Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 54 european deluxe from start to finish
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

I never understood that mentality. I paid like $250 a year on my Notchback insured at 25K with hagerty, same with my 912. I don't trust Houston drivers for nothing. I don't consider that a lot when I think about my time and effort and money spent.

I'm also closer to downtown, and I have had a car stolen from me before...
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
Is the appraisal for your registration of simply for insurance?

Obviously there is risk involved, but with Hagerty I simply took photos and gave them a value of $10k. Is my 54 worth more than that...yeah, but I'm not going to pay out the rearend for insurance on a car that I drive on nice days.

Plus, besides paint, I did the majority of the work.

I pay $140/year

I understand your point but it's not much more to insure it for the full value.
Example: A $100K in cars isn't 10x more.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

Another part for me is that is what it was worth before I took it apart and rebuilt it and I have never changed the value...

I may call Hagerty to see how much a $20k policy would be, but I drive my Oval ~1500-2000 miles a year, mainly to shows and back home. Mine is registered as an Antique, so technically I can only drive to shows, parades, or repair shops...and less than 2500 miles a year.

Like I said it's a risk, but I would not pay $400-500 a year for insurance. If I drove it everyday I would. Traffic is much better than Houston up in the Woodlands/Conroe area
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

Hello all, interesting discussion. The appraisal was for two purposes. First was personal interest, but more importantly required for the ICBC and Hagerty. Plus, someone in BC can correct me, but I believe the info is required in this province to obtain collectors plates which I have to apply for.

I am more inclined to go for the full amount of the appraisal, but will discuss with my insurance broker on Thursday. Will let you know.

Thanks,
Mike

54 European Sedan deluxe
Build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=414940
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
favguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 3:18 am    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

I'd advise insuring for the full appraisal figure, if the worst did happen, you really want that much back. It's all well and good arguing that it's cost you a lot less than this figure to restore the car, but you have literally spent years on this, heart and soul, and your labour should be allowed for.

The difference will most likely be peanuts per year anyway...

Last edited by favguy on Fri May 19, 2017 3:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

Hey guys, safety inspection passed with flying colours, there was no doubt. I have the car now temporarily registered with regular plates until my application for collectors plates (which I sent today) is approved. Will have it on the road in a day or two. Pics to come.

Cheers,
Mike

54 European Sedan deluxe
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

So all, registration went well, just regular plates temporarily, application for collectors plates in takes a few weeks to get back. Will apply for the Hagerty insurance then.

In the meantime, made myself front plate mounting brackets, and took Schultz for almost 70km's of breaking in fun around beautiful Victoria.
Cool
Stopped at my wife's work for a quick photo op, and a free ice cream, thanks honey:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Then off to our local Castle in town:

A couple of things that need adjustment, but nothing major. All components seem to be getting along well. Can't get the smile off my face tonight!!! Very Happy

More to come stay tuned.

Thanks,
Mike

54 European Sedan deluxe
Russ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

excellent to see you driving it
enjoy it while the weather is good
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fifty-Eight Rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

Awesome job!
That car makes me smile!
Enjoy it

1956 Oval build thread
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

1962 Single Cab Restoration
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7959298#7959298

1967 Beetle Restoration
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=495269&highlight=larrys
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

Thanks Russ and Fifty-Eight Rag appreciate the comments.

Schultz had his first, if not impromptu, car show last night. Every Saturday night at Ogden Point pier in Victoria BC, they hold an antique car show I found out at the last minute. Here are the pics from a great night out with Schultz and my wife (the official photographer) Cool

On behalf of my wife Naomi and myself thanks for watching, supporting and commenting on Schultz's build. Looking forward to many happy days of driving and also look forward to meeting some of you in the future. Very Happy

Cheers,
Mike

54 European Sedan deluxe
Zwitterkafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

Fabulous!! All the best; enjoy!!
vwnut1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

Beautiful car, love the exterior color.

So, do you plan on enjoying the Bug or finding another diamond in the rough? You will probably get the itch for another VW project within the next 6-months:)
bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

excellent work, hope to see you and the car this summer!
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

Thanks Zwitterkafer, I am enjoying it for sure. Thank you again for the licence light, wouldn't be the same without it.

Thanks vwnut1, I plan on enjoying the car for sure. I think I will spend my spare vw time helping others rebuild their projects. Having said that found a bug in a garage today, lol.

Thanks bwaz, I have my ferry tickets and hotel for the Vancouver show look Schultz and I up, hope to meet you there.

Cheers,
Mike

54 European Sedan deluxe
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

Needed some retuning help on my 36 hp this past week. Contacted my engine builder Rick Herity, who was able to give me some good tips on how to make it run better. Between that info and a newly overhauled correct carburetor from Robert Chambers in NJ, I have a very smooth and powerful running 36 hp.

Thank you, gents.. Very Happy

Mike

54 European Sedan deluxe
hightopmafia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

Amazing job
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

Thank you hightopmafia, appreciate it.

Out for a drive today on a beautiful sunny Victoria Day. Used the north side of the Olympic mountains as my backdrop. Thank you Washington state.

Schultz running so nice now, would take him anywhere. Cool

Cheers,
Mike

54 European Sedan deluxe
René R.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

Seriously beautiful -- both car and scenery.
Hazza6542
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

Just spent my morning going through this build from the start, what an amazing job. Hope you're enjoying every second of driving, what a motivation.
Robert Chambers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: My 54 european deluxe from start to finish Reply with quote

Hey Mike,

I just went through your build. Wow, what a beautiful car. Your restoration is top notch. Thanks for the plug on the carb. Glad to hear it is ready to go anywhere. Best of luck and enjoy Schultz! Very Happy

Bob
'63 OG 117
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Page 21 of 23

Jump to: