Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How do I install a replacement LH side mirror?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
OurRed116
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: How do I install a replacement LH side mirror? Reply with quote

They say there are no stupid questions. We'll see...

When I bought my 1966 Beetle, the left hand outside rear view mirror had no mirror glass. It is a pear shaped assembly that screws into the door hinge pin.

I ordered a replacement mirror from Wolfsburg West (part number:113857513AL) that looks identical to what came with the car, but I cannot figure out how to install it. There are three pieces - chrome mirror with shaft, a nut, and a small metal ferrule-looking thing. I put the nut over the mirror base shaft, dropped the ferrule over the base of the shaft, and then tried screwing onto the old threaded door hinge pin. No dice - the nut tightens without the mirror shaft tightening.

What am I missing here?

I also bought a new threaded door hinge pin, but the new one looks identical to the one already on the car, so I'd rather use the one already on the car.

Any help would be much appreciated.
jimwar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: How do I install a replacement LH side mirror? Reply with quote

Did you ever get this done? I have the same issue and wondered what the answer is?
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: How do I install a replacement LH side mirror? Reply with quote

The brass ferule acts like a compression sleeve that gets crushed tight to the mirror post when the nut is tightened. You simply have to keep tightening the nut until the fitting is secure.

What can and often happens though is when you go to tighten the nut it keeps spinning and never gets tight because the hinge pin itself is turning in the hinge.
In this case you need to replace the hinge pin with oversize so it's splined end gets locked securely in the hinge, that way you can tighten the nut enough to compress the ferule.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
OurRed116
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I install a replacement LH side mirror? Reply with quote

Wow - this is an old post! The answer is simply to keep tightening the nut. My hinge pin wasn't spinning, so I just needed to snug it down more.

I will say I've gone through 3 of the WW oval mirrors since I first wrote this post 4 years ago. They kept snapping off at the base of the neck during routine use!

Last month, I installed a round mirror from a different vendor, and it seems more sturdy.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: