Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1978 vw - Fuel Pump replacement... wire terminals?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chift
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject: 1978 vw - Fuel Pump replacement... wire terminals? Reply with quote

Hey folks,

Purchased a replacement fuel pump (entire fuel system was full of sludge, so i'm replacing everything) from cip1.ca. It's the genuine BOS-0-580-463-016 fuel pump (got it on sale.. yeah!).

The pump comes with wire terminals instead of spade terminals. Do people cut the wire and crimp the new terminal? Or are people adding something to the post on the pump?

I'm concerned the rubber covers won't fit over if I cut the old spade connector off the wire and crimp the new connector on.

Thoughts?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 vw - Fuel Pump replacement... wire terminals? Reply with quote

sgkent bitched about that too

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=186591&start=320

(last page if it didn't post correctly)

I sent a link to the terminals he needed. the boots will fit fine with the terminals I posted there. they will be a bit off center, but seal just fine

edit

I see they changed the link in my reply

https://terminalscheap.com/pc1l25005lr-single-male...-insulated

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 vw - Fuel Pump replacement... wire terminals? Reply with quote

Careful with the posts on the new one the threads are very easy to strip.

My original boots were trashed so I made 3 inch adapter from the ring terminal to the spade and used the L shaped boots that came with the new pump.

Earl Grey
'87 GoWesty 2.2 Westfalia

Marsha Mellow
'00 Eurovan VR6 Full Camper
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 vw - Fuel Pump replacement... wire terminals? Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

Thanks for sourcing these! I'm going to keep a few spares… I can't count how many times I shed a tear chopping some beautiful OG crimps off of a great bus to crimp some plastic rings on. Oh wait, yeah I can, KentPS's bus last month! Laughing

Gotta grab a few now!
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 vw - Fuel Pump replacement... wire terminals? Reply with quote

sadly, I have become the terminal master. too many wiring harness builds/repairs. I probably have 200+hours looking for terminal ends in the last 5 years....

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 vw - Fuel Pump replacement... wire terminals? Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
sadly, I have become the terminal master. too many wiring harness builds/repairs. I probably have 200+hours looking for terminal ends in the last 5 years....

Between you and Telford, I'm set for life! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chift
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 vw - Fuel Pump replacement... wire terminals? Reply with quote

Thanks skills@eurocarsplus,

Quote:

Sadly it doesn't look like they ship to Canada. I'll have to send them an email.

Thanks, i'll see if I can source these from somewhere else.
chift
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 vw - Fuel Pump replacement... wire terminals? Reply with quote

BayCreamPuff wrote:
Careful with the posts on the new one the threads are very easy to strip.

My original boots were trashed so I made 3 inch adapter from the ring terminal to the spade and used the L shaped boots that came with the new pump.

Luckily my boots are in good shape. I didn't get any new boots with the pump.

Man you bus is clean underneath, I should take the time to clean mine (the previous owner had it sitting in his backyard for 5 years, I got caked on dirt)
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 vw - Fuel Pump replacement... wire terminals? Reply with quote

In a pinch, you could probably use late bug generator post insulation boots on your fuel pump. KentPS' spare spare aftermarket pump came with terminals AND boots. Huh.

BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 vw - Fuel Pump replacement... wire terminals? Reply with quote

Huh. The universal Bosch pump comes with the boots.

http://www.autohausaz.com/pn/69414

Earl Grey

Marsha Mellow
BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 vw - Fuel Pump replacement... wire terminals? Reply with quote

Autohaus also carries the OEM style with spade terminals.

http://www.autohausaz.com/pn/69469

Earl Grey

Marsha Mellow
chift
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 vw - Fuel Pump replacement... wire terminals? Reply with quote

BayCreamPuff wrote:
Huh. The universal Bosch pump comes with the boots.

http://www.autohausaz.com/pn/69414

The joy of living in Canada, there's only a couple places we can order from:

http://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BOS-0-580-463-016

Mine didn't come with the boots
chift
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 vw - Fuel Pump replacement... wire terminals? Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
In a pinch, you could probably use late bug generator post insulation boots on your fuel pump. KentPS' spare spare aftermarket pump came with terminals AND boots. Huh.

Thanks! This is good to know
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 vw - Fuel Pump replacement... wire terminals? Reply with quote

I picked up some spade connectors similar to what's on the coil, for my spare pump from my FLAPS. Not cutting off already pretty short connectors, and the boots fit ok.
More of a problem with the way the PO screwed the clamp bracket on that makes it impossible to remove without cutting the bracket. Rusty Philips head screw with some freak size square nut positioned so you can't hold it.
yellowCOwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 vw - Fuel Pump replacement... wire terminals? Reply with quote

I soldered a round connection to a short wire with a spade soldered on the other end then used heat shrink tubing over the Frakenmess.

Need to just get off my ass and get the spades with the hole in them.

'78 Westy
Currently yellow and white "Sunny"
A few other air cooled VW and Porsches over the years
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hiwaycallin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 vw - Fuel Pump replacement... wire terminals? Reply with quote

If you bend the ends of those terminals that came with the new pump 90 degrees your original boots will fit.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 vw - Fuel Pump replacement... wire terminals? Reply with quote

Thats a great price for those terminals. If you are looking for a different place and a slightly different terminal....you can get them at McMaster Carr.

Yeah....its $15 for 100 instead of $5.80...but they are Tin plated and available with a round ring so they fit better under screw nuts. I use them for ground tabs under relays as well.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: