Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

To paint or not to paint that is the question
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TROY WALTERS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject: To paint or not to paint that is the question Reply with quote

Good morning.
I am working on a 1970 vw and I am not sure if I should paint the car or leave it. all rust has been repaired .just about all under the care is new and updated. Part of me likes the look. But the perfectionist in me says take body off and blast and paint.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
77_Bus_Girl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: To paint or not to paint that is the question Reply with quote

I'm not usually one for the patina look, but I must admit, that would look pretty nice just polished up. Real patina tells a story - and all these cars of ours have had a long life. Embrace the wrinkles!
FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: To paint or not to paint that is the question Reply with quote

Enjoy it for now, you can always paint it later. It would really suck if you painted it and than realized you missed the patina.
vwkirb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: To paint or not to paint that is the question Reply with quote

I'd lower the back end! Or put bigger tires on it. I think the patina looks good. Unfortunately if you cleared it, I wouldn't look as good, because the rust will darken significantly. Light blue cars tend to do okay with the darker rust after clearing, but in this case I think it would be too dark.
TROY WALTERS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: To paint or not to paint that is the question Reply with quote

The back will be next getting all part together will be up grading to rear disc and stainless brake lines
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: To paint or not to paint that is the question Reply with quote

If you have the ability to paint it and do it well, paint it.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
sovereignsamba
Banned

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: To paint or not to paint that is the question Reply with quote

Paint it Cool l
Danpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: To paint or not to paint that is the question Reply with quote

Nooooo!! Don't paint it!

Seriously, somebody with some photoshop skills needs to lower this and put some cosmics on it, for a convincer. Cool

Dan
77 Scirocco (gone)
73 Squareback (scrapped)
70 Beetle (current, in pieces)
FaanP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: To paint or not to paint that is the question Reply with quote

If I may add my 2c worth .... if that is the original paint on the car - keep it as is. If not - paint it.
air-h2o-air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: To paint or not to paint that is the question Reply with quote

paint it....the crowd stating "it's only original once" is correct but rust and faded paint and primer showing is not original
OvalinAz
Samba Mini Tech

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: To paint or not to paint that is the question Reply with quote

air-h2o-air wrote:
paint it....the crowd stating "it's only original once" is correct but rust and faded paint and primer showing is not original

It is original, Like my notchback. when the car actually is Original paint, leave it. If not, PAINT IT! its doesnt look good!!! looks like Dog shit. Dont fake it.
12/62 French 11 Window Bus
Wedge VW
Pandraggers C.C.
Jessechop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: To paint or not to paint that is the question Reply with quote

I love it, fake or not. Sure the VW police might jump on you for it, but who cares? Dont tell anyone but I have a 70 with early fenders *gasp*

But seriously, I wouldnt paint it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: