Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1968 Deluxe resurrection
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe resurrection Reply with quote

I just did this with mine, looked about the same inside. It took longer than I had hoped. But worth it.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe resurrection Reply with quote

Nothing too exciting, I adjusted the sliding door so that it'll close properly. Then I sucked a couple of liters of brake fluid through the system, adjusted the brakes & now that it can stop I need to finish getting all the engine tin painted & get the engine back in.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Sven F
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe resurrection Reply with quote

Very amusing to see this bus transforming from the inside out.
It seems rust free considering where and how it sat.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe resurrection Reply with quote

Sven F wrote:
Very amusing to see this bus transforming from the inside out.
It seems rust free considering where and how it sat.

Thanks, but it's definitely got some rust issues. Fortunately none of it has compromised the structural integrity.

I spent some more time trying to clean the engine bay. Along with all the dust, the bay was rather sooty? I guess that might have been caused by a combination of a shot engine seal, a broken engine mount allowing the mustache bar to lift out of its normal resting position, & a muffler with a large hole in it facing up.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It's definitely brightened up in there, especially when this is how it started.

You can see how the right side is lifted up.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
rusty busty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe resurrection Reply with quote

Wow looking much better!
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe resurrection Reply with quote

rusty busty wrote:
Wow looking much better!

Thank you!

Well, even though I covered this in another thread, I thought I'd keep it together with my thread also.

I got my one-year-only brake fluid reservoir from CIP1 today & it's everything we have come to expect from "made in China" aftermarket parts.
It looks promising from the outside...

but where it really matters, it's horrible.

I cleaned up the flashing with a small knife & then, by hand, carefully reamed out the ID with a 9/16' drill bit, then removed the seal from the tube, inserted it 2/3rds of the way into the reservoir & then mounted the reservoir in place & tightened it down.

vwloos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe resurrection Reply with quote

Nice work!!!

What is the price for this beauty today? :-) :-)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe resurrection Reply with quote

vwloos wrote:
Nice work!!!

What is the price for this beauty today? Smile Smile

Thanks! As posted in the ad, & it'll be up & running soon. After it's running, I might be less inclined to sell it. Laughing

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe resurrection Reply with quote

Here's some of the last few pieces to be cleaned & repainted, it's obvious that the crusty pig spent most of its life on rural unpaved southeastern NC roads or transporting workers in the fields.

Here's another factory marking for those who might be wanting to do one of those 100 point restorations.

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe resurrection Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Here's some of the last few pieces to be cleaned & repainted, it's obvious that the crusty pig spent most of its life on rural unpaved southeastern NC roads or transporting workers in the fields.

Here's another factory marking for those who might be wanting to do one of those 100 point restorations.

Have you peaked into the distributor yet? Laughing I can't tell by the one pic I looked at but it kinda looks like an 009.

I restore a lot of distributors and those dirt roads destroy distributors. All that fine dirt and dust gets inside them and grinds them to death.

Look at the deep groove in the advance weights pins on this bus 205Q distributor. The advance weight holes where oblong. This distributor went into the steel recycle bin.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe resurrection Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up wcfvw69. It is a 009 & after digging through most of my crap, I can only find 009s (7 of them). I did however go to the show at Farmington today & got to meet Hazetguy & got a good thermostat rod from him. THANKS Hazetguy!!! I also got a SVDA distributor & a good intake hose.

I watched the guy in front of me test a couple of distributors test the vacuum actuators by sucking on a hose supplied by the seller, the seller then offer me the same hose, I told the seller I should just skip the middle man & kiss the other buyer on the mouth instead, they all laughed. I thenpushed the advance mechanism all the way towards the actuator, put my finger over the vacuum port on the distributor, pulled the advance mechanism all the way out & then released my finger from the tube which made a "pop" noise & gave them my money. They all looked in amazement & I just walked away with a grin on my face.

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe resurrection Reply with quote

After getting the thermostat rod I was able to get the fan shroud back on & the thermostat adjusted.
It's starting to look like an engine again.

Here's the clutch I removed.

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe resurrection Reply with quote

I spent another hour stripping more paint.

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe resurrection Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:

I watched the guy in front of me test a couple of distributors test the vacuum actuators by sucking on a hose supplied by the seller, the seller then offer me the same hose, I told the seller I should just skip the middle man & kiss the other buyer on the mouth instead, they all laughed. I then pushed the advance mechanism all the way towards the actuator, put my finger over the vacuum port on the distributor, pulled the advance mechanism all the way out & then released my finger from the tube which made a "pop" noise & gave them my money. They all looked in amazement & I just walked away with a grin on my face.

Often times I take a hand vacuum pump with me to the swap meets. I've lost count how many times a seller told me "the vacuum can is fine" only then to fail the vacuum pump test. The vacuum cans should not leak down under vacuum. Many do exactly that, especially when they were called good using the mouth "sucking" test..

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe resurrection Reply with quote

I love this thread!!

The urge to do one of these is huge..

What’s That Noise?!?
captainvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe resurrection Reply with quote

Is the line between the Resevior and Master one year only as well ? And if so does anyone stock them need to replace and aftermarket unit in my 68 as well and have just stumbled on this thread !

TDCTDI wrote:
rusty busty wrote:
Wow looking much better!

Thank you!

Well, even though I covered this in another thread, I thought I'd keep it together with my thread also.

I got my one-year-only brake fluid reservoir from CIP1 today & it's everything we have come to expect from "made in China" aftermarket parts.
It looks promising from the outside...

but where it really matters, it's horrible.

I cleaned up the flashing with a small knife & then, by hand, carefully reamed out the ID with a 9/16' drill bit, then removed the seal from the tube, inserted it 2/3rds of the way into the reservoir & then mounted the reservoir in place & tightened it down.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe resurrection Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
I love this thread!!

The urge to do one of these is huge..

Thanks! You should do it, you're in an area with much better examples.

captainvw wrote:
Is the line between the Resevior and Master one year only as well ? And if so does anyone stock them need to replace and aftermarket unit in my 68 as well and have just stumbled on this thread !

I don't know if the tubes are the same, you might be able to source that tube in the classifieds from someone parting a '68 bus, or even a '69-'71ish & use the newer reservoir.

airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe resurrection Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
captainvw wrote:

I don't know if the tubes are the same, you might be able to source that tube in the classifieds from someone parting a '68 bus, or even a '69-'71ish & use the newer reservoir.

'68 is one-year only, and '69-'70 is unique as well. The shapes are the same, but the '68 is made of metal, with a threaded/flared upper end for the reservoir, while '69-'70 have a gasket assembly and a plastic tube instead of metal. So you can use any one of them, as long as you have the upper reservoir/gasket to match.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe resurrection Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:
captainvw wrote:

'68 is one-year only, and '69-'70 is unique as well. The shapes are the same, but the '68 is made of metal, with a threaded/flared upper end for the reservoir, while '69-'70 have a gasket assembly and a plastic tube instead of metal. So you can use any one of them, as long as you have the upper reservoir/gasket to match.

Robbie

Interesting, mine is metal but was not flared/threaded.

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe resurrection Reply with quote

In my attempts to clean up the inside of the bus a bit, I found the ignition lock cylinder with a key in it, under the passenger seat. Unfortunately, the key didn't work in the ignition cylinder Crying or Very sad, but it did work in the sliding door Very Happy. So I searched for a local locksmith that could/would cut a key by the code on the cylinder but couldn't find any. So searched here in the forums for someone that do so & found Steve's Lock Shoppe & had him make a couple of keys. Wonderful to deal with, fair price, prompt service. THANKS STEVE!!! Key works great in the ignition, not so much in any of the doors, I'll have to re-key the rest of the bus.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Page 5 of 16

Jump to: