Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

tires for stock 14 rims- I read sticky
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: tires for stock 14 rims- I read sticky Reply with quote

These are the best shots I could find in my gallery where you could see much of the tires at all. As far as I know, the suspension is all factory.

Right now, the poor Thing is sitting out in the rain topless!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: tires for stock 14 rims- I read sticky Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
Ha ha, I have the Grabber tires, and have often wondered about that, as I currently have no spare tire!

But I haven't actually removed a tire and thrown it in the trunk to see.

I have a wheel I could probably use, but I think it is actually from a Bus so I don't know for sure. I honestly haven't thought about it when I've got time to do it!

Well I pulled the front wheels to start working on the front suspension.

There is no chance that the General Grabber would fit in the front trunk location.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hylomatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: tires for stock 14 rims- I read sticky Reply with quote

Okay, thanks a lot Dave.
nikita
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: tires for stock 14 rims- I read sticky Reply with quote

Another possible almost stock size tire, 195/75R14 Firestone Winterforce from Tirerack, $52.25 plus shipping each. The diameter is close to the 185R14. The tread pattern is not quite as aggressive as an all terrain tire.
hylomatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: tires for stock 14 rims- I read sticky Reply with quote

I ended up buying these. I really like them and they look decently aggressive.
https://simpletire.com/cooper-lt195-75r14-90000023586-tires
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: tires for stock 14 rims- I read sticky Reply with quote

I'm working towards putting the same General Grabbers onto my '78 Bus.

I've long wondered if going from 25 inch tires to 27 inch tires has reduced the top speed in my underpowered Thing, by changing the gearing and reducing the torque. I put those on after it had sat for 25 years, so I had no experience in driving on stock-size tires.

So I'm considering putting the current Grabber tires onto the Bus rims, and getting something closer to stock size for the Thing.

As a bonus, it may well be quite a bit less expensive to buy a different set of Thing tires, vs a second set of Grabbers.

I like the looks of the Cooper tires. I may have to think about those. Did you put one on the spare? Does it fit in the trunk OK?

I was also looking at the Winterforce tires. My understanding is that a winter tire doesn't last nearly as long in the summer, but perhaps on a light Thing and with not putting zillions of miles on it, it is a non-issue.

I'd probably not ever drive it in snow much, but do like to go out on mud occasionally.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
hylomatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: tires for stock 14 rims- I read sticky Reply with quote

Yes I have 5 including the spare and it fits under the hood perfectly. I can upload a pic in a few hours when I'm home again.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: tires for stock 14 rims- I read sticky Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:

I've long wondered if going from 25 inch tires to 27 inch tires has reduced the top speed in my underpowered Thing, by changing the gearing and reducing the torque. I put those on after it had sat for 25 years, so I had no experience in driving on stock-size tires.

So I'm considering putting the current Grabber tires onto the Bus rims, and getting something closer to stock size for the Thing.

As a bonus, it may well be quite a bit less expensive to buy a different set of Thing tires, vs a second set of Grabbers.

I like the looks of the Cooper tires. I may have to think about those. Did you put one on the spare? Does it fit in the trunk OK?

I was also looking at the Winterforce tires. My understanding is that a winter tire doesn't last nearly as long in the summer, but perhaps on a light Thing and with not putting zillions of miles on it, it is a non-issue.

I'd probably not ever drive it in snow much, but do like to go out on mud occasionally.

On my transporter, I drove year around with "winter only" Nokian on one axle and the over hyped Hankooks on the other. The Nokians lasted as long as the two pairs of Hankooks. On my T-181 I now have Toyo 195/75r14 on the front and Michelin Ice on the back. I suspect I will toss the Michelins due to age long before the tread is used up.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: tires for stock 14 rims- I read sticky Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
vwwestyman wrote:

On my transporter, I drove year around with "winter only" Nokian on one axle and the over hyped Hankooks on the other. The Nokians lasted as long as the two pairs of Hankooks. On my T-181 I now have Toyo 195/75r14 on the front and Michelin Ice on the back. I suspect I will toss the Michelins due to age long before the tread is used up.

Good to know about the winter tires. So I wonder which one would have better mud/old dirt road grip then? A couple years ago I impressed Jeep owners at the local Off Road Vehicle park during the Jeep Jamboree with the Thing's capabilities. I don't want to lose that.

What about thoughts on the extra 2 inch diameter tires being a contributing factor to the car's highway speed abilities and possible slight overheating?

I know that the taller tires should theoretically give me a higher top speed due to taller gearing, but if I've lost some of the torque potential I may have more than made up for that with the loss of torque. Make sense?

For the overheating comment, on a hot day last summer, I had issues with it vapor locking while driving for a while.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: tires for stock 14 rims- I read sticky Reply with quote

My tranny gives me Bug engine speeds out on the freeway while still having fairly low gearing in the lower gears. Seems to be a great combo. I have never noticed any overheating, but I seldom put a lot of miles on it at a stretch either. The engine which I assume is fairly stock, with at most a mild cam upgrade, seems to do very well with the 4th gear gearing.

If you are going to be spinning the tires off road I would worry about the winter compounds holding up very well.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: tires for stock 14 rims- I read sticky Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
My tranny gives me Bug engine speeds out on the freeway while still having fairly low gearing in the lower gears. Seems to be a great combo. I have never noticed any overheating, but I seldom put a lot of miles on it at a stretch either. The engine which I assume is fairly stock, with at most a mild cam upgrade, seems to do very well with the 4th gear gearing.

If you are going to be spinning the tires off road I would worry about the winter compounds holding up very well.

Good point. I bet the softer winter compound would be more susceptible to being torn up by mud and rocks.

I believe I've got the stock Thing transmission and engine. Just wondering if going back to shorter tires would make the torque a little more available at highway speeds. It really would be nice to be able to go from 55 to even 60. 65 would be great!

If that couple inches of diameter don't actually make much of a difference, then I'll keep the Grabbers on the Thing.

But over in the Bus forums I have read comments about the concern of too-tall tires reducing torque availability and reducing cooling fan speeds.

Put another way, I've seen folks warned that a "freeway flyer" transmission isn't the best idea on a 1600-powered Bus because you lose some torque and cooling and make the engine actually work harder and hotter. With taller tires, have I inadvertently created a "freeway flyer?"

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
EDragnDean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: tires for stock 14 rims- I read sticky Reply with quote

hylomatt wrote:
I ended up buying these. I really like them and they look decently aggressive.
https://simpletire.com/cooper-lt195-75r14-90000023586-tires

Photos?
73 Thing http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8111202#8111202
70 BusClick to view image
Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: tires for stock 14 rims- I read sticky Reply with quote

The General Grabbers are only 1.3 inches taller than stock tires. At 60 mph you are actually going 63. I just put a set on mine and don't notice a difference from my old stock tires, except they ride a lot better.
hylomatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: tires for stock 14 rims- I read sticky Reply with quote

Here are the photos.

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: tires for stock 14 rims- I read sticky Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:

Put another way, I've seen folks warned that a "freeway flyer" transmission isn't the best idea on a 1600-powered Bus because you lose some torque and cooling and make the engine actually work harder and hotter. With taller tires, have I inadvertently created a "freeway flyer?"

Not sure exactly what constitutes a Freeway Flier transmission, but have been under the impression it has longer gearing than a stock bug tranny. The bus is pretty heavy and the longer gearing of the FF would probably be detrimental in most circumstances, but this doesn't mean that running somewhat larger tires on a Thing would be overly negative.

I do know that the present 002 tranny I have in my Bay which I had built specifically for use with 27x8.5r14 tires gives me lower gearing in 1st-3rd gears but close to the same 4th gear gearing with the tire diameter taken into consideration as the 091 I had in there previously did when run with stock size tires.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: