models that is made to look interesting.

If its no longer sellimg well.....there is nothing really redeeming enough about it to warrant keeping it. Its just not that important.

The new sirroco (not really that new as its been around since 2006)......while I was a huge fan of the old Sirocco cars.....because they were different enough in looks, fitment AND handling to be worthy on their own even though they had largely rabbit underpinnings and at best GTI underpinnings...........when I saw the release of the new Sirocco........I did not see the point.

Its too much just another Golf variant with the later ones 2009 and on....using some parts stolen from the Golf R. From the side and front it looks like a Golf with a profile change. The original Sirocco looked nothing like a Golf.

If they had REALLY reshaped and rebalanced the chassis......maybe go back further to the Mk1 Sirocco wedge shape a bit.....tighten up the interior and pretty much make it a 2+2 instead of a functional 4 seater....which they "Kind of" did.......on the back end.....wider and with a hatch back......I think they may have had something.

In its current incarnation.....using "R" parts....its too expensive and competes with thr GTI if they brought it to North America. With its current from end looks......it competes with all Golfs if brought here.....and not enough to distinguish it. Interior wise....its a Golf. While that is not bad.....its not different enough.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blue72beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle may get the axe. Reply with quote

The Beetle is the only 2 door VW sells in the US. Even the GTI isn't available in two doors anymore. There just aren't enough people buying two door cars.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle may get the axe. Reply with quote

blue72beetle wrote:
The Beetle is the only 2 door VW sells in the US. Even the GTI isn't available in two doors anymore. There just aren't enough people buying two door cars.

I believe the Golf standard models are available in two door still. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle may get the axe. Reply with quote

I thought they stopped making the Beetle in 2004.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle may get the axe. Reply with quote

Laughing

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle may get the axe. Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
I thought they stopped making the Beetle in 2004.

They did, this is just a Golf in drag.
itskyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle may get the axe. Reply with quote

I hate to hear that.

I'd love to have an electric new beetle.

Kyle
74 SuperBeetle Auto Stick (I miss that car)
73 SquareBack, Straight Stick (Wife misses this one.)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: