Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Censorship in the Forums
Forum Index -> Site Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
empi3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject: Censorship in the Forums Reply with quote

This morning someone made a mistake in his post. No big deal we're all human , we all make mistakes.

Instead of admitting to a mistake, the post and the reply pointing out the mistake were deleted by someone.

Granted, neither the mistake nor the reply added anything to the OP's question but, geez that's still censorship.

And yes I agree that those who have the power to delete posts here are allowed to do so at their discretion but you know...... just saying

Steven

1970 Beetle
1956 Ragtop Beetle
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Censorship in the Forums Reply with quote

It's a privately owned/operated forum and the people in charge are free to edit or delete at their discretion. The rules are pretty clearly stated. If you don't like them, oh well.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
empi3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Censorship in the Forums Reply with quote

I agree with you 100% that is their privilege, as stated in my original post. I'm really and truly not trying to start sh*t, I'm just wondering why such drastic action was taken for such a silly mistake and reply.

Steven

1970 Beetle
1956 Ragtop Beetle
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Censorship in the Forums Reply with quote

Moved to Site as this is a Site topic/question.

What was posted? It's hard to reply without knowing the issue.

It's possible the person asked for it to be removed - this happens and I have removed posts and replies based on user requests.

It's possible it added confusion to the topic and was removed.

I did not remove anything this AM but maybe the moderator who removed it will reply with the reason.

A point of clarification:
It's not censorship. Censorship is a government action.
(Semantics maybe but still true)
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Censorship in the Forums Reply with quote

empi3 wrote:
I agree with you 100% that is their privilege, as stated in my original post. I'm really and truly not trying to start sh*t, I'm just wondering why such drastic action was taken for such a silly mistake and reply.

Steven

If you find removing a post from a private hobbyist forum drastic yiu may heed to toughen up a bit. Not trying to start any sh*t. Lol.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
empi3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Censorship in the Forums Reply with quote

This is the topic in question
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678982

The first deleted post stated something like Funny Speedy Jim would copyright in 1999 and J. Mais would copyright in 2011

the second deleted post stated Funny not realizing J. Mais is Speedy Jim

An honest mistake was made in the first post, no problem.
A little fun was poked in the second post.

I apologize for making fun.

As stated in my first post, both of the posts are subject to deletion as they didn't really add any info to the OP but, I've seen more frivolous posts.

Steven

1970 Beetle
1956 Ragtop Beetle
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Censorship in the Forums Reply with quote

empi3 wrote:
Granted, neither the mistake nor the reply added anything to the OP's question but, geez that's still censorship.

And yes I agree that those who have the power to delete posts here are allowed to do so at their discretion but you know...... just saying

Steven

It was me, there will be no coverup. It's not like i fired the FBI Director or anything close to that.

Yes, it added nothing.

Being a moderator is not a easy job and the pay is low... actually non existent. And the benefits are minimal. If YOU made the same mistake and asked me to delete it... I would of.

I think i'm entitled to the same consideration as any other member.

BTW, this is stated in the Rules you agreed to when registering: DON'T post complaints about a forum or moderator; contact Everett privately.

Sharp64 wrote:
It's a privately owned/operated forum and the people in charge are free to edit or delete at their discretion. The rules are pretty clearly stated. If you don't like them, oh well.

^^^^^^^^
What he said.

If you don't like how I moderate, ask the Russians for help during the next election.

Here's another suggestion:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lavo56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Censorship in the Forums Reply with quote

x sorry how'd i get here anyway
empi3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Censorship in the Forums Reply with quote

Sorry I poked fun a you.
It was all in good fun I thought.
Won't ever do it again

I did PM Everett and he moved it here( I could be wrong cause I'm not sure what this means

EverettB wrote:
Moved to Site as this is a Site topic/question.

I just find humorous that you choose to remove them, personally I would have responded with OOOPS Embarassed

Steven

1970 Beetle
1956 Ragtop Beetle
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Censorship in the Forums Reply with quote

Yes, I did get a PM from you too.

It's ok to start a thread to ask, I don't mind as it gives others a chance to see our possible reasons above.

I'm glad it was explained above though.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Site All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: