Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A pile of Splits! Kansas auction
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Telephunken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: A pile of Splits! Kansas auction Reply with quote

I think a true split 3-fold standard is pretty rare, and its a zwitter to boot; Someone well of course need to check the Vin plate to see if the model designation matches it being a standard and sunroof....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: A pile of Splits! Kansas auction Reply with quote

Germanpride wrote:
I saw that too. We're there 'Canadian Customs' in 52? I'm thinking no. But it had the standard wheel, headliner, window seals, etc, but deluxe trim. It could have always have been added later, of course.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Most likely added later. I was trying to buy a '51 standard in the early 90's and it had all kinds of split era and later deluxe trim added. It was a very common practice.

This is the '51 standard that I was trying to buy in the early 90's.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld

Last edited by splitjunkie on Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Telephunken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: A pile of Splits! Kansas auction Reply with quote

Your probably right Chris. I noticed it doesn't have the aluminum rear window trim either which would be typical. The pictures you just posted show the outside of the sunroof car but the inside is a – the last pictures that were posted show the inside with a Standard oval dash which would make it a zwitter. so is it a 51 or 52? I'm a little confused.
A standard sunroof model would be an "11E" i think....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: A pile of Splits! Kansas auction Reply with quote

the top picture is the car 3 fold Zwitter that is currently for sale.

The bottom 3 pictures are of a '51 standard that I was in negotiations to buy from a guy in Chicago (I think) in the 90's. Somebody bought out from under me but that's another story. It had all kinds of split and later deluxe parts that had added to it over the years. I just posted them to show a standard car that had been similarly modified with deluxe parts.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
Telephunken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: A pile of Splits! Kansas auction Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:
the top picture is the car 3 fold Zwitter that is currently for sale.

The bottom 3 pictures are of a '51 standard that I was in negotiations to buy from a guy in Chicago (I think) in the 90's. Somebody bought out from under me but that's another story. It had all kinds of split and later deluxe parts that had added to it over the years. I just posted them to show a standard car that had been similarly modified with deluxe parts.

ah, ok. so then this particular kansas "barn find" sunroof car in the pics is a zwitter....
I wonder if anybody has a picture of the Vin tab to see if it says 11 E or not..
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: A pile of Splits! Kansas auction Reply with quote

The bids have been submitted and the seller has been contacting buyers. A good friend of mine is the winning bidder on one of these cars. If any other buyer or agent sees this, please contact me. We are interested in possibly working together on the extraction of the cars from the building and shipping to the west coast. Weighing several options, maybe we can work together
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: A pile of Splits! Kansas auction Reply with quote

I was able to confirm that all the Beetles and the Porsche are sold.

I still haven't heard from any other buyers, if you know one please place them in contact with me. The strictest confidentiality will be maintained
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: A pile of Splits! Kansas auction Reply with quote

Today's the day Smile
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: A pile of Splits! Kansas auction Reply with quote

I will be in Vancouver in August and want very badly to see the standard zwitter sunroof! It is up to the new owner to post here if he wants so I won't "out" him.

Don
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: