Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1970 VW "Original Accessory"
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
itjustbugsme2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: 1970 VW "Original Accessory" Reply with quote

I was wondering if there was any web site that one could go to and see what "original" accessories were offered for a specific year VW. I understand that you can go to the many VW suppliers who offer accessories but what I am looking for is what "specifically" was offered at that specific year. Let me give you an example. This "72" Super Beetle I recently picked up has some really nice looking rear bumper "reflectors" on them....I looked closely and they look like they would have come, been offered in 1972...so I was wondering, and I question: "How can one find out"?

Thanks

JPL/OH
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
71superAS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 VW "Original Accessory" Reply with quote

This isn't much help, but those are pretty sweet!
Luft kühl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 VW "Original Accessory" Reply with quote

Those reflectors were not sold as an accessory. They were a one year only stock part on the 1970 beetle.
itjustbugsme2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 VW "Original Accessory" Reply with quote

Well; I did a little research after posting my question and found a 1972 VW Super Beetle Dealer Brochure on Samba and on one of the pages, it actually shows these reflectors.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Luft kühl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 VW "Original Accessory" Reply with quote

That is a picture of a 1970 beetle. It also shows the 1970 only rain tray.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 VW "Original Accessory" Reply with quote

Luft kühl wrote:

Yes, VW used prior years' photos on many adverts. Sometimes the photo was so good they kept pimping it. Other times, like in the switch from '70 to '71 bus adverts, they would take a '70 and paint it like a '71 (huge switch in paint for those years) and photograph it.

Owners manuals are notoriously screwy for detail shots, because VW had to shoot, write, edit, and publish the booklet before the first car even rolled off the assembly line in August.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
itjustbugsme2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 VW "Original Accessory" Reply with quote

Well you learn something everyday and many of you know way too much about the "Beetle"...LOL.....I would have never identified that as a "70"...nice job. How dare those VW dudes put a 1970 Beetle in a 1972 VW Super Beetle Brochure......I'm contacting my legal team. Next thing you know they'll try to fudge their emission test....really. Thanks for pointing that out and oh by the way......"what exactly is the rain tray you mentioned"
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 VW "Original Accessory" Reply with quote

Somewhere in my files I have a brochure on accessories available for a 1970-71-72 Beetle (one of those years), I just have to find it.

This included stuff like leather gearshift knobs with pattern or Wolfsburg crest (I bought the latter, think I had two at one time, one for each VW). Maybe trim rings for wheels, etc. Was not a whole lot.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
itjustbugsme2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 VW "Original Accessory" Reply with quote

Man if you can track them down I'd love to get or see one; thanks.
Luft kühl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 VW "Original Accessory" Reply with quote

The rain tray is that black plastic thing attached to the inside of the deck lid. The water drains from the hose coming out the bottom of it.
itjustbugsme2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 VW "Original Accessory" Reply with quote

I see, thanks.
Patty B.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 VW "Original Accessory" Reply with quote

I looked--It's not in my Volkswagen Approved Accessories binder of Feb '71 (Canada).

You can see the dudes in this pic of back up lights --probably '67ish dudes lol

[img]
[/img]
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 1:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 VW "Original Accessory" Reply with quote

Luft kühl wrote:
The rain tray is that black plastic thing attached to the inside of the deck lid. The water drains from the hose coming out the bottom of it.

They're actually metal.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Bama Dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 2:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 VW "Original Accessory" Reply with quote

Here's an accessories brochure for 1970:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...ton=Search

1970 Beetle
1971 Super
1972 Baja

hellthorne wrote:
First off, I know i made stupid decisions that led to my predicament, so while you are welcome to tell me that I am an idiot for doing the things I did, please know that I am already aware of this.
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 VW "Original Accessory" Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Luft kühl wrote:

Yes, VW used prior years' photos on many adverts. Sometimes the photo was so good they kept pimping it. Other times, like in the switch from '70 to '71 bus adverts, they would take a '70 and paint it like a '71 (huge switch in paint for those years) and photograph it.

Owners manuals are notoriously screwy for detail shots, because VW had to shoot, write, edit, and publish the booklet before the first car even rolled off the assembly line in August.

Robbie

Robbie, you so kewl. (Cartman voice)
VW facts make feel so smart and fuzzy, thanks for the info.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 VW "Original Accessory" Reply with quote

I happen to have the reflectors on my 68 72 and 73. Found them here in classified and or a swapmeet. I added them for safety. The 68 had to have the bumper bracket drilled. 72 73 already had mounting holes for the reflectors.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1990414
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1805225

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Bama Dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 VW "Original Accessory" Reply with quote

Sorry, my earlier post has a link to something else. Here is the link to the accessories brochure.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/70accessories.php

1970 Beetle
1971 Super
1972 Baja

hellthorne wrote:
First off, I know i made stupid decisions that led to my predicament, so while you are welcome to tell me that I am an idiot for doing the things I did, please know that I am already aware of this.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 VW "Original Accessory" Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
I happen to have the reflectors on my 68 72 and 73. Found them here in classified and or a swapmeet. I added them for safety. The 68 had to have the bumper bracket drilled. 72 73 already had mounting holes for the reflectors.

I bought my 1970 reflectors from the Samba as well; my 1970 never had these as stock, was early in year model, and was 2 years old when I bought it.

So of course those 1970 reflectors went on my 1971 Convertible !!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Ricache
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 VW "Original Accessory" Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1990414
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1805225

Love those. I know what my next purchase will be.

I threw away so much OG stuff when I first got mine in 86😫
bug-man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 VW "Original Accessory" Reply with quote

New to the site .... did you figure out where those reflectors can be found
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: