Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Transmission makes noise when letting off clutch in 2nd gear
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission makes noise when letting off clutch in 2nd gear Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
sodbuster wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
sodbuster wrote:

The only other way I see that happening is a failure of the fourth gear snap ring on the pinion shaft.

I was thinking that the snap ring might not have been installed. I would think that if it failed it would have gotten into the gears doing extensive damage.

It would have milled further into the carrier housing without the snap ring. The spacer on the pinion shaft between third and fourth is also a very stiff spring and is compressed when the 4th gear is pressed onto the pinion shaft.

The spacer and the rotational force of the gears would have just kept pushing 4th further and further into the carrier housing. Shocked

From the picture I can not identify that the snap ring was present when the wear occurred, I would think wear from the snap ring would be obvious.

IMO given its size I would think you would see the bulk of any damage caused by that snap ring on the carrier bearing itself as opposed to the housing.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission makes noise when letting off clutch in 2nd gear Reply with quote

sodbuster wrote:

IMO given its size I would think you would see the bulk of any damage caused by that snap ring on the carrier bearing itself as opposed to the housing.

I can accept that
kowpeki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission makes noise when letting off clutch in 2nd gear Reply with quote

Hard to believe but we are still working on this project. We've had some personal life distractions. We have a new question. Is the following shift rail play normal or acceptable?

https://youtu.be/FOljHPeetjc
https://youtu.be/6iBU8Zu5HG8
https://youtu.be/B8McVVlePyY
https://youtu.be/uYIamVuyE44
bigbore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission makes noise when letting off clutch in 2nd gear Reply with quote

there is no measurement for it you have to know it by feel the manual has no reference for it. Even rebushed ones have some play.

from what I see in those way too short vids that's too much you also have to worry about the main bearing hole it (more offen then not) is loose.
bigbore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission makes noise when letting off clutch in 2nd gear Reply with quote

ok I just a preview of this thread and one thing put the camera DOWN less is more second you pinon bearing is shot just by the pinon ware and that gear machined spot on the gear carrier housing.
third and this point I will DRIVE home the mauals say nothing (like many things you need to know) the points on the ingaugers are NOT the main thing to look at its the flanks (the sides of those teeth) there are three groups of three teeth that are wider then the others THATS where you start to look for ware I just did a bus trany where the genus that rebuilt it thought that taking a chisel and busting off those three groups of three is how you fix it Shocked then the points those points can be worn down and the gear will work fine just can be harder to shift into at times. I dont have time today post photos with circles and arrows to point it out Iam on the road but in short there is a reason there only a few guys (or shops ) that do tranys and a thousand shops that do engines it not that easy.
kowpeki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission makes noise when letting off clutch in 2nd gear Reply with quote

Thanks for the input bigbore. I had a hard time reading your last post, but I think I get the gist of it. I did replace the pinion bearing, pinion shaft/gear and ring gear. I also replaced 1st and 2nd gears, 1-2 slider and hub, 3-4 slider and hub and reverse gear. I do appreciate the advice!
bigbore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission makes noise when letting off clutch in 2nd gear Reply with quote

ya sorry I type alittle funny as long as you got it.

I need to do a build on this site I have basically a new 1971 bus trany to put together the only used parts are the R/P the diff and housing all else is new NOS maybe Everett will make it a sticky.
kowpeki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission makes noise when letting off clutch in 2nd gear Reply with quote

New question. We (my son and I) have been using the gear marking compound method for determining the proper depth for the new pinion gear. That has resulted in a few installations and un-installations of the pinion bearing in the case and now we notice it is no longer a press fit. The next step as I understand it is to get a steal pinion bore sleeve. The question is where does one go for that? Can any good machine shop add the bore sleeve? Can the machine shop provide the bore sleeve too? Or do I have to buy one from some VW tranny shop?
bigbore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission makes noise when letting off clutch in 2nd gear Reply with quote

that can be done but not just by anybody it highly specialized Steve Kent has had it done he may Q in here and talk about it.
contact Weddle for that work they also have sleeved gear carrier housings.
bigbore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission makes noise when letting off clutch in 2nd gear Reply with quote

here you go this is the best place to get trany parts.
https://weddleindustries.com/
kowpeki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission makes noise when letting off clutch in 2nd gear Reply with quote

Thank you, sir. I will call Weddle tomorrow and see what I can learn.
kowpeki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission makes noise when letting off clutch in 2nd gear Reply with quote

Weddle says they do the steel sleeve in batches and they currently don't have enough to do a batch. My alternative is to buy one of their already sleeved cases for $495. I'd estimate we have $1200 in this rebuild. Our options:

- Use the current case with the not so press fit of the pinion bearing and see how many years we get out of it.
- Suck up an buy the $495 case from Weddle

I hate to ask it (preparing for backlash), but is there some other, better than nothing (but not the best), way to secure that pinion bearing to the case?
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission makes noise when letting off clutch in 2nd gear Reply with quote

IF he had enough steel to do a batch, what would it have cost? 2/3 of the case? 1/2?
my point is, you allready dropped bank into the build, so dont cheap out now only to have it crap out 2 years from now.
Maybe you could find a 100 dollar CL trans that you could use that MAY be better than what you have, but anything cheap is probably a gamble.
fast
right
cheap
pick any two.
bigbore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission makes noise when letting off clutch in 2nd gear Reply with quote

I will have a loose case when I get back to my shop Iam out on a 600 mile house call working on a ghia today she hit 85 on a test drive first time out for 15 years after a barn fell on it. I think I will be back in a day or 2 you can have the case just cover shipping.
kowpeki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission makes noise when letting off clutch in 2nd gear Reply with quote

bigbore wrote:
I will have a loose case when I get back to my shop I am out on a 600 mile house call working on a ghia today she hit 85 on a test drive first time out for 15 years after a barn fell on it. I think I will be back in a day or 2 you can have the case just cover shipping.

That's awesome! I'll definitely take you up on that deal. Thanks a bunch!
bigbore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission makes noise when letting off clutch in 2nd gear Reply with quote

well I got that trany apart and then I remembered the this trany is a early vanagon they are the same buy one thing the fill plug hole is not used on the early vanagon so it would have to be drilled and taped out so I went and looked in the barn heres what I found.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

do you see something special about this case?

yep its got a steel sleeve so if I give ypu this case I will ask a favor from you someday and you must do it.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/img]
kowpeki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission makes noise when letting off clutch in 2nd gear Reply with quote

Wow, you are awesome, man! I feel like part of the family now Smile If you ever need help getting something from Texas to Alaska, I'll do all I can to help.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: