Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1990 Cabriolet---top replacement
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
FordTrucks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject: 1990 Cabriolet---top replacement Reply with quote

I'm contemplating buying a new canvas convertible top off Ebay, with new wires and a liner.

For a few bucks more I can buy a CD that shows step by step installation. I've put the 16v in this Cabbie, and trannies (no not that kind) and clutches,

While I am an old geezer now, I just wanted to know what am I getting myself into? My aussie dog decided it was more advantageous to climb up the back of the Cabbie, sit up on the soft top and bark at everyone.

Needless to say, she cut the back of the top up pretty good before I caught it.

Is swapping the top hard?
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1990 Cabriolet---top replacement Reply with quote

Lots of people have done it.

I paid a shop to do it and have wished ever since that I did it myself.

The top replacement expert, Brian, has a bunch of instructions listed here:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?1065244-...st56593139 .
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1990 Cabriolet---top replacement Reply with quote

Installing a top is not like bolting on parts.

The top needs to be fiddled with to make if fit right. So there is a lot of trial and error to make certain it fits exactly how you want it to look. Some do not care, others are picky. I've installed a fair share of tops in my life and none were a 'bolt on' affair.

I would spend the extra money to get a canvas top. It has been my experience that they last much longer. Of course, there are others that believe the total opposite.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1990 Cabriolet---top replacement Reply with quote

Welcome to The Samba!

Depends on how much your local shop is quoting for labor. Here they get $1,000+, at that price I'll do it myself. If your local shop quotes you $400, I'd totally let them do it.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
FordTrucks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1990 Cabriolet---top replacement Reply with quote

800 to a grand

I bought a vinyl one off ebay, but I may cancel re order for the canvas

I'll post my progress

I bought this Cabby from a GI near Ford Ord, he went to Iraq and was killed, I sorta kinda like this baby, so....I put a 16v 2l Passat motor in it with a 9A close ratio trans

needless to say it is a tire burner, and a hell of a fun to drive, I stumble upon a Scirocco at Pick a Part with full Koni's and all the sway bars, my grandkids call it

the PUSSYWAGEN

they love driving it, but the top got messed up by the dog

Oh it is a Helios color so it is not all that gay
I do own a pair of Helio 16v;s that are keepers so this one matched
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1990 Cabriolet---top replacement Reply with quote

FordTrucks wrote:
I bought a vinyl one off ebay, but I may cancel re order for the canvas

Vinyl is perfectly fine and lasts a long time, provided it is cared for (canvas isn't maintenance-free either). My Cabriolet's original vinyl top lasted 20 years. Cabriolets did not get canvas tops until the debut of the Etienne Aigner model in late 1990. No need to cancel the order unless you would genuinely prefer canvas.

http://www.cabby-info.com/top.htm#Types

FordTrucks wrote:
my grandkids call it

the PUSSYWAGEN

Oh it is a Helios color so it is not all that gay

Rolling Eyes
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FordTrucks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1990 Cabriolet---top replacement Reply with quote

New canvas top arrived, waiting on cables and the CD. (and someone to help). Stay tuned for updates at 5 and 11pm.
volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: 1990 Cabriolet---top replacement Reply with quote

good luck on your top installation and keeping the GIs memory alive... does any one have any advise on swaping one top to another from a 01 to a 95 ... both are complete but the 01 has no holes and no leaks...thanks Bill
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: