Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!'
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 71, 72, 73  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

cliveawn wrote:
Great bus and great trips you guys take! I myself drove down to Croatia last summer with my wife and 2 kids.Epic trip.
You should look into making an awning like mine,works well and takes a few minutes to set up.It folds and fits under the rear cushion.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Wow! That must have been an awesome trip! Four people in the bus is very impressive too, it must have been stuffed full! I'd love to see your packing list Shocked ! We have two small hammocks in ours, but it gets cramped enough in ours with just us and the cat!
We used to carry an awning just like yours that was homemade and came with the bus. We only ever used it if it was really hot weather and we were staying somewhere for more than one night. Shona loves to sit in the sun, so doesn't need the shade, and in Scotland most of the time it is too cold, or too windy, or too wet to use it, so we don't carry it now.
We've done the drive to Southern Europe at least four times in the Kombi now and it is the best kind of holiday but if you're short of time there's not much fun in hammering down the Autobahn for 300miles in a day. This trip is great, as there isn't too much driving and we are really enjoying the slow pace.
Thanks for the post, and wishing you many more happy family trips!

Stop dead photo links! Post photos to The Samba Gallery!
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Ah, cliveawn, I found your trip thread and remembered reading it at the time, great trip!

1970fun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

mcdonaldneal wrote:
1970fun wrote:
Looking at the pics it makes me feel to load up the bus and go on a roadtrip too Wink

I could tell you where the Fire Truck is Harry, and you could go and rescue it Very Happy!

No thanks Phil, i have more than enough work on my hands...

Quote:
we are being bitten to death by insects

Don't say that i didn't warn you Wink altough during the day you should be fine, looks like the same campspot we used a few years ago.
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

There was a very slight concern today. When we started up this morning the oil pressure gauge took a little longer to come up to pressure, maybe five seconds from starting the engine, and the oil pressure warning light took a second or two to go out. Then, after a couple of hours of stop/start driving, ending with 20min at 65mph the oil light started flickering.
Now, I have a 'save my bus' dipstick that is designed to do that when the temp hits 225-235F and that is where my temp gauge was sitting (110-115deg C). The pressure gauge came up to 20 with some revs and the light stayed on.
After we stopped at the campsite I checked the oil level and it was at the Low mark on the dipstick, so I added 500ml/a pint which brought it up to just under the High mark.
Im sure this is a pattern I've seen before, but I have read that the oil level shouldn't have that much effect on the engine temp. Obviously, I'll keep an eye on it but can anyone think of a more worrying cause?
Valve clearances, dwell, timing and mixture were all good before the trip and the bus is driving as smoothly as before. Nothing stuck in the fan.

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

On a lighter note Very Happy !
Medo, the cat, got a bit overexcited last night with the tiny midges in the bus and tried to follow one of them out of the skylight Shocked ! After I had extracted her claws from the rubber seal she calmed down. She was a bit less keen on chasing after the ducks on the campsite. I don't think she had ever seen anything so strange, and she sat and watched for ages, completely bewildered.

Today's drive took us over some very long stretches of cobbled country road. Not quite Paris-Roubaix but enough to slow us down to 40mph or so. We've arrived at another pretty site, on Harry's advice, just outside Groningen, a bustling University Town which we reached via a lovely walk through the town park, which is more like a botanical garden. Tomorrow is a public holiday (ascension?) so we stocked up on groceries and I cooked a chicken curry in the bus. It was cool outside, so we had the chance to set up the Dormobile table. Cool Cool !

1970fun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Phil we talked about it on sunday, your oil weight it might be to low with these temperatures?
Or try to disconect the save my bus dipstick and hook it up normally, it could be a bad connection, better check them all.
And keep the oil topped up!
If it's more trouble you could contact:

Wagenfolks
Tussendiepen 49
9206 AB Drachten
0031 512 - 354 555

It's 42 km from where you are on your way to the dam.

Here is a map with all the aircooled company's in Holland.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1lp30L5yx...42&z=7
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

1970fun wrote:
Phil we talked about it on sunday, your oil weight it might be to low with these temperatures?
Or try to disconect the save my bus dipstick and hook it up normally, it could be a bad connection, better check them all.
And keep the oil topped up!
If it's more trouble you could contact:

Wagenfolks
Tussendiepen 49
9206 AB Drachten
0031 512 - 354 555

It's 42 km from where you are on your way to the dam.

Here is a map with all the aircooled company's in Holland.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1lp30L5yx...42&z=7

Cool. Thanks for the link Harry, and you could be right. Im embarrassed to say, the oil that's in at the moment is a mixture of odds and ends of oil I had lying around, so Lord knows what weight it is!
I'll keep topped up and post any progress.

cliveawn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

I would stick in some new proper oil and see what happens,5 minute job to change the oil...

Green 78 Westfalia Helsinki,

2056 with 41 x 34 valves,ported heads
Fully balanced
8,5:1CR
JPM Custom made cam
JPM 7075 dual taper pushrods
IDF 40's with 28mm venturi's
Python CSP 42mm exhaust.
115 HP

Daily driver 2017 Volvo V60 D5 hybrid
Rica stage 2 tune 345hp.

''Funny thing about common sense is that its not very common''

Seismic gun mechanic
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 12:44 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

No real update, just a pic of our breakfast setup. Towels drying on the 'roo bars, coffee on the stove and some morning sun. Bliss.

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

It's been a few days since we've had WiFi but I'm pleased to say everything's going well. The engine hasn't blown up, although prolonged driving today at 90deg plus has seen the dipstick sensor flickering!
We are still having a tremendous time, and I will post reports and photos of our adventures soon.
In the meantime, if I can get the WiFi in this cafe/cheese shop to load a pic, I'll post one. If not, not!...

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 12:45 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

From Groningen we headed up to a dead flat nature reserve on the far North coast. The wind had shifted to the North and we were getting a very chilly breeze, despite the sunshine! At Oostmahorn harbour we parked next to a beautiful Citroen DS, one of my favourite cars! The village had the look of an old fishing harbour but seemed to have been converted into a holiday village. Cute but not much character. We had a coffee and moved on.
We've managed to have nearly all of our meals in the Kombi and a good tip for lunch is to find an old church, which will early always have an empty car park where you can boil a kettle and rustle up a salad and some bread and Dutch cheese!
There are so many waterways and canals that you have to factor in waiting for a few to let a stream of boats through!

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 1:06 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

VW Harry had warned us that a perfect storm was brewing; the Ascension day holiday, a long weekend and a perfect weather forecast for sun and unseasonably hot weather. It would mean that finding any camping spots in the popular coastal spots was going to be difficult. We had been recommended Hinderloopen on the man-made inland sea called the IJsselmeer. We bypassed the biggest campsite, got a sorry headshake at the next two and then rang three others, which were all full. Starting to get a bit despondent, we headed inland and stopped by chance at another site, which was also full, but said we could park in his field and use the campsite facilities, he was quite apologetic that a major international junior sailing regatta was being held in the already popular kite-surfing resort. We were just happy to have somewhere to sleep!
Luckily, we could survive without electricity. The fridge works a treat on butane gas and the cooker kept us supplied with hot water. We managed to fit in two rides on the tandem that evening, one to the beach and the local town, Workum, and one to see the sun set at 9:45 over the meadows that the farmers are paid to keep as grass for the many, many geese and other wildfowl and seabirds.
What a result!

Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 2:10 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Sounds like your trip continues to go well!

You should seriously consider an oil and filter chamge. It is my opinion that these engines operate best with the correct viscosity oil for the operating conditions. A change in pressure and temperature could easily be effected by mixed viscosities and low levels.

Your comment about "odds and ends" oil mixing causes me concern.

Furthering my opinion without factual reference: If the oil level is low, then it seems reasonable to assume the oil bath is worked at a shorter time interval through the oil cooler, as this same oil is heated sooner by working in the engine more frequently too. There is not enough oil sump volume to reduce the volume and frequency of useage if you keep it low. One quart low is about 20%, right? So it would likely get hotter and thinner sooner.

There may be a more coherent way to say that. Best I can do right now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

mcdonaldneal wrote:
At Oostmahorn harbour we parked next to a beautiful Citroen DS, one of my favourite cars!

That is lovely, I wish there were more of them in SoCal. I've seen more SMs than DSs here.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Sidebar ...I am always amazed how tolerant people in Europe are about people pulling over and camping, meanwhile in the US, where we have more land that we know what to do with, you are much more likely to be hassled
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Sidebar ...I am always amazed how tolerant people in Europe are about people pulling over and camping, meanwhile in the US, where we have more land that we know what to do with, you are much more likely to be hassled

X2! It's craziness.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

^That all depends on your geographic location. Camping just about anywhere is very tolerated where I am located.

Phil, thanks for sharing your adventure and posting all those awesome photos!
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
^That all depends on your geographic location. Camping just about anywhere is very tolerated where I am located.

Phil, thanks for sharing your adventure and posting all those awesome photos!

Thanks richparker, you're very welcome.
You're right about it depending on location. It is actually the same here in Europe. There are spots where you might be moved on, and there are some areas where it seems to be tolerated or encouraged. The North-West of Scotland, for instance, has few formal campsites but free camping is very common. The main problem is that it is difficult to know what is the likely view wherever you happen to be at the time!

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
Sounds like your trip continues to go well!

You should seriously consider an oil and filter chamge. It is my opinion that these engines operate best with the correct viscosity oil for the operating conditions. A change in pressure and temperature could easily be effected by mixed viscosities and low levels.

Your comment about "odds and ends" oil mixing causes me concern.

Furthering my opinion without factual reference: If the oil level is low, then it seems reasonable to assume the oil bath is worked at a shorter time interval through the oil cooler, as this same oil is heated sooner by working in the engine more frequently too. There is not enough oil sump volume to reduce the volume and frequency of useage if you keep it low. One quart low is about 20%, right? So it would likely get hotter and thinner sooner.

There may be a more coherent way to say that. Best I can do right now.

You're right, and I agree! My oil 'choice' maybe seems worse than it is. It was all originally destined for an ACVW engine, but was of different weights, so you could be right about viscosity. I plan to change soon!
It does surprise me how seemingly small things can have a big effect on the engine temp, speed, gradient, load, wind direction, length of time driving, and my current 'oil' prabably isnt helping! It's a bit like the heating system, perfect one minute and then change direction by a few degrees and the cabin temp drops like a stone.

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 1:51 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Given the trouble we had had finding a campsite the day before we weren't sure what was the best next step in our tour plan. We wanted to visit the North Holland coast, which has miles of fine, golden, sandy beaches. We rang a handful of sites which were all full (by now, Friday of the long weekend, and these beaches are an hour or so from Amsterdam!) I suggested driving to a point on the coast that had a few sites on the map and trying there.
First though, the tandem was still ready to go, so we had a morning ride, along the raised dykes above the fields to Hinderloopen (our original destination!) The church with the sorry looking Vanagon outside was built in 1658. I couldn't identify the 1920's car but it was part of a Friesland classic car tour, along with the Beetle and the Golf convertibles. All very happy to smile and wave!
I've justified the other pics for the Samba gallery as they have my yellow Bay T shirt clearly displayed!
Today's picturesque lunch stop was the old Harbour of Makkum, just before you join the amazing 20mile sea dyke that separates the IJsselmeer from the North Sea.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 71, 72, 73  Next
Jump to:
Page 34 of 73

Jump to: