Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dead Van: no spark, no fuel
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VwDubber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Dead Van: no spark, no fuel Reply with quote

Hopefully someone can help us.
We'll getting ready for a road trip and van died
It's a 1986 2.1
We've got no fuel and no spark?

Tested fuel pump with 12V direct hot wired fuel pump runs.
But no spark or fuel when cranking?

Any ideas?
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 2:19 am    Post subject: Re: Dead Van no spark no fuel Reply with quote

Black box, left front of engine area. In it are engine/fuel control relays and wiring. See if you've got power there.

Page 4 ..........
Wiring diagram page 42 & 43

http://www.loam.org/vw/Vanagon/VanagonProTraining/DigiFant/

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CdnVWJunkie Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: Dead Van no spark no fuel Reply with quote

Check all of your engine compartment grounds and the trans strap ground. Also check your ECU ground.
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: Dead Van no spark no fuel Reply with quote

I had a similar issue recently that was, as far as I know, issues with grounds.

If you want some reassurance, I suggest the following, worked for me:

- is your fuel pump priming when the ignition is on, not cranking? Additionally, is your ICV humming? These two components should do their things when the ignition is on. If they're not, what I read is that it would usually mean you have an issue somewhere in circuit #15, which starts at the ignition switch and ties all the ignition components together.

- jumper the relays in the little box that djkeev referred to. If the fuel pump works, great.

- You might want to start with a known good ignition switch. Also, I went ahead and put known good relays in the black box, just to know they were ok.

- check hall sender for power per manual. No power at hall sender? Boo.

- check ECU for power between pins #13-14, again per the link above. If your ECU is getting power but your hall sender is not, COULD mean you have an ECU issue. When I did this, I found no power going to the ECU, which to me clearly indicated a wiring issue- my ignition switch was/is brand new.

- check all the grounds. I found the ground for my hall sender harness barely hanging on (separated when I tugged on it) and two very poorly spliced ground wires behind my fuse panel. Fixing these appears to have fixed my issues.

- My next tests were going to be to check the big wires going to/from the alternator and then slowly trace the rest of circuit #15.

Good luck!
VwDubber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Dead Van no spark no fuel Reply with quote

NO-ooo The fuel Pump does NOT run when key on..

and No Spark...

We'll kind of Lost.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Dead Van no spark no fuel Reply with quote

How exactly did the problem first show itself?

Was ANY work done to the van recently?

Mark
Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Dead Van no spark no fuel Reply with quote

Ignition switch? To lose fuel and spark at the same time, something is going on upstream in the electrical system.

-Rob
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Dead Van no spark no fuel Reply with quote

ecu may not have power going to it, check the ecu as it controls both spark and fuel.

good luck

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Dead Van: no spark, no fuel Reply with quote

OP- as others have suggested, the two easiest things for you to do are check your grounds and change your ignition switch. See the FAQ section for ground locations on 2.1 engine. Here's the most exhaustive thread on the ignition switch, the first post has a link with a pictorial how to.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=375383&highlight=change+ignition+switch

If the same symptoms display after those actions, you're going to have jump into some diagnostics. Using the bentley service manual combined with the digifant pro training manual djkeev links above, you can figure it out. I'm really really new to diagnostics myself and while it's confusing at first, an organized approach helps. One thing I'm trying to do is when I start getting mad at my van, walk away, get some perspective, and come back when I remember it's just a thing and working on it is part of the fun. Making a list separate from the manual - a simple sequential checklist of what I want to do with results written down for each step as done- has helped me a lot too.

Anyway, if you're new to a multimeter like I am...there was a thread about multimeters recently. My .02 on that is the Bosch multimeter I bought at my FLAPS came with a very good general instruction manual. When the service manual tells you to measure resistance, the general instruction manual tell you how to do so. This has been very helpful for me.

Have fun!
VwDubber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Dead Van: no spark, no fuel Reply with quote

Hi All..
Just wanted to give an update..

Stopped by a friends and grabbed one of his spare ECU's, Plugged it into our Van and she fired Up.. Yea-aaaa

We'll back on the road and hammer down..

Thanks for all of your Help.. Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: