Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

40hp Hi-po vintage
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hsosa1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject: 40hp Hi-po vintage Reply with quote

Im working on building a 40hp vintage style okrasa engine except without putting in the big dollars. Where can I find good heater boxes. Im also going to do a old schol fram oil filter on the shroud . any info ou there or suggestions. I currently have a 40hp it was rebuilt a few years back. currently have a cooling problem . the engine turns off. when hot anyhow Im planning at hooking up the okrasa style oil cooling system and the fram oil filter . also maybe some new valve empi covers. thanks
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hsosa1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone out there have any info on my cooling problem?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DaveM
Mad Samba Scientist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okrasa equals big dollars, period.

Browse through some of the catalogs I have posted on my web site and look at what was available for the 40hp.
http://www.amayesing.com/oldvwlit.htm

Do realize that its difficult to get a whole bunch of power out of a 40hp.

good luck
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go with the 83mm big bore kit, get the heads done, a decent exhaust and that's about the best bang for the buck.

http://wolfgangint.com/SubPages/SinglePartDisplay....ioQNB3A50C
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hsosa1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

right I know . I just want the vintage look you know . i understand its not a lot of power . its a stock 62 convert with white walls.. not slammed with alloys. Ok will check the site. thanks for the info
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A long, long time ago I had a completely worn out '63 bug with a 40 horse. Compression was below 90 in all 4. There was a hill on I-8 that I would start out at the bottom of the hill indicating 75 mph and go over the top at 50 mph.
I put in the 83mm kit (then made by Repco in Australia) which took it to 1385cc, had the heads rebuilt, put on a cheap extractor exhaust, and rebuilt the 28 PICT. Other than the exhaust everything looked completely stock. After the work I could start out that same hill at 50 mph and go over the top at 75 mph. And my fuel economy increased by 5 mpg. What a difference.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can run the 83 mm kit and put in a 69mm crank. You'll need to machine both sides of the rods and run large barrel spacers.
How to hot rod vw engines shows you how to do it.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Matthew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 7:06 pm    Post subject: cooling problems Reply with quote

hsosa1 wrote:
anyone out there have any info on my cooling problem?

Do you have all of the factory sheetmetal installed? Engine compartment seal installed? The compartment should be air tight around the engine so that all of the cooling air comes from above and not from below the engine. If the fan is able to pull hot air from under the engine, it will run hot. What is your ignition timing at full advance?
hsosa1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

back again . i have all sheet metal except for the heater boxes. I solved the heating problem . I adjusted the valves. and changed the oil. Now I have a carb problem. I have a 30 pict brosol carb off the shelf new. the botom of the return is leaking gas. I found the problem yesterday morning. I heard a sucking sound from the carb. This morning I found that the carb arm was leaking gas. crappy brosol carb. Now Im looking for the guy on samba who sells rebuilt german carbs. if anyone can point me in the right direction. thanks . Im planning on adding a 010 distributor . okrasa style oil system with Nos fram filter and I need stock heater boxes anyone out there I will buy them thanks
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hsosa1 wrote:
Now Im looking for the guy on samba who sells rebuilt german carbs.

You're looking for Richard Carey.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=64882
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 6:56 am    Post subject: really? Reply with quote

We want to eat at a fine restaurant, but we do not want to pay. Does this make sense?

When I use to work for a shop many moons ago, there was this customer that brought all his new parts and never really ordered it through the shop. We had good prices and very tiny mark up because it had to be delivered to us. Anyway....it was like eating at a restaurant and bringing all your vegetables and meat to get cooked. Laughing Funny.

anyway...no offense to anyone. But we have to be realistic too. If you want to play with the Vintage parts that are so rare, expect to pay big bucks for them.

This is most of the reason we have aftermarket parts because it got really expensive.

Good luck though.
hsosa1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your right. about the money deal. as for the carb. the guys that restored the car replaced the stock rebuilt carb that I had . although I didnt know how crappy the brosol carbs are until now. thanks for the help.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: