Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Trans rattles, road speed dependant
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
regeland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Trans rattles, road speed dependant Reply with quote

Hey all, need some help please
73 SB, 1600cc stock 4 speed. Trying to improve shifting.
Changed the shift coupler and bushing in the tunnel. Changed trans oil. Checked trans mounts.
Shifts WAY better but, now the trans rattles. Sounds like it is coming from the nose cone.
Clutch in or out does not change anything. Definitely road speed depandant.
p.s. still hard to get to 2nd some times. Must be less than 10mph. That may be how it is designed.
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance
Roger
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Trans rattles, road speed dependant Reply with quote

Hi Roger, welcome to The Samba!

Do you think there was a possibility that the rattle was there before, but now you're hypersensitive? I've been there, done that, got the t-shirt………

Is the rattle more obvious in the car (windows up) or outside the car (windows down)?

After touching the shift coupler or bushing, it is necessary to do a reverse lockout plate adjustment. (It's also called the "stop plate" online, but I don't understand why it's called that…) Did you perform this adjustment according to a service manual of some kind? (Hint: it involves putting the shifter in 2nd gear and adjusting that way…)

I garuntee there is no "designed in" difficulty on a vintage German automobile. If you can't shift with two fingers, something is not as designed. You could 1-2 shift a new VW with a pinky, and you still can, if the owner has kept up on maintenance.

Thanks for joining us; now help us help you and let me know the answers to the above…

Good luck!
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Trans rattles, road speed dependant Reply with quote

What transmission oil did you put in the trans.? And did you pump it in slowly?

Tim

Richard O'Brien
regeland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Trans rattles, road speed dependant Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
What transmission oil did you put in the trans.? And did you pump it in slowly?

Tim

Thanks Tim.
Valvoline 75W90 full synthetic. Filled it slowly, took it for a test ride and checked the level again. No problems there.
Roger
regeland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Trans rattles, road speed dependant Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Hi Roger, welcome to The Samba!

Do you think there was a possibility that the rattle was there before, but now you're hypersensitive? I've been there, done that, got the t-shirt………

Is the rattle more obvious in the car (windows up) or outside the car (windows down)?

After touching the shift coupler or bushing, it is necessary to do a reverse lockout plate adjustment. (It's also called the "stop plate" online, but I don't understand why it's called that…) Did you perform this adjustment according to a service manual of some kind? (Hint: it involves putting the shifter in 2nd gear and adjusting that way…)

I garuntee there is no "designed in" difficulty on a vintage German automobile. If you can't shift with two fingers, something is not as designed. You could 1-2 shift a new VW with a pinky, and you still can, if the owner has kept up on maintenance.

Thanks for joining us; now help us help you and let me know the answers to the above…

Good luck!
Robbie

Thanks for the response Robbie!
I can appreciate now being sensitive to it. That is the same story of guys adding oil pressure gauges and fussing on and on about what they can now observe.
The rattle is pronounced inside the car, windows up or down. I reassembled the entire interior thinking maybe it was there before but was muffled.
No, I'm afraid it is still there.
I may just live with it until?
I adjusted the shift gate again per the Haynes manual. Seems better.
Thanks again.
Roger
p.s. The Samba is the BEST resource! It is guys like you who help make this a great hobby.
David_nc_72std
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Trans rattles, road speed dependant Reply with quote

regeland wrote:

Just to be clear, you only have the rattle while the car is moving, and not while you are sitting stationary.

Do you get the same rattle in all gears, while moving and while the clutch is disengaged (clutch pedal pushed to floor)?
regeland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Trans rattles, road speed dependant Reply with quote

David_nc_72std wrote:
regeland wrote:

Just to be clear, you only have the rattle while the car is moving, and not while you are sitting stationary.

Do you get the same rattle in all gears, while moving and while the clutch is disengaged (clutch pedal pushed to floor)?

Yes, strictly speed dependent. Clutch in or out doesn't change it. No noise until a speed of about 10mph, and then the noise increases with vehicle speed. Definitely from the gear box area.
I'm thinking there is some sort of bearing in the nose for a main shaft? I don't have a blow up of the trans.
Thanks again.
Roger
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Trans rattles, road speed dependant Reply with quote

Can you simulate the noise with the rear end up on jack stands?

If so, pull the axels out, to eliminate the wheel bearings. If the noise is still present you will know it is in the tranny. You could get someone in the car driving it, while sitting on jack stands, and get under it with a stethoscope to listen to the tranny. I use an automotive stethoscope. It has a long metallic rod connected to some clear tubing which connects to an ear piece. Like this one from Amazon;

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-52750-Stethoscope-Kit...tethoscope

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
David_nc_72std
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Trans rattles, road speed dependant Reply with quote

regeland wrote:
I'm thinking there is some sort of bearing in the nose for a main shaft?

Mainshaft would be turning in neutral while stationary, and would vary with engine speed as opposed to road speed, so that wouldn't be my first guess.
David_nc_72std
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Trans rattles, road speed dependant Reply with quote

Since you were working with the mounts and changing the transmission fluid, are you sure you didn't shift something under the car that could be rattling against the transmission or drive shafts? Something brushing against the CV joints could make a noise that was related to roadspeed.
regeland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Trans rattles, road speed dependant Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Can you simulate the noise with the rear end up on jack stands?

If so, pull the axels out, to eliminate the wheel bearings. If the noise is still present you will know it is in the tranny. You could get someone in the car driving it, while sitting on jack stands, and get under it with a stethoscope to listen to the tranny. I use an automotive stethoscope. It has a long metallic rod connected to some clear tubing which connects to an ear piece. Like this one from Amazon;

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-52750-Stethoscope-Kit...tethoscope

Great idea with the stethoscope!
Thank you
I was able to isolate the noise originating in the left rear brake.
The parking brake lever was/is rubbing on the inside of the brake drum.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

regeland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Trans rattles, road speed dependant Reply with quote

Problem solved..
lug nuts to long. Hitting the parking brake cable ends, barely.
Thanks for the help!
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Trans rattles, road speed dependant Reply with quote

Sometimes it's something weird. Good that you followed up with the answer.

Mike T

Deserter Series 1 project.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=787047&highlight=

1973 Beetle Driver, Marina Blue.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Trans rattles, road speed dependant Reply with quote

regeland wrote:
Problem solved..
lug nuts to long. Hitting the parking brake cable ends, barely.
Thanks for the help!

Thanks for following through with an update!

Did you ever get the second gear engagement any easier?
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
regeland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Trans rattles, road speed dependant Reply with quote

Thanks Robbie.
What I learned is to shift "short" by which I mean low rpm. Seems to work like a champ that way. There is no tachometer to compare shift points. The only way to "run fast" is in fourth gear.
I think that is just the way it was built and supposed to be used. Drive it like a diesel at low rpm. Lessen learned.
Roger
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: