Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front nut removal on a carburetor
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
rustbelt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject: Front nut removal on a carburetor Reply with quote

Hello again guys. Replacing the current Decade 34 pic 3 carb on my 74 SB with a Solex I just rebuilt. My problem thus far is the removal of the front nut holding the carb in place. I've disconnected the accelerator cable and shut of solenoid to allow more room, as well as removed the coil and dist cap, but I still don't seem to have enough room to get a grip with either a open or box end wrench.
Any suggestions?
thanks.
71superAS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Front nut removal on a carburetor Reply with quote

rustbelt wrote:
Hello again guys. Replacing the current Decade 34 pic 3 carb on my 74 SB with a Solex I just rebuilt. My problem thus far is the removal of the front nut holding the carb in place. I've disconnected the accelerator cable and shut of solenoid to allow more room, as well as removed the coil and dist cap, but I still don't seem to have enough room to get a grip with either a open or box end wrench.
Any suggestions?
thanks.

Post a picture of your engine bay - you may need to move one more component
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Front nut removal on a carburetor Reply with quote

S shaped wrench makes it easy.
I have one that is 13mm and 14mm
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
805buggin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Front nut removal on a carburetor Reply with quote

I use an offset style box end but that S shaped one looks like it will be a lot easier.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Front nut removal on a carburetor Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
S shaped wrench makes it easy.
I have one that is 13mm and 14mm

Yep, that's what I have as well, an S-shaped box wrench. Harbor Freight has inexpensive metric sets, stock size would use 13mm box. C-shaped box wrench also works.

If you really want, you could use a Japanese (JIS) nut of 8mm x 1.25mm thread, those utilize a 12mm wrench. Ace and Japanese parts places typically have those.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
ricaroo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Front nut removal on a carburetor Reply with quote

I took my carburetor of using a 13mm stubby box wrench, all I removed was the distributor cap
rustbelt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Front nut removal on a carburetor Reply with quote

Thanks everybody for their responses. Never one to pass up an opportunity to buy a new tool, I purchased the set of metric S wrenches from Harbor Freight, came home and had the nut off pronto.
As always - great advice from TheSamba!!!!
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Front nut removal on a carburetor Reply with quote

There is also a special wrench for that nut. It's simply a wrench with a right angle. I bought one but haven't had to remove my carburetor since. Ten bucks. Several VW vendors sell them.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Front nut removal on a carburetor Reply with quote

ricaroo wrote:
I took my carburetor of using a 13mm stubby box wrench, all I removed was the distributor cap

I use a standard length 13mm wrench after removing the distributor cap. Piece of cake.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
71superAS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Front nut removal on a carburetor Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
ricaroo wrote:

I use a standard length 13mm wrench after removing the distributor cap. Piece of cake.

Same here, but I like that S wrench and might have to get some anyway
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Front nut removal on a carburetor Reply with quote

I use this wrench. You can get one just about anywhere VW parts are sold.

or from eBay for $12.50;

https://www.ebay.com/p/?iid=291860200536&&&chn=ps
allenw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Front nut removal on a carburetor Reply with quote

Heat up a standard wrench from a pawn shop for a buck and bend it yourself
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Front nut removal on a carburetor Reply with quote

I love pawn shop wrenches for a variety of reasons. Bending them is one of them.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Front nut removal on a carburetor Reply with quote

Let's face it, we are always looking for an excuse to buy more tools. Laughing

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Front nut removal on a carburetor Reply with quote

Any of these will work, plus if you are not into accumulation of tools the good old 13mm combo works, as mentioned the dist cap needs to be off also the rotor for a little more room.

Top is a unmarked copy of the Hazet 4561, then an original Hazet 615 11x13 then the Snap-On S5911 13x14 which is my favorite.

Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Front nut removal on a carburetor Reply with quote

Mine's an S-shaped 13mm x 14mm box, about 4 decades old, and I can't remember where I got it. It's German-made, Belzer-Aero No. 1954, vanadium extra. Somehow the 13mm box end got too close to my bench grinder a few decades ago.

I also have an S-shaped metric set from Harbor Freight too.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Front nut removal on a carburetor Reply with quote

busman78 wrote:

Top is a unmarked copy of the Hazet 4561.

[img]

This is my favorite wrench in the world for getting heat exchangers off with the engine still in the car, after using 13mm nuts because I'm too damn stubborn to try the 12mm or 11mm offerings. It's one of my few "lifeboat" tools that I take with me when I can't take my tool box to a job.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: