Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

BRM and adapters?
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: BRM and adapters? Reply with quote

Planning on purchasing the 17" BRMs for my wife's lowered 67 SplitBus which will fit directly on the stock widefive drums. However I'm planning to convert to Porsche 944 disc brakes this winter...the following is what the fronts will look like:

http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/8457/postho4.jpg

I will be using the Porsche bolt pattern to widefive adapters from Wolfgang Int. that are about 7/16" thick. Unfortunately here in NC I cannot just go to a VW performance shop and ask to see a BRM wheel so I'm hoping someone here can help. My question is will a BRM when bolted to the adapter hit the Porsche studs/lugs which are holding the adapter to the Porsche 944 hub? The Porsche studs will protrude well past the adapters & I don't know if the back side of a BRM is recessed in any way to clear the Porsche studs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bjoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think you'll be fine, because its recessed back there a bit... but i'll try to remember to pop off one of mine this weekend and take a shot of the back...
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bjoy wrote:
i think you'll be fine, because its recessed back there a bit... but i'll try to remember to pop off one of mine this weekend and take a shot of the back...

Thanks, bjoy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bjoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's a few shots of the inside of the rim (17 inch BRMs from CIP1) in 5X205 bolt pattern... not sure how to gauge where the bolts from the 944 brakes will stick out and possibly hit the rim, of if they'll be inside of the round recessed part of the center of the rim....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Porsche lug pattern(130mm) is on a 5-1/8" circle which according to your last pix the Porsche studs/nuts should fit inside the recessed area of the BRMs.
I think I will be ordering a set next week.

Thanks again
bjoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool, good luck...
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: BRM and adapters? Reply with quote

The 17" BRMs with Porsche to wide-5 adapters worked perfect on my wife's bus now I'm looking at another scenario! Just purchased a 73 Thing sitting on a 67 Ghia chassis that has the 4x130 disc/drum. The previous owner has installed wide-5 adapters fitting early chrome steel wheels. I tossing these wheels and adapters in favor of:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2015751 if they become availability in the next week. If not I will run the adapters with the 17 radars or the new: http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C32%2DSS5205%2D7017%2DSB

I have the same question I posed earlier regarding the BRM on my wife's bus...will the bolts/lugs holding the wide-5 adapters interfere or prevent the 17" radars or SS wheels from seating.

Thanks
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: