Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Polished alloys - Cleaning and protection
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blasted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:53 am    Post subject: Polished alloys - Cleaning and protection Reply with quote

Hi there,

I just bought some new polished alloy fuchs and I've got a couple of questions and I can't seem to find a clear answer.

Before I put them on I want to get them gleaming, are there any recommendations on what to use?

Also, is there anything else I need to do to them, do I just give them a shine and put them on or am I supposed to protect them somehow? I would hate to ruin them straight away.

Thanks
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: Polished alloys - Cleaning and protection Reply with quote

For "gleaming"... maybe send them to a wheel polisher.
But if they're new... they may be polished fairly well as-is... hard to say without pics.

You can buy a bottle of aluminum polish & go at it with a soft cloth yourself. You may be happy with the result.

Protection... give them a periodic rub with car wax.
Providing a barrier between the aluminum & air/water will increase the time between polishing intervals.
You'll have to give them a periodic polish... aluminum doesn't stay lustrous forever.

Hand polishing takes a while. There are products you can buy & affix into an electric hand drill to make the polishing process faster. Check out eBay.
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Polished alloys - Cleaning and protection Reply with quote

I never tried it but for protection was going to suggest you try some ZoopSeal. It looks like it's been replaced with a newer product. I've never used it either but maybe you could try some of this stuff? Cool
https://www.svtperformance.com/forums/threads/zoop-seal-is-no-more.750729/

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Polished alloys - Cleaning and protection Reply with quote

I'm also curious to find out about a protective layer for the aluminum, but haven't found a lasting product yet.
So for now therefore the unfortunate drill =
step 1: polish>eat>sleep>polish
setp 2: repeat step 1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
luftkuhlers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Polished alloys - Cleaning and protection Reply with quote

for protection i've tested Legend from Liquid Glass..
seems to work very fine..

they are easy to clean now and still shine brightly after several weeks..
but not longer tested yet..

works also very good on the windshield..
Blasted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Polished alloys - Cleaning and protection Reply with quote

OP here,

Thanks for the input guys. As for polish a few people seem to recommend Mothers Mag & Aluminium Polish, I shall be giving it a go.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Polished alloys - Cleaning and protection Reply with quote

I had mine anodized at Al Reeds. Almost zero maintenance. As reccomended by Diane, about once a year I smear Vaseline on and wipe off. They are not quite as shiny as polished, its a little different look.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: