Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Date of birth South Africa T2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
roscopeco10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:21 am    Post subject: Date of birth South Africa T2 Reply with quote

Hi based in the UK with my SA imported 79 double cab T2, Desperetely trying to find out the actual production date from somewhere any ideas? SA reg. CAZ 11433 I need the date to get it registered over here. Would love any suggestions
Cavilry6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Date of birth Reply with quote

Have you tried decoding your M-code? That is where I got my DOB. In my signature below should be the link.

[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate2-32802.png]Click to view image[/URL]
roscopeco10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:31 am    Post subject: Re: Date of birth Reply with quote

Like the decoder page! Unfortunately my SA plate has a different arrangement of numbers and letters which I have tried splitting down but the decoder does not recogise them. Apparently they are completely different down in SA. All I need is the production date grrr
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Date of birth Reply with quote

roscopeco10 wrote:
Like the decoder page! Unfortunately my SA plate has a different arrangement of numbers and letters which I have tried splitting down but the decoder does not recogise them. Apparently they are completely different down in SA. All I need is the production date grrr

This is just a WAG, but in the M-plate pic, there are the numbers "056/1979". That could mean the 56th day of 1979, or Feb. 25, 1979.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
roscopeco10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Date of birth Reply with quote

I have a huge grin in hope this is correct!!!!!! how sure are your thoughts, as in have you seen anything like this before or is it purely an idea? (as much as I like it!)
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Date of birth Reply with quote

As I said, it's just a WAG (Wild Ass Guess), but VW used similar date formats in other forms.

BTW, a WAG is much better than a PDOOMA...
...(Pulled Directly Out Of My Ass)... Dancing

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
roscopeco10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Date of birth Reply with quote

Like it and will be used in future! Smile
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Date of birth Reply with quote

It seems the South-African Transporters were assembled there by a local company from Complete Knock Down kits, where the parts were mostly coming from either Germany or Brazil, with some locally-sourced ones to throw in the mix. At some point VW of South Africa was founded, but it is not clear to me if they still produced their vehicles from CKD kits.

In any case, it appears South-African buses did not have a conventional M plate, and there is little info about its format.

You can do a search for the term "Fleetline", which is how the buses with splitty bodies and bay window nose made in SA via CKD production were known. It does not describe yours, but it's a way to find more info on that code plate of yours, as it seems both the Fleetline and later buses in SA featured such a plate.

Quote:
268S EA 479 4717
01 056/1979-3
2692 101 064

From that plate, I can do a SLWAG (Slightly Less Wild Ass Guess):

268S: 268 => VW Pick-up with double cab (cab door left, RHD); S =>The Brazilian CKD kits have a B, so perhaps the "S" means South Africa? Not sure.
4717: sequential production line number??
2692 101 064 (chassis number): 26 => Model 26 (Pick-up); 9 => Model Year 1979; 2 => This seems to be always "2" for all buses; 101 064: serial number

Perhaps you can ask on the South African bus forums? I'm sure they'd know more about that.

More info:
- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3920087#3920087
- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4431195#4431195
- http://www.ssvc.org.uk/phpbb/posting.php?mode=quot...1f7fa4dbcc
- https://www.aircooledvwsa.co.za/viewtopic.php?t=25201
- https://www.aircooledvwsa.co.za/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=9014

Decode your M-Plate
roscopeco10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Date of birth Reply with quote

Ok so the number at the bottom is definitley the German Chasis number and the number at the top of the VIN plate is the chasis number. I have had great help from people on here, VW in SA were pretty hmmmm but the VW historian down there was fantastic along with amazing help from a lady at the VW Automuseum in Stifftung.
I still have to complete the process but if it helps anybody registering a South African bus here is an idea of what has been involved for me so far-

-Get Bus imported to Dover UK-
Made sure I had-
receipt from last owner (South Africa) present
receipt from sale (Importer etc.)
receipt of import tax paid along with shipping forms
any possible available paperwork

All the above was provided and paid for by the importer, but would vary on individual negotiations between you and the seller/importer

-Contact DVLA (UK) and file a NOVA (notification of vehicle arrival)
-Ask for the documents for registration at the same time. These take a little while to come through.

At this point I realised that ALL! the paperwork had a typo with the South African VIN number. There was one digit wrong reading 268EA479 A717 when the VIN plate actualy reads 4717 at the end.
To resolve this I spoke to a great historian and historical advisor in SA who confirmed that the last 4 digits are always numbers. He put this in writing to me and Volkswagen SA provided me a great letter of recomendation for the historian. DVLA informed me that this would all be fine to make the changes.

-Insure vehicle (I used just kampers, gave me a price and features not worth looking elsewhere for)

-MOT vehicle
this got halted in mid test as the computer required DD/MM/YY to continue.
Not knowing this, looked more at the VIN plate numbers and being from SA there is not a lot to tell! (see pic earlier in this post) Again with help from the SA historian and German lady in Stifftung we discovered the lower number was the German Chasis number. The Auto museum provided me with what info they had and through people trying to decode the VIN plate in SA aswell we could only get March 1979.
Contacted DVSA (driver and vehicle standards agency) used to be VOSA.
They look after the whole MOT thing,they informed me that you automatically use the last day of that year if you do not know the actual day - 31/12/1979. Joy to my ears!

I am at this stage now.
-Vehicle will get an ID number for the MOT which will go against the German chasis number and the new 1979 date. This info will all end up on the new V5 registration document when processed.

-Tax vehicle using the ID number
-Fill in DVLA registration documents (obtained earlier) provide copies of all the receipts and documents gathered so far along with, insurance certificate and MOT certificate.
-Apparently within 5-10 working days they should have processed the paperwork as long as they are happy with everything and will issue a refference code. This code is for the age related regestration mark which you can go and purchase the plates for and then the vehicle will be useable. I was told it can take quite a long time for the V5 registration document, sometimes months so they now give you a code in the mean time.
Hopefully someone may pick something out of this that helps, but I will say how great it is when you get so much help from strangers worldwide all because of VW's!
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Date of birth Reply with quote

Awesome, congrats!

roscopeco10 wrote:
Ok so the number at the bottom is definitley the German Chasis number and the number at the top of the VIN plate is the chasis number.

So the plate contains two chassis numbers? I.e.:

268S EA 479 4717 <- South-African chassis number (decode as per [*])
01 056/1979-3 <- Unknown?
2692 101 064 <- German chassis number (decode as per regular chassis number)

roscopeco10 wrote:
I spoke to a great historian and historical advisor in SA who confirmed that the last 4 digits are always numbers.

This could be interesting to keep on record for those with a South-African bus: could he say more about the format of that first line? And were those 4 last digits simply the serial production number?

Cheers.

[*] Guess at decoding:

CCCC CC CCC CCCC

- First three digits: vehicle model
- Fourth digit: letter, B (Brazil) or S (?)
- Sixth and seventh digits: always "EA"?
- Eighth to tenth digits: unknown
- Last four digits: serial production number

Decode your M-Plate
stirlingmoz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Date of birth Reply with quote

Here is the Vin plate from my South African right hand drive 1975 crew cab.

The South African registration document says it was first registered on January the 1st 1976. (1975 model year ?)

Just applied for a birth certificate to aid UK registration.

Interesting to try and figure what the numbers and letters mean.

Stirlingmoz
dwill49965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Date of birth Reply with quote

furgo wrote:
2 => This seems to be always "2" for all buses

The "2" refers to the second decade of production - to distinguish between the years 1969 and 1979. The "2" indicates that it is a '79.

Meyer wrote:
Lastly, you just referred to US citizens as 'Americans'. Exactly what kind of Canadian are you? From what continent?
roscopeco10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Date of birth Reply with quote

I am far from an expert on this! I need to do an update on the progress with the registration on my DC. I think I have included in the post details John Lemon from SA VW provided me with the break down of the numbers.
And Germany had details of mine leaving the factory in kit form then being assembled in SA giving a later registration date. For some reason the South Africans used the long number at the top of the VIN plate as the chassis no. and that caused registration issues over here. I got the documents corrected now using the VW chassis no. on the bottom of the VIN plate. I am expecting the VW to be registered this week fingers crossed and will post everything else I have found out whilst registering asap
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Date of birth Reply with quote

stirlingmoz wrote:

The South African registration document says it was first registered on January the 1st 1976. (1975 model year ?)

Just applied for a birth certificate to aid UK registration.

Interesting to try and figure what the numbers and letters mean.

From what you're saying and according to the plate, it's actually model year 1976. Decoding your plate:

Quote:

268N EA 387 2955
11-09/68/56
2662 051 025

• Vehicle model: Pick-up with double cab, cab door left, RHD (268)
• Serial production line no.: 2955
• German chassis number: 2662 051 025
∘ Pick-up (26)
∘ Model year 1976 (6)
∘ Serial number: 051 025

dwill49965 wrote:
furgo wrote:
2 => This seems to be always "2" for all buses

The "2" refers to the second decade of production - to distinguish between the years 1969 and 1979. The "2" indicates that it is a '79.

Awesome, thanks Darryl, another bit figured out! Now if we could figure out if the letter after the vehicle model (e.g. 268N) has a meaning, most of the info on the South-African plates would be decyphered.

Decode your M-Plate
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Date of birth Reply with quote

roscopeco10 wrote:
I think I have included in the post details John Lemon from SA VW provided me with the break down of the numbers.

I might have missed it, but I've not seen your breakdown on any of the posts. Might be useful to provide it for other SA bus owners.

roscopeco10 wrote:
I am expecting the VW to be registered this week fingers crossed and will post everything else I have found out whilst registering asap

Good luck!

Decode your M-Plate
SLAKKER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Date of birth South Africa T2 Reply with quote

Post your question on www.aircooledvwsa.co.za
someone should be able to decode it for U
chimneyfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Date of birth South Africa T2 Reply with quote

It would have been manufactured in Germany and then exported for assembly as a CKD kit by VW of South Africa.

In your engine bay, on the left side, on the lip where the body meets the tinware just below where the foam seal goes just before it curves round, is there a German VIN number stamped into the metal? That is what you need.

Armed with that number you find the production date (in Germany, those other numbers may help deciphering assembly date in SA on their forum), and while you are at it you can then apply to the VW Automuseum in Wolfsburg for a birth certificate:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=398

Message Fig directly on here, he is a really helpful Samba member and heavily involved in the SA forum linked to by SLAKKER in the above post:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=9893
1972 T2 Camper (Devon), 1988 Golf, 1972 Type 1, 1984 Polo, 1972 T2 Camper (Danbury)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Date of birth South Africa T2 Reply with quote

Try the South African Aircooled VW Club

https://aircooledvwsa.co.za/

I'm a long-standing member, but I need to get my password reactivated.

https://aircooledvwsa.co.za/viewforum.php?f=87&sid=bc3b69a2d6c73435f51a929522234eb7

Home > Board index > Guest Forum > Help with History of my Van

https://aircooledvwsa.co.za/viewtopic.php?f=87&t=35758&sid=bc3b69a2d6c73435f51a929522234eb7

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stirlingmoz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: Date of birth South Africa T2 Reply with quote

Done some more research and can add a little more.

The letters 'EA' are the world export destination code.
In this case made in Hannover and sent to Zaire, Kisangani.

The South African VW site suggests the middle row of numbers relate to colour of exterior and interior but apparaently all records have been lost / destroyed.

In addition it appears that the VIN wasn't stamped (repeated) in the engine bay during assembly at Uitenhage in the early to mid 70's.

Mine is certainly blank. The only ID is the riveted plate.

I have also researched the engine number.

This starts SFFR ******

Apparently the SF denotes an engine built in SA and the R denotes a replacement engine case.

Stirlingmoz
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: