Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Another question about engine R&R
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluebug66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Another question about engine R&R Reply with quote

I know that engine remove and install has been discussed many times, but I have a question that I can't find an answer to. I have R&R'ed my engine several times so I understand the process. I have a problem every time with getting the engine pulled away completely from the lower studs. In a shop with a vehicle lift, the car is always level and the engine is removed/installed by pulling it straight back on a jack. When doing it at home, the rear of the car is jacked up so that the transmission is tilted up at an angle. While fighting against this angle to pull the engine clear of the studs, the engine must be wiggled and tilted on the jack to clear the studs. While doing this it always seems like my engine gets hung up somewhere. It usually hangs on the engine compartment seal or the generator upper pulley. I have learned to rotate the distributor first so that the vacuum advance can does not hang. I have to drop this engine again soon because of a transmission problem. I was considering only raising the rear up to undo the things underneath and then lowering it onto jack stands at a height close to the normal level. From there I think I can pull the engine basically straight back on the floor jack until it clears and I can lower it. Then I would jack the car of the car back up high enough to roll it out from underneath. Hopefully i can avoid the problem with the lower studs this way. I am concerned that the threads could be damaged or possibly break something on the engine or transmission. Has anybody got any advice or a better way of doing this? Much thanks.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Another question about engine R&R Reply with quote

If you want the car level, try putting the front on another pair of sturdy jackstands.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Another question about engine R&R Reply with quote

You could also not raise the vehicle as much until engine is free and clean the then raise the car.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Another question about engine R&R Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
You could also not raise the vehicle as much until engine is free and clean the then raise the car.

I used to remove one rear wheel because that meant I didn't have to raise the car so much; I could slide it out the side rather than straight back, and save a few inches.
bluebug66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Another question about engine R&R Reply with quote

I have always had to slide it out the side. I am tired of messing my rubber seals up and I need to do something different. Thanks.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Another question about engine R&R Reply with quote

bluebug66 wrote:
I am concerned that the threads could be damaged or possibly break something on the engine or transmission. Has anybody got any advice or a better way of doing this? Much thanks.

Those lower engine bell housing studs are lot harder than the trans magnesium/aluminum. Your not going to hurt the threads.
Every time I remove an engine. I have the rear on the jack stands and wiggle/tilt the engine to get it out of the engine bay. It takes practice. And over time you learn all of the tricks to get it out smoothly.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Another question about engine R&R Reply with quote

I used to always remove one wheel as well. I also had two floor jacks. I would jack the car up with one jack in the center just in front of the front transmission mount and put it on jack stands high enough to remove the heater cables and lower nuts and the fuel line. I would then take the car off the jack stands and lower the car back down, but not all the way and support the engine with the second jack. Then remove all of the top side bolts, wires and cables and jack the engine up enough to slide it free of the transmission and lower it. I would then remove one of the wheels and then I would use the first jack to jack the car back up and slide the engine out the side.

My best time from start to finish was something like 12 minutes.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Another question about engine R&R Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
If you want the car level, try putting the front on another pair of sturdy jackstands.

Supporting a car on four jack stands is an iffy proposition. They will hold the weight fine but can be unstable under the right circumstances and the stands can tip and fall over. I would use good quality ramps on the front and jack stands on the rear.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Another question about engine R&R Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:
KTPhil wrote:

Supporting a car on four jack stands is an iffy proposition. They will hold the weight fine but can be unstable under the right circumstances and the stands can tip and fall over. I would use good quality ramps on the front and jack stands on the rear.

If you are worried about knocking the car off the jack stands, put the rear wheels on the ramps with the parking brake set and use the jack stands on the front. Wink

As for the original question, I pull the engine with all 4 wheels on the ground then lift up the car to pull the engine out from under it.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Another question about engine R&R Reply with quote

I'm with Q dog; I get the engine on the ground, and then I jack the back up and place the stands with the back of the car high enough that with the air filter removed (and perhaps a little tip) the engine slides out the back.
bluebug66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Another question about engine R&R Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing your methods. I am going to try it out.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Another question about engine R&R Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
As for the original question, I pull the engine with all 4 wheels on the ground then lift up the car to pull the engine out from under it.

I put the rear on jackstands, unbolt/disconnect, pull the engine out (still underneath the VW). Then I typically tilt the engine off the floor jack onto the garage floor (still under the VW). Then I use the floor jack and a block of wood to raise the rear of the VW and I drag the engine out.

I have not yet pulled a wheel to drag out using the wheel well for clearance of the fan shroud.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
bluebug66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Another question about engine R&R Reply with quote

I tried not raising the rear any higher than to put it on jack stands so I could remove the rear tires. Almost normal ride height. After I disconnected everything and unbolted the engine, I had the engine on the ground in under 30 minutes. My wife helped by watching for interferences and for once I got it out without hanging it up or tearing the rubber seals. Much better for me than jacking the car up high in the rear like the Bug Me Videos show. Thanks again for the suggestions.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: