Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

This doesn't look right to me 😐
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dallasguy1303S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: This doesn't look right to me 😐 Reply with quote

My engine was giving me problems to the point it died. I'm in the process of dismantling and cleaning what I can to rebuild it, when I got to the #3 and 4 pistons this is what I found. Not to mention that the cylinder head bolts were loose. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am not an expert.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: This doesn't look right to me 😐 Reply with quote

Looks like fairly new engine to me, Loose head nuts usually mean it's been over heated. Did you notice anything say maybe pinging under load? VWs don't like too much heat. Clean off carbon on top of piston, look for a number those look like bigger cylinders, maybe 92s ? Could just be angle of camera.Running stock fan shroud and thermostat?
Dallasguy1303S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: This doesn't look right to me 😐 Reply with quote

It would backfire and would not hold compression while driving, it would idle ok, but would not idle high. I have cleaned the pistons and this picture has the numbers on it. All 4 pistons have the same numbers, but they all had oil on the valve side of the piston. Is that normal?
DeathTrap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: This doesn't look right to me 😐 Reply with quote

Dallasguy1303S wrote:
It would backfire and would not hold compression while driving, it would idle ok, but would not idle high. I have cleaned the pistons and this picture has the numbers on it. All 4 pistons have the same numbers, but they all had oil on the valve side of the piston. Is that normal?

Everything said is abnormal. Analyze, diagnose and repair as required.
hey one clean piston out of 4?
hold compression while driving?
hows the heads?
Backfire? like stalling when pushing the gas? exploding out the carb? Or just banging out the back?
FeelthySanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: This doesn't look right to me 😐 Reply with quote

Could you post pics of each cylinder head, & close-ups of the 4 chambers?
Enough clue..Whats that mean?
OldIronSpine wrote:
I'm not sure how compression works.
Turbos don't produce torque, they produce HP. Instead of torque.
The real problem with NA engines is you don't hear the nice whine of the turbo as it spools up.
Before I commit, I'm going to do more research because I don't really know what piston rings are.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dallasguy1303S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: This doesn't look right to me 😐 Reply with quote

I cleaned all 4 pistons, they don't have any damage I can see. When driving the car would sputter and seem like it wasn't gating any power. I did find upon teardown that the #3 & #4 cylinder heads were loose on the #4 side and the valves were clicking really bad. Do I need to do a valve job before I put it back together? Also the crank pulley is wobbling and there is a squeaking noise in the engine. What can be causing that?
FeelthySanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: This doesn't look right to me 😐 Reply with quote

Dallasguy1303S wrote:
Also the crank pulley is wobbling and there is a squeaking noise in the engine. What can be causing that?

Might be time for some flowers: have to advise splitting the case & investigating what component failure is causing pulley to wobble.
Suspect at least a line-bore is due, & perhaps thrust-cut.
A wise rebuild would include case savers as well.
Enough clue..Whats that mean?
OldIronSpine wrote:
I'm not sure how compression works.
Turbos don't produce torque, they produce HP. Instead of torque.
The real problem with NA engines is you don't hear the nice whine of the turbo as it spools up.
Before I commit, I'm going to do more research because I don't really know what piston rings are.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DeathTrap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: This doesn't look right to me 😐 Reply with quote

I don't see any indication of head leakage on what is shown.

Perhaps he's got an 009 and just can't make it run.

That and some exhaust leaks.

I say re assemble and flog it. Flog it like a weedeater. A true diagnostic skill. To pinpoint the areas that might need attention.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: This doesn't look right to me 😐 Reply with quote

I was gonna suggest reading a book maybe Tom Wilson or even Muir but that would go over like a fart in church.
Dallasguy1303S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: This doesn't look right to me 😐 Reply with quote

It does have an 009. I believe the carb I had for it was impossible to jet correctly as it was a 32 36 progressive. I'm going to get a 34 pict 3 and see if that will work better. But I'm still back to the crank pulley wobble. I don't see anything broken inside the case after taking the pistons off. Right now I'm at a loss.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: This doesn't look right to me 😐 Reply with quote

Is the crank pulley bent? Typically happens when removed with two screw drivers and a wiggling action. I would purchase a new crank pulley and see what happens.

To avoid damaging the new pulley in the future, use a puller. You don't want to have to keep buying pulleys!
Dallasguy1303S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: This doesn't look right to me 😐 Reply with quote

I've never removed the pulley. I'm working on getting a flywheel lock and a crank puller tool. I should know more when I get those. Is it possible to split the case without removing the flywheel or crank pulley?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: