Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Postal bus ?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject: Postal bus ? Reply with quote

Not sure if this has been posted over here at all.....?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

exotic plants
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Postal bus ? Reply with quote

Not sure if its helpful? This logo could be the same?

Thread can be found here:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=621802
Rear driver side fender.
Cash waiting.
------------------------------------------------------------
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Postal bus ? Reply with quote

I've never seen that photo of the five postal buses on the train cars. I love it. As a railroad modeler I might like to model that. Now to find 5 Bundespost high top buses in HO scale. Time to search the Brekina catalog!

Check out how the middle bus is actually straddling the two rail cars. That's a bit sketchy, I think.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Postal bus ? Reply with quote

Nah, just leave the ignition unlocked and it'll be fine! Shocked

Isn't there some guy in Sweden restoring one of these? Or other VW Factory Hightop that looks similar.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
porschebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Postal bus ? Reply with quote

71 RHD Swiss Postal Van Converted Camper. Shocked

busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Postal bus ? Reply with quote

Not two rail cars, just one long one with a pivot in the center so it will go around curves without derailing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chimneyfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Postal bus ? Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
I've never seen that photo of the five postal buses on the train cars. I love it. As a railroad modeler I might like to model that. Now to find 5 Bundespost high top buses in HO scale. Time to search the Brekina catalog!

Check out how the middle bus is actually straddling the two rail cars. That's a bit sketchy, I think.

HO scale is 1:87 yes? If so, see here:

http://shop.bulli.org/de/vw-t2a-kastenwagen-hochdach-deutsche-bundespost

http://shop.bulli.org/de/vw-t2a-kastenwagen-hochdach-deutsche-bundespost-das-postpaket

If you build it, we want pictures!
1972 T2 Camper (Devon), 1988 Golf, 1972 Type 1, 1984 Polo, 1972 T2 Camper (Danbury)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Postal bus ? Reply with quote

busman78 wrote:
Not two rail cars, just one long one with a pivot in the center so it will go around curves without derailing.

Well, yeah, it is what one could call one articulated "car". But the point is that it is spanning an articulated joint, meaning that at least some of the wheels are moving as the rail car negotiates curves in the track. I suppose this could work if the parking brake were secured and the bus is in gear, so that the front wheels are free to turn. I would worry that it could work its way off, but I expect they had something figured out.

Just stuck me as odd.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Postal bus ? Reply with quote

Yea, but nowhere near as odd as how the Chevy Vega was shipped by rail.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Postal bus ? Reply with quote

busman78 wrote:

Clever! The cars were specially designed to be transported nose-down, including oil pan baffles, special battery caps, angled windhield washer bottles, and special tie-downs on the frames.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing

Last edited by vwwestyman on Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:31 am; edited 1 time in total
chimneyfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Postal bus ? Reply with quote

I would guess they used something similar in engineering it to a gangway connection: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gangway_connection
1972 T2 Camper (Devon), 1988 Golf, 1972 Type 1, 1984 Polo, 1972 T2 Camper (Danbury)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Postal bus ? Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
busman78 wrote:

Clever! The cars were specially designed to be transported nose-down, including oil pan baffles, special battery caps, angled windhield washer bottles, and special tie-downs on the frames.

Learned something new today.
Thank you
Tcash
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Postal bus ? Reply with quote

Somewhere I have a picture (likely on film) of a lot full of Mexican postal vehicles, must have been around 30 white Combis on the lot.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: