Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1st restoration...extended fenders
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bugglyugger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 8:14 am    Post subject: 1st restoration...extended fenders Reply with quote

Hellooo....I would like to know how hard it is to extend rear fenders, My idea is to chop my old pair 150mm wide section from the fender bolt seam, chop the lip off on the new pair then just add old to new, using the new bolt hole lip on the extension piece.. tack welded underneath with around a 20mm overlap then filler (bondo ?) the metal thickness difference.. ?? so on a scale...1 easy...10 bloody hard.. what ya think..???
Dodgy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1st restoration...extended fenders Reply with quote

It's been done plenty of times before, search around the gallery here or Google. Doing it well is the challenge. +100mm will definitely look weird, especially if the light clusters are left biased inboard or outboard.

Widened wings are available off-the-shelf in various sizes and styles (flared or blended) from CSP and others. Widening them yourself is a ton of work and a risk that they never look 'right'. Unless you need a wider width than available or are looking for a particular custom style, it might be worth the expense just to go buy these parts.

If you do go for the DIY option, don't overlap the joint or run the weld along the folded edge for the bolt flange. Butt weld sections in the gap a short distance away from this folded edge. Use short in-fill sections to make following the 3D profile easier. Seam seal the joint well on the inside when complete.
bugglyugger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1st restoration...extended fenders Reply with quote

Dodgy wrote:
It's been done plenty of times before, search around the gallery here or Google. Doing it well is the challenge. +100mm will definitely look weird, especially if the light clusters are left biased inboard or outboard.

Widened wings are available off-the-shelf in various sizes and styles (flared or blended) from CSP and others. Widening them yourself is a ton of work and a risk that they never look 'right'. Unless you need a wider width than available or are looking for a particular custom style, it might be worth the expense just to go buy these parts.

If you do go for the DIY option, don't overlap the joint or run the weld along the folded edge for the bolt flange. Butt weld sections in the gap a short distance away from this folded edge. Use short in-fill sections to make following the 3D profile easier. Seam seal the joint well on the inside when complete.
i have youtubed a video that did it in sections..seemed a lot of messing around..not seen any others that are helpful..surely my old wings will already have the profile... or should i butt weld small sections from the old wings as i am terrible at panel beating..bought are noooo option..main reason i av two brand new wings already..that i dont want to destroy by getting it wrong..REASON...my wizards in my head has extended arches to acompany the modular wheel that hopefully sticks out a further inch or so...to fit my 205/65/15 tyres.. fat wizards look amazing..(100mm was a guestimation).. it is having teardrop rear lights..
bugglyugger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1st restoration...extended fenders Reply with quote

Dodgy wrote:

i have youtubed a video that did it in sections..seemed a lot of messing around..not seen any others that are helpful..surely my old wings will already have the profile... or should i butt weld small sections from the old wings as i am terrible at panel beating..bought are noooo option..main reason i av two brand new wings already..that i dont want to destroy by getting it wrong..REASON...my wizards in my head has extended arches to acompany the modular wheel that hopefully sticks out a further inch or so...to fit my 205/65/15 tyres.. fat wizards look amazing..(100mm was a guestimation).. it is having teardrop rear lights..
bugglyugger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1st restoration...extended fenders Reply with quote

Dodgy wrote:

buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1st restoration...extended fenders Reply with quote

http://www.creativecarcraft.com/stock.htm
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: