Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Will the Ghia Gods strike me down?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
56Island
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject: Will the Ghia Gods strike me down? Reply with quote

So here's my question.........

I have a 1957 Ghia coupe that is very date correct but I am trying to decide what to do with it. The good is that The body, pan, engine, trans, front beam, gauges, wheels and even the wheel trim rings are all dated together.
The bad is the body has a good amount of rust. The pans, heater channels, heat risers, spare wheel area, battery area and quarter panels are rusted and there is some rust on the door bottoms. The interior is mostly gone also.
While I am not new to working on and restoring classic VW's have just completed a ground up restoration of my 1956 beetle it is a hobby for me. I cannot seem to justify spending more than the car would ultimately be worth to restore it.

So I guess my question is should I just sell it on and keep it all together or should I part it out and help other early Ghia owners complete their restorations?
Thanks for your input-Bryant
VWSTORECHICK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Will the Ghia Gods strike me down? Reply with quote

How bad is the nose?That is the hardest and most expensive to fix rust -wise..Lowlight values are only gonna go up up up, I wouldnt cut it up unless it is rotted beyond belief. If it is too much of a project for you to get into, keep it intact and pass it on for resto. Or mothball it in a barn and see how much it brings in 10 years. Dennis
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
56Island
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Will the Ghia Gods strike me down? Reply with quote

Nose is good and other than the rust in the spots I mentioned the body is pretty good. I'll post some pics when it stops raining here so people can get a better idea of exactly what I'm talking about.

The only reason I'm even considering the idea is I only have so much space to work with. I have a large garage but it's not enough space to park my 56 beetle, the Ghia and leave me space to work on another project. I have come across several other projects that I have passed on because I lacked the space.
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Will the Ghia Gods strike me down? Reply with quote

I say to sell it to someone else as a project rather than parting it out - the areas you mentioned are not unusual to need replacing during a resto
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Will the Ghia Gods strike me down? Reply with quote

If you can't justify the final cost (which is perfectly acceptable I wish more people would go into projects with their eyes open) of the finished car I say pass it along to someone who loves early Ghias and can justify the cost. Since the car is so intact and correct it would be a shame to carve it up or part it out. Numbers matching cars are getting near impossible to find. If this is one I personally would try and keep it all together.

brad
Exaktaphile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Will the Ghia Gods strike me down? Reply with quote

If it's the car in your gallery, there's people that would leave it "patina", weld in some angle iron for support, and start driving.

It might cost more to repair than the car is worth right this minute but the finished car will escalate in value quite a bit faster than a rolling project.

The restoration would be a good "trickle" project that takes several years and spreads the cost/time out so you don't have to live in a van down by the river. Smile
trelms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Will the Ghia Gods strike me down? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Yeah if this is yours. Get it running and drive it everywhere. Some one will by it from you on the street.
56Island
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Will the Ghia Gods strike me down? Reply with quote

Yep, that's the old girl.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Will the Ghia Gods strike me down? Reply with quote

I like it!
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
sancho58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Will the Ghia Gods strike me down? Reply with quote

What's the Vin Number/ Month 1957 ?
56Island
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Will the Ghia Gods strike me down? Reply with quote

I think it puts it somewhere like April/May of 1957
One neat thing is it has the 3-in-1 fuel/oil/amp gauge.
In my readings on this site the concessions is that started in the 1958 model year but the back side of the dash does not appear to be cut so I'm assuming it came from the factory equipped with it.
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: Will the Ghia Gods strike me down? Reply with quote

56Island wrote:
I think it puts it somewhere like April/May of 1957
One neat thing is it has the 3-in-1 fuel/oil/amp gauge.
In my readings on this site the concessions is that started in the 1958 model year but the back side of the dash does not appear to be cut so I'm assuming it came from the factory equipped with it.

Introduction of a fuel gauge in the dash from 16th Sept 57...so would possibly be a dealer modification at the request of the new owner.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Will the Ghia Gods strike me down? Reply with quote

I had a 57 Ghia I bought for $35 because the owner thought they blew the trans as it wouldn't move in any gear forward or reverse, I towed it home and found out it was just the rear brake drum has the splines stripped out, $10 and I drove it anywhere for 7 years and gave it to my old girl friend. Miss the good old days. It had the 3 in 1 center gage too.
56Island
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Will the Ghia Gods strike me down? Reply with quote

As promised here are some more pictures....

56Island
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Will the Ghia Gods strike me down? Reply with quote

Rockers.....

56Island
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Will the Ghia Gods strike me down? Reply with quote

Floors......

56Island
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Will the Ghia Gods strike me down? Reply with quote

Interior, or what's left of it.....

[/url]
crazy tarzan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Will the Ghia Gods strike me down? Reply with quote

I'd fix it. But I like a challenge...

I wouldn't part the car out. Sell it as a whole if you don't want to invest the time into it.

The early low lights are getting harder to find. Someone would take it on if you're not wanting to.

Yours has a lot of original stuff that's hard to find. I'm picking up a '58 this weekend that is missing a ton of stuff, but still worth it (IMHO).
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Will the Ghia Gods strike me down? Reply with quote

I agree w/ Tarzan, Its gonna need a lot of rust repair, most do. But its nice. Plenty of ghia lovers are doing way more repair$ on later cars with less value once complete. Keep it til you have the time and $$ or sell it to someone ready.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Will the Ghia Gods strike me down? Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
I agree w/ Tarzan, Its gonna need a lot of rust repair, most do. But its nice. Plenty of ghia lovers are doing way more repair$ on later cars with less value once complete. Keep it til you have the time and $$ or sell it to someone ready.

I agree with Darrel. I'm one of those "ghia lovers ... doing way more repair$ on later cars...". I see damage in the same places my '68 Ghia had. My wife's comment: "We did more work than this." My bank account and my marriage survived.

There is a non-pecuniary value in finishing a project like yours. Satisfaction. Pride. The pleasure of driving a car your own hands have put together.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: