Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Starter wiring prognosis?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 7:43 am    Post subject: Starter wiring prognosis? Reply with quote

The starter works fine, but last year on our trip to Italy in the Summer sometimes it would not start (not connect) when the engine was hot. Then one day after a long mountain drive the throttle cable's (which was incorrectly routed over the starter solenoid) plastic shielding wore thru and touched the starter solenoid BOOM! ...sent an electrical wave down the throttle cable and melted the sheathing... I replaced the throttle cable and off we went.

One month ago I replace the throttle cable sheathing with a SS pipe 8mm OD.

Now it is finally time to have a good look at this starter. I am at Moron Status when it comes to starters so please don't hesitate to mention obvious things you might assume I am already aware of, because I am probably not.

Please disregard that weird little dead-end coolant hose.... a bit of PO memorabilia.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Starter wiring prognosis? Reply with quote

Rusty connections at the terminals may not be helpful for electron flow.

if your key switch is weak (like old house wires) the addition of a hot start relay may help you.

good luck

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Starter wiring prognosis? Reply with quote

X's 2 on the starter relay addition.

I (we) also like to add a ground cable from the starter
from the starter to bellhousing bolt to the frame/chassis with cleaned and electric greased surfaces.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Starter wiring prognosis? Reply with quote

You can all of the relays you want, first thing I would consider is to get all of the starter terminals & wire connections clean.

This I don't think warrants the question.

Replacing all of that antique wiring to the starter would be an excellent move first, right up front.

Not doing so is asking for more problems.

Preventative maintenance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Starter wiring prognosis? Reply with quote

Heres a couple images I found on TheSamba

This is what you HAVE: The old key switch can no longer supply the 30 amps to give the starter a kick in the pants. It can supply a little, but not enough.

This is what the relay does. The $5 relay requires only a little current to throw it's big, new, internal switch. Adding the relay gives the starter the full 30 Amps kick in the pants. Basically it lets you keep all the old wiring, old ignition switch, and questionable connections.

There are several different relays you can use that all do the same thing but are wired just a little different. Note that relay terminals almost always have the same little terminal label numbers, 30, 85, 86, 87, (sometimes 87a un-used). The terminal number labels are molded into the relay, and are tiny, but almost ALWAYS there.

It's a great band-aid with a high chance of success. It's not a hack, its n upgrade. All modern cars use this system, to prevent exactly the problems you are having. It's a little surprising the Vanagon had no starter relay even into the '90s. But of course you should clean every connection you can find, cuz the upgrade depends on on the old wires, old connections, old switches passing SOME current.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Starter wiring prognosis? Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
You can all of the relays you want, first thing I would consider is to get all of the starter terminals & wire connections clean.

This I don't think warrants the question.

Replacing all of that antique wiring to the starter would be an excellent move first, right up front.

Not doing so is asking for more problems.

Preventative maintenance.

Yep... that's what I'm going to do.
Funny thing is that I actually SEE what's going on much much better in the fotos than when I'm there under the van [bad eyes, bad light, bad positioning]... and looking at these fotos tells me to clean it all up first.

I found this thread which explains a lot https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=291790 ...they seem to say the HOT START RELAY is not so effective for Vanagons.

I think in conjunction to my starter, I need to have a really good look at my ignition... will do that tomorrow with pics.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Starter wiring prognosis? Reply with quote

epowell wrote:
I found this thread which explains a lot https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=291790 ...they seem to say the HOT START RELAY is not so effective for Vanagons.

This starter relay won't address a fuel delivery problem. With fuel delivery problem your starter is cranking but engine not starting.

The starter relay only helps if you turn the key and the starter doesn't crank.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox

Last edited by Sodo on Fri May 26, 2017 8:45 am; edited 1 time in total
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Starter wiring prognosis? Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Heres a couple images I found on TheSamba

This is what you HAVE: The old key switch can no longer supply the 30 amps to give the starter a kick in the pants. It can supply a little, but not enough.

This is what the relay does. The $5 relay requires only a little current to throw it's big, new, internal switch. Adding the relay gives the starter the full 30 Amps kick in the pants. Basically it lets you keep all the old wiring, old ignition switch, and questionable connections.

There are several different relays you can use that all do the same thing but are wired just a little different. Note that relay terminals almost always have the same little terminal label numbers, 30, 85, 86, 87, (sometimes 87a un-used). The terminal number labels are molded into the relay, and are tiny, but almost ALWAYS there.

It's a great band-aid with a high chance of success. It's not a hack, its n upgrade. All modern cars use this system, to prevent exactly the problems you are having. It's a little surprising the Vanagon had no starter relay even into the '90s. But of course you should clean every connection you can find, cuz the upgrade depends on on the old wires, old connections, old switches passing SOME current.

Now that makes a lot of sense... sounds affordable and quick - and since almost all of my driving will be on hot Summer trips doing long hauls - I'd guess I really could use something like this.

Does anyone have any more details regarding how to do this and what exactly to buy?
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Starter wiring prognosis? Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
epowell wrote:

This starter relay won't address a fuel delivery problem. With fuel delivery problem your starter is cranking but engine not starting.

The starter relay only helps if you turn the key and the starter doesn't crank.

No no... my issue is NOT fuel delivery. It is an electrical issue. No cranking!
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Starter wiring prognosis? Reply with quote

Its simple parts, low cost. Here it is at BusDepot in kit form with instructions. https://www.busdepot.com/wr1

Here it is on Amazon http://a.co/4FSKpK7

Can prob get it all at the autoparts store.

epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Starter wiring prognosis? Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Its simple parts, low cost. Here it is at BusDepot in kit form with instructions. https://www.busdepot.com/wr1

Here it is on Amazon http://a.co/4FSKpK7

Can prob get it all at the autoparts store.

Very cool! THANKS!
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Starter wiring prognosis? Reply with quote

It's the old wiring, battery cable etc that draws big amps because it's old.

Change that wiring, the van will start like new.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Starter wiring prognosis? Reply with quote

EPowell I recommend you change every wire in the whole van! In the year 2027.

But this upgrade should serve you well. The next problem which is always on the horizon, is the starter. FAR FAR better off hoarding a new starter if flush with cash cuz it's a required component of limited lifetime. Wires can last almost forever if not a terribly corrosive environment.

However if this $5 upgrade DOESN'T work, you will next have to
1) check/clean all connections and inspect the wires
2) consider your starter is dead
3) change the big battery wires (ground and positive).

bajaleo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Starter wiring prognosis? Reply with quote

Where does conventional wisdom suggest mounting the relay? Nearer the ignition switch, or nearer the starter?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Starter wiring prognosis? Reply with quote

Near the starter, on the firewall, in a spot where you can see it.

Mark
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter wiring prognosis? Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
EPowell I recommend you change every wire in the whole van! In the year 2027.

You mean the goal should be, all new wires within 10 years? Probably the thing to do in a few years from now would be to completely take everything out of the van (including wiring), and at that time also permanently deal with rust... then re-wire the whole van etc.

Sodo wrote:
FAR FAR better off hoarding a new starter if flush with cash cuz it's a required component of limited lifetime. Wires can last almost forever if not a terribly corrosive environment.

I have seen a lot of used starters going for about $40... ...or I wonder if people do better for the money just getting new ones > or are new ones generally aftermarket crap?

Sodo wrote:

However if this $5 upgrade DOESN'T work, you will next have to
1) check/clean all connections and inspect the wires
2) consider your starter is dead
3) change the big battery wires (ground and positive).

Actually my van now starts perfectly... it was a rare issue I had last Summer. We will see again this Summer when we go on the trip to the Balkans... I will clean up all those wires for now.
Italjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter wiring prognosis? Reply with quote

You could also install an starter button like I did.
It will save your ignition switch as well Very Happy

Link

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Classifieds Feedback
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter wiring prognosis? Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
Near the starter, on the firewall, in a spot where you can see it.

Mark

i suggest you do it inside the firewall/engine bay. mine was zip tied above the starter and one day it shorted when it got soaked. having this relay short (and turn on) meant the starter engaged (while driving at 110km).

on the upside, my new starter is great and aside from the starter, nothing else got too burnt.
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter wiring prognosis? Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
It's the old wiring, battery cable etc that draws big amps because it's old.

Change that wiring, the van will start like new.

Please TK, stick to giving us the benefit of your extensive metal working knowledge, and refrain from uttering completely useless electrical nonsense.

Or, perhaps, explain why 'old wiring' draws 'big amps' because it's old. I'd be interested in this (apparently) newly discovered phenomenon.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter wiring prognosis? Reply with quote

What do you call old?
Any vehicle that is older than 15-20 years old, outside 24/7/365 has old wiring running to the starter ( one prime example FYI ) and requires new wire from the batteries to the starter.

This is exactly why some electrical madman side stepped rewiring the starting circuit and using a power relay.

I invite Ed to take a box knife and cut into the insulation of the power wire , I bet he finds the copper wire is green or black under that insulation offering much larger amperage requirements to activate the solenoid & starter.

Seen it too often to bow out , say OK man, you're totally correct.

Show me one of these vans that is newer than 15-20 years.

Eds Van is an 82, and been in a hermetically sealed garage?

Please.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: