Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil Switch
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MeeferMadness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject: Oil Switch Reply with quote

Just received a screw top oil switch from Kaefer-Nostalgie. My question is that this switch comes with straight threads and in reading the Bentley manual the oil pressures switches from the factory use a tapered thread. With the case and the switch both having straight threads I cannot get the switch to seal. The case is machined flat around the oil switch, but not large enough to seat the switch on.
Suggestions as to how to seal or should I continue the search for a screw top tapered thread switch??
Thanks
Bruce
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Switch Reply with quote

Try to fit a copper, aluminum or nylon sealing washer. As a last resort red loctite on the last few threads.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Switch Reply with quote

MeeferMadness wrote:
Just received a screw top oil switch from Kaefer-Nostalgie.
Thanks
Bruce

What did they say when you contacted them?

http://www.kaefer-nostalgie.com/contact

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MeeferMadness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Switch Reply with quote

Not trying to trash Kafer-Nostalgie! I have contacted them and they say there has been no issues reported on the switches and have offered a refund. What I am trying to learn is whether I missed something. I cannot see how to tighten or seal the switch and was wondering if others ran into this issue and if they did how did they seal the switch.
Bruce
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Switch Reply with quote

Put a thread sealer on the threads...
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Switch Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
Put a thread sealer on the threads...

The switch body needs to make a good electrical connection to case for the switch to work.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MeeferMadness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Switch Reply with quote

So are you saying to just use thread sealer and tighten the switch against the block? Seems like this would be prone to future leaking.
Bruce
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Switch Reply with quote

If the thread sealer is placed neatly there shouldn't be an issue. In my younger/less experienced days I even used thread tape with no issues. The edges of the threads will make sufficient contact.

I use thread sealant even on the tapered sensors.

Just be neat, don't slop it on there or cover the passageway
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Switch Reply with quote

Apply thread sealant to the threads and tighten like normal. If applied properly it will not leak

MeeferMadness wrote:
So are you saying to just use thread sealer and tighten the switch against the block? Seems like this would be prone to future leaking.
Bruce
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Switch Reply with quote

Curious how you determined the switch has straight threads?
MeeferMadness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Switch Reply with quote

I believe it has straight threads by first threading the switch into the block. It would not tighten as it was screwed into the block as a tapered thread would. Also by visually inspecting the threads and seeing they have no taper to them
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Switch Reply with quote

Ok. Sucks to see him selling subpar product
Ovally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Switch Reply with quote

I suppose this is the oil pressure switch you need.
Looks to me that the threads are tapered (conical).

https://www.thesamba.com/vw//classifieds/detail.php?id=2053598

Regards.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Switch Reply with quote

Post a picture of your switch, this company typically does not sell subpar parts.

Once again, thread sealer will work
MeeferMadness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Switch Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Switch Reply with quote

When you install that switch you might have more than the straight thread problem to deal with. Look at the switch for sale in the ad mentioned above. Notice how the body of it is rounded at the thread end? That helps the switch clear the right side of the case so that the threads can go in deeper. You might have case clearance issues because that feature seems to be lacking on yours.
MeeferMadness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Switch Reply with quote

Good point! That is exactly what I am running in to. It was hard enough to spend $45 on the switch I have, the ones in the ad are going for $75 and are not even the correct date. Not sure what I will do. Thanks for all your input....love the Samba!
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Switch Reply with quote

I feel bad for my comments above, I noticed the flat surface in their ad versus the taper of the original switch.

The "nut" portion must be digging into you case badly. The late model "slip-clip" versions do the same.

I wanted the "slip clip" version on my 36hp engine for other reasons, to get around this I installed an extension fitting to get the switch away from the case.

If you can get the clearance, it will seal
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: