Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bonnet release on a type 3
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arrowgb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Bonnet release on a type 3 Reply with quote

Hi all.

I am hoping you can help. I need to adjust the bonnet release cable as at the moment it takes 2 people to open it.

Does anyone have any tips please

Thanks

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Bonnet release on a type 3 Reply with quote

I loosened the bolts holding the mechanism under the lid and slid it over to the edge of it's adjustment. It only slid about 1/8" but my frunk lid opens a lot better now. Use axle grease on the mechanism not WD40 etc.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Arrowgb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Bonnet release on a type 3 Reply with quote

Thanks,

Will try that.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Bonnet release on a type 3 Reply with quote

I am more familiar with the late mechanism, but doesn't the early version also use the cone-shaped head with the sliding collar above it to latch? (that sounds bad, I know).

If so, the cable may not be the issue, but rather the pin adjustment and maybe wear/burrs in the catch on the body.

Cleaning both parts, smoothing any burrs, and lubing it with a light grease may do wonders.

Be careful, though... if you break the cable, you can have a helluva time getting the hood open. Adjusting the pin to be too tight can also jam it and then you are up a creek.

I've not had to do this, but there are threads about jammed hoods. Some have run a second flexible cable to the catch actuating arm and threading it through the hole in the front apron for the shift rod, after taking the spare and spare well out. Once it's safely adjusted to your satisfaction, then you can put that stuff back.

Some have used a softer cord and laid it out the side of the front edge of the hood.

If you use either of these "alternate release cables/cords" make sure they work before venturing into adjustments.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Bonnet release on a type 3 Reply with quote

And before you adjust anything, remove the spare tire and spare tire well so in case you mess up and it gets stuck, you can release it from underneath!
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Bonnet release on a type 3 Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
And before you adjust anything, remove the spare tire and spare tire well so in case you mess up and it gets stuck, you can release it from underneath!

Yes, but even then it's tough; hence the extra release wire or cord to save the day!
Arrowgb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Bonnet release on a type 3 Reply with quote

Cheers guys.

Greased it up and adjusted the slack slightly.

There is a spring above the cone that can be altered by a locking but. Must of found the sweet spot as she pops lovely now.

Thanks again
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: