Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone install Different Steering Wheel on a '60?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Irish911
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 7:19 am    Post subject: Anyone install Different Steering Wheel on a '60? Reply with quote

Has anyone installed anything for a steering wheel on a '60-'61 other than the factory wheel and horn? I am interested in seeing pictures if anyone has installed any other type of wheel and horn. I don't know if it matters that I have a '60.
Thanks

(I did a search but found nothing)
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone install Different Steering Wheel on a '60? Reply with quote

If you ignore the gas gauge in the photos you can expand your search beyond '61. Meanwhile, visit the "let's see YOUR dash" thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=178567&highlight=dash

I can't leave without providing this shot- speedwell credit goes to rcroane!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Irish911
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone install Different Steering Wheel on a '60? Reply with quote

That wheel and horn look great. Where did you source it, or does it have a part number/name? Looks like you do some rally driving as well.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone install Different Steering Wheel on a '60? Reply with quote

Grant makes adapters for all years of VW's...Grant 3-hole adapters can be bolted to 5 or 6 hole adapters.

This provides you with the option for installing just about every aftermarket steering wheel made

Find the steering wheel you like and purchase the proper adapter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone install Different Steering Wheel on a '60? Reply with quote

it's a speedwell steering wheel

steering wheel spline count changed in 1960, any aftermarket wheel or adapter for 1960-1974 is the same.

some popular wheels are

empi GTV ($$$$)

flat four copy of the one above

Nardi - they feel nicer than the ones above to me and I've had all 3

Empi Carriage or VDM wheel

Banjo wheel

txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone install Different Steering Wheel on a '60? Reply with quote

I think Erik just about nailed the most popular VW steering wheels.

It just depends on what you're looking for, if you want a more modern wheel, simply Google "VW Steering Wheels"

Here is one of my favorites:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Volkswagen-Steering-Wheel-...Ciid%253A1

Even comes with the adapter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone install Different Steering Wheel on a '60? Reply with quote

Irish911 wrote:
That wheel and horn look great. Where did you source it, or does it have a part number/name? Looks like you do some rally driving as well.

Mine is a Speedwell wheel- circa mid 60s. They accept a late 50s beetle or split screen bus horn button. When marketed by Empi- the speedwell wheel had an Empi button (rarer). Samba user 'rcroane' sold me the wheel 3 years ago- and you can usually find 2 in the classifieds all the time. My favorite search words include: Speedwell, FIV and Petri here in the ads.

The car is more a tribute car than anything. I am the 'rallymaster' for a navigational road rally every year here in Boise- but my '62 is just for fun.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
MXDesa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone install Different Steering Wheel on a '60? Reply with quote

Those are great options. Eric and Hitest, have you guys been able to maintain horn functionality with all of those steering wheel options?

Thanks for starting this post Irish.
caleb0101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone install Different Steering Wheel on a '60? Reply with quote

i have a vintage superior steering wheel in my 60 euro rag

Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone install Different Steering Wheel on a '60? Reply with quote

The superiors are nice wheels too

Yes on the horn question.
Irish911
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 2:58 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone install Different Steering Wheel on a '60? Reply with quote

Thanks for the pictures and suggestions, exactly what i was hoping for.

Are the vintage superior wheels still available? I checked out their web site and didn't see anything, unless I was on the wrong site.
zabo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone install Different Steering Wheel on a '60? Reply with quote

there seem to be few in the classifieds
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...ton=Search

handful on ebay as well
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone install Different Steering Wheel on a '60? Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
The superiors are nice wheels too

Yes on the horn question.

I'm a yes as well- stock deluxe bus button.

FU#5
Davidsquared
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone install Different Steering Wheel on a '60? Reply with quote

Hi Erik,
I am looking for an aftermarket wheel for my Karmann Ghia and I am curious as to your opinion. I am tall (189cm) and getting into the car is a bit of a yoga move to get under the steering wheel. I was wondering if the 380 mm steering wheel would make a noticeable difference. Looking at my stock wheel I can see that it still requires to have dish, as this provides clearance to my knees. That the wheel is positioned between my knees and body if that makes sense. But would I notice the difference of 20mm smaller diameter compared to the stock wheel?

thanks in advance
David

Erik G wrote:
it's a speedwell steering wheel

steering wheel spline count changed in 1960, any aftermarket wheel or adapter for 1960-1974 is the same.

some popular wheels are

empi GTV ($$$$)

flat four copy of the one above

Nardi - they feel nicer than the ones above to me and I've had all 3

Empi Carriage or VDM wheel

Banjo wheel
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: