Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Low beam problem
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Freezzr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject: Low beam problem Reply with quote

Hello!

After reading several topics here about lowbeams not working I have a few questions left hoping to fix mine Sad I'm resurrecting a deluxe early bay built in may 1970 NA-model. I finally hooked up the battery today after checking all wiring, new bulbs, etc. And yes there's a lot working. High beams up front, driving lights up front, hazard lights all around, turnsignals all around, brake lights and the license plate light.

The only things that aren't working is the low-beams and rear lights both left and right. Also the right rear running light doesn't work. I've checked a lot of things (rear bulbs and contacts, front bulbs, fuses, etc) but can't seem to fix it. I read about a relay but the high beam works on and off.

Can anybody point me in a direction where to look at?
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Low beam problem Reply with quote

Low beam problem might be the relay or the ground in the turn signal switch.
you said: " I read about a relay but the high beam works on and off. "
That sounds like the switch and the relay are both doing their job. Would it be?
A. bad grounds
B. bad wiring to the headlights
C. bad headlights
D. A and B
E. B and C
F. A and C
G. all of the above
H. none of the above

Aloha
tp

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Low beam problem Reply with quote

Also: spin the fuses in their holders a turn or to to wipe the contact points cleaner. See if that helps.

If that doesn't get it, then it's schematic and test light time. Trace the power from the headlight switch through the high beam relay and all the way to the headlight bulbs. See where the power stops.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Freezzr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Low beam problem Reply with quote

Hello bay friends,

I hope you can help me out with this. We fixed the rear lights, my buddy did some measuring and found out there was a wire break in the back wiring. So yes rear lights!

But now I have the following problem:

I have converted the front lights from sealed beam to H4 lights.

When I put the ingnition key in and 'on':

Pull headlight switch to 1st position: running lights on, no headlights.

Pull headlight switch to 2nd position: running lights on, no headlights.

Pull headlight switch to 3rd position: running lights on, no low beam, only high beam when indicator switch pulled (on/off)

I checked all fuses & fuse contacts. I also checked the relays and the look OK on first sight. I opened the big middle relay and it looked dry and OK. Ground from headlights/turn signals run to the outer headlight bowls and look OK too.

The voltage on the fusebox:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

When in 3rd position: fuse 3/4 read +12v. Fuse 5/6 read 0,20v.

Indicator lights/hazard lights blink very fast, when indicator is on left/right and also when hazard switch is pulled.

Am I doing something wrong? Am I missing something?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Low beam problem Reply with quote

Freezzr wrote:
.......Pull headlight switch to 3rd position: running lights on, no low beam, only high beam when indicator switch pulled (on/off).......

Third position?, that must be a different switch than we have here, unless you are counting pushed all the way in as the first position.
I think we'll need some pictures of your relays, some Swedish delivered models included a feature to flash the license light with the headlights, maybe there's a bonus relay involved that's causing troubles?
On most systems power for the headlights comes from terminal #56 on the headlight switch and goes to 56 on the relay via a white/black wire, then the relay switches power between 56a and 56b (or sometimes called f) which connect to the headlight fuses via yellow and white wires respectively. Some headlight relays also include a red wire to terminal #30, those will flash 56b when the signal lever is pulled even if the headlights are off.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Freezzr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Low beam problem Reply with quote

Excuse me Bugdaddy, I miscounted the clicks. There are two clicks on the headlights switch. I took the signal lever out today, gave it a good cleaning and guess what happened, the signal/hazard lights now blink at normal speed. Feeling happy as I'm almost there!

Only thing not working left is the low beams. My bus is an early '70 model US delivery. Can it have something to do with the switching of the sealedbeams tot H4 headlights?

I'll measure/test the white wires right now.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Low beam problem Reply with quote

Freezzr wrote:
Can it have something to do with the switching of the sealedbeams tot H4 headlights?.

The extra load may have exposed a flaw in an already weak relay or wire connection, that diagram above applies to your bus if its a US delivery model.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Freezzr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Low beam problem Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Freezzr wrote:
Can it have something to do with the switching of the sealedbeams tot H4 headlights?.

The extra load may have exposed a flaw in an already weak relay or wire connection, that diagram above applies to your bus if its a US delivery model.

It looks like high beam is running over the yellow wiring. It seems to me high beam has to be over the whites looking at the warning light wiring. I'll check that out and I'll try another relay this week.
Freezzr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Low beam problem Reply with quote

Freezzr wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
Freezzr wrote:

It looks like high beam is running over the yellow wiring. It seems to me high beam has to be over the whites looking at the warning light wiring. I'll check that out and I'll try another relay this week.

Yellow and white wiring are correct on the fusebox with the diagram, also the wiring to the relay is correct. Am I right that the high beams have to run through the white wiring?
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Low beam problem Reply with quote

Yes.

Test for voltage at the headlight sockets with a test light or voltmeter.

Note: some original Bentley schematics were printed wrong, and had the wire colors mixed up. The schematics in Technical on this site have been corrected. You might compare yours to see if it's correct.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: